Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295861 times)

Hadrian

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #960 on: 20:18:33, 01/01/20 »

Thanks for the info! I could do with some of that for my own boots too since I've had them a while.

Not super-cheap, but I get mine from Go Outdoors with their discount card/National Trust card.

Little Foot

« Reply #961 on: 20:23:35, 01/01/20 »

Not super-cheap, but I get mine from Go Outdoors with their discount card/National Trust card.

I've got a large Go Outdoors in my city but never been, only looked at their website. How does the discount card work please? Is it a one off purchase?

Hadrian

« Reply #962 on: 20:26:47, 01/01/20 »

I've got a large Go Outdoors in my city but never been, only looked at their website. How does the discount card card please? Is it a one off purchase?

From what I remember it’s £10 for a discount card that lasts a year, but mine has paid for itself many times over this year. As noted, a National Trust card adds a little extra discount on top. Their website prices assume a discount card.
Edit: it’s £5, not £10, and you can pick up in store.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/discount-card

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #963 on: 21:13:06, 01/01/20 »
Yes, £5 and once paid for you can use it instantly.

Little Foot

« Reply #964 on: 21:31:29, 01/01/20 »
Thanks for the info guys! Will look into it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #965 on: 22:23:57, 01/01/20 »

Save yourself a fiver and share a mate's card.
When the GO till person me asks if I have a card I just give them my son's name and his postcode. Never a problem, works every time.
I do however phone him first to make sure he's renewed it!

Ronin83

« Reply #966 on: 09:39:25, 02/01/20 »
Just ordered a snugpak softie expansion 4 for £70. It's £115 on snugpaks website.
Can't wait to test it out.

Little Foot

« Reply #967 on: 11:44:23, 02/01/20 »
Save yourself a fiver and share a mate's card.
When the GO till person me asks if I have a card I just give them my son's name and his postcode. Never a problem, works every time.
I do however phone him first to make sure he's renewed it!

I would but unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one, or is likely to have one. I don't know anyone who is into walking like I am.  :(

Hadrian

« Reply #968 on: 11:55:09, 02/01/20 »

Just for further info - a National Trust card adds an additional 10% discount.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #969 on: 12:26:40, 02/01/20 »

Just for further info - a National Trust card adds an additional 10% discount.

Grrrr - wish I'd known that before buying Christmas presents :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #970 on: 13:11:06, 02/01/20 »
Go also accept Defence Discount cards for an extra discount.  I also have an NT card, I wonder if they will triple discount?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #971 on: 16:16:26, 02/01/20 »
I've just been to my local Three shop to buy a PAYG data SIM card to put in my Mi-Fi so I'm internet-ready when I'm away in La Palma next week. The salesman was very helpful, he told me that if I buy £10 for my Mi-Fi I get 1GB of data, but if I buy £10 for my phone I get 4GB's of data. He then said that once the SIM is activated on my phone I can then put it in my MI-Fi and I will have the 4GB of data available to me. Needless to say, I bought the SIM for my phone and will transfer it to my Mi-Fi shortly. Now I'm wondering, did I understand him correctly?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #972 on: 10:51:04, 03/01/20 »
I've checked, I have bought 4GB for £10, I'm pleased with that but I know that I will never use it all because it finishes after 30 days.

Squacco

« Reply #973 on: 11:32:04, 03/01/20 »
Determined to get the rucksack weight total right down as I can t manage heavy weights nowadays at aged 70 I ve bought a Rab Mythic down sleeping bag at only approx 700 grams. It works well and is good for sub zero nights, pricey though at £400.
 The Neoair mattress won t be used on any more walks.Its not very comfy and a pain to blow up and pack, very slippy too and you slide around on anything but dead level ground . I m knocking 100 grams off the weigh and just going back to a Karrimat.
On my Cleveland Way walk last August the pack weight was around 12 kgs with water and food. I l be doing it again in May or June and with hindsight, starting from Filey there is absolutely no need to carry litres of water or any food until the last big Co-Op shop which is about 5 miles inland from Saltburn as you approach the isolated moorland section with approx 2 days to go to Helmsley.. For the last two days stocking up on food and water is a good idea although there are a few  pubs available not far off the track.
My new target weight for another walk on the Cleveland Way is sub 8 kgs with a lighter tent/rucksack which is easier to erect than the horrible one I used which was plain awful..Why can t someone copy my old Robert Saunders Backpacker design made with lighter modern materials ?
These geodesic hoop designs are just overly complex and and no better at standing up to a gale than the Robert Saunders design

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #974 on: 11:55:39, 03/01/20 »
I too am making a new effort to get my carry weight down. I'm keeping my NeoAir because I like it a lot and it rolls up very small. To inflate it I just use the Thermarest low tech method, just a bag which I attach to the valve, roll up and push the air into it, I've tried puffing it but after about 30 puffs I'm done for! I've also found I've gone back to gear that I had previously rejected, my Golite Jam rucksack and my Alpkit Hunker for example. Buying a new tent for me is by far the hardest decision to make, I just can't find the one that I want!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy