Author Topic: Where's this painted?  (Read 2140 times)

andyotter

Where's this painted?
« on: 08:49:39, 01/02/19 »
A mate of mine recently asked me where I thought this landscape might be. My gut feeling was the English Lakeland, but I've not walked there a lot. Most grateful for any ideas!

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Where's this painted?
« Reply #1 on: 09:27:33, 01/02/19 »
No idea where but a nice painting. Is there a legible signature?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:18:34, 01/02/19 »
It's a beautiful panting, but could be anywhere - Lake District, Snowdonia, the Highlands. Unless someone recognises the view.

Have you tried imageidentify.com, or a reverse image search such as TinEye?

And just out of interest, whose is it?

Edit: Is that initials in the lower righthand corner?
« Last Edit: 15:25:42, 01/02/19 by fernman »

andyotter

« Reply #3 on: 15:35:27, 01/02/19 »
It's a beautiful panting, but could be anywhere - Lake District, Snowdonia, the Highlands. Unless someone recognises the view.

Have you tried imageidentify.com, or a reverse image search such as TinEye?

And just out of interest, whose is it?

Edit: There are some initials in the lower righthand corner.

Yeah, I tried tineye (it rarely works for me!).

As it happens, my mate posted the question on another forum and got this back:
[/font]I suspect this may be looking up the Ogwen river towards the head of the Nant Ffrancon valley. The hill on the left is Pen yr Ole Wen. The steep, faraway hill straight ahead is Tryfan, with its distinctive shoulder ("Tryfan Bach") on its right-hand side.

On the right the dark steep craggy lump is the Castell y Geifr ridge on Y Garn.

having looked at Google photospheres and Geography, this sounds very plausible...

Painting by the way is 1870. My mate thinks Thomas Burton

andyotter

« Reply #4 on: 15:40:19, 01/02/19 »
Have you tried imageidentify.com

Just tried this;  it came up with "European wolf spider" ! You think I'm justified in clicking the "What the Heck!" button?!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:05:05, 01/02/19 »
As it happens, my mate posted the question on another forum and got this back:

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself at that, because I thought it might have been Tryfan on the right!

It reminds me of the work of a late Victorian / early Edwardian artist whose name I can't remember right now, who painted several scenes in the Lledr valley. Or am I thinking of the wrong person?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:41:11, 02/02/19 »
I think your friend may be right, I used to see a painting very similar back in the 1960's. It may have hung in the Douglas Arms in Bethesda and I remember speaking to the owner of the painting. That one was titled with Ogwen Falls in it, though if you google paintings titled Ogwen Falls a more dramatic scene of the outfall of Llyn Ogwen seems to come up. I am sure the landlord of the Dougy name was Geoff, as his neice is the daughter of a neighbouring farmer I grew up with.

He was convinced that the artist had taken a bit of artistic license with the perspective and the actual rocks of the falls, because there is a very similar river scene an Ogwen bank just downstream from Tyn y Maes, though in the 20th century it would have been overpowered by the tips from the Penryn Quarries and the large rock on the left would be out of place. Unless that was altered with development of the A5 by Thomas Telford.

Can't help any more as I cannot remember the name of the artist, but if it was a scene that this particular artist painted many times it may well account for his skill in taking a bit of liberty with foreground and background.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

andyotter

« Reply #7 on: 15:24:38, 02/02/19 »
I think your friend may be right, I used to see a painting very similar back in the 1960's. It may have hung in the Douglas Arms in Bethesda and I remember speaking to the owner of the painting. That one was titled with Ogwen Falls in it, though if you google paintings titled Ogwen Falls a more dramatic scene of the outfall of Llyn Ogwen seems to come up. I am sure the landlord of the Dougy name was Geoff, as his neice is the daughter of a neighbouring farmer I grew up with.

He was convinced that the artist had taken a bit of artistic license with the perspective and the actual rocks of the falls, because there is a very similar river scene an Ogwen bank just downstream from Tyn y Maes, though in the 20th century it would have been overpowered by the tips from the Penryn Quarries and the large rock on the left would be out of place. Unless that was altered with development of the A5 by Thomas Telford.

Can't help any more as I cannot remember the name of the artist, but if it was a scene that this particular artist painted many times it may well account for his skill in taking a bit of liberty with foreground and background.
that's very interesting as the perspective of the distant hills is more like that one would get from Tyn y Maes, but the river looks wrong there

andyotter

« Reply #8 on: 15:27:14, 02/02/19 »
I'm feeling quite pleased with myself at that, because I thought it might have been Tryfan on the right!

It reminds me of the work of a late Victorian / early Edwardian artist whose name I can't remember right now, who painted several scenes in the Lledr valley. Or am I thinking of the wrong person?

Apparently, the artist is Thomas Joseph Banks, 1828 – 1896

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy