Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire  (Read 10166 times)

footix2

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire
« Reply #15 on: 16:37:42, 12/01/13 »
The national park as abou balancing protection of the area while promoting the area as a place for everyone. I just think this decision leans way too far in the direction of conservation

The Tesco analogy is complete straw man argument son ill disregard that.
82/214

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:50:43, 12/01/13 »

I just think this decision leans way too far in the direction of conservation

maybe the fact that the zip-wire was planned on a SSSI might have had something to do with it?  ::)

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:50:45, 12/01/13 »
I'm pretty ambivalent to it but you don't want to go setting a precedent or it'll be the thin end of a big fat wedge.  So all in all better off without.   
Want thrills and excitement hire a local guide for a day.  You'll learn stuff you can apply for years, still be supporting local business and it won't be over in a couple of minutes.  

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:13:34, 12/01/13 »
Well said  ;)
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:35:15, 12/01/13 »
Glyno if you are canvassing for a supermarket at Wasdale Head can it be Sainsbury's instead?  ;D . I love the NT campsite at Wasdale Head - I just wish it sold a better choice of food!

I see you are going to be in the Lakes for the next few days - I hope the weather is kind to you. I was on Helvellyn today and apart from the arctic wind it was glorious. I've been on holiday from work since Wednesday and I've had quite good weather most days. Totally cream crackered now. Back to work Monday  :(   It's a shame I would have popped across to join you and the other forumites (is this a proper word?) on one of the walks. Enjoy your time in the Lakes Glyno  O0
Hate will never win

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:00:28, 13/01/13 »
 what a load of NIMBY's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:18:40, 13/01/13 »

D

O0 :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:48:28, 15/01/13 »

D

except my back yard is about 130 miles from Honister!  ???

(...he says, typing this in Costa Coffee, Keswick)  :)

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:39:38, 15/01/13 »

D

I'm happy to have a zip wire in my back yard, well my local rec ground  O0
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:01:46, 16/01/13 »

D
Not only is that such an cheep comment, as it means no one can object to any local issue, but it is not true of most people on the forum.

I didn't object to Go Ape setting up in the nearest woods to my house but wouldn't want them in some areas that are 5 hours drive away.

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:10:28, 16/01/13 »
Not only is that such an cheep comment, as it means no one can object to any local issue, but it is not true of most people on the forum.

I didn't object to Go Ape setting up in the nearest woods to my house but wouldn't want them in some areas that are 5 hours drive away.

Think what you like mate !!!  ;D

My comment stands as it was aimed at the people that stated that they don't want a zip wire in the Lakes but are happy it goes elsewhere !

:)

D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:45:37, 16/01/13 »

Think what you like mate !!!  ;D

My comment stands as it was aimed at the people that stated that they don't want a zip wire in the Lakes but are happy it goes elsewhere !

:)

D

The people against the zip wire were against a zip wire being put on top of a fell. I wouldn't be against a zip wire being put up elsewhere in the Lake District if it is put in the right place. The Go Ape thing at Whinlatter - I have no problem with that!
Hate will never win

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:04:17, 16/01/13 »

The people against the zip wire were against a zip wire being put on top of a fell. I wouldn't be against a zip wire being put up elsewhere in the Lake District if it is put in the right place. The Go Ape thing at Whinlatter - I have no problem with that!

Where would you not be against a zip wire then...... at the bottom of a fell?   ???

D

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:05:41, 16/01/13 »
I've done the via ferrata at Honister and it was expensive but good fun, the cafe was pretty bad and i was surprised to see pay and display in the car park somewhere as remote as Honister, overall the whole place gives me the impression it is totally money orientated and the cafe quality and service was representative of this, very little enthusiasm from the staff.

As for the zip wire, again like Wurz ambivalent, pros and cons. What does irritate me is bloody windfarms. The great myth of our age and as this weeks news has highlighted the tax payer is going to be out of pocket and the windfarm companies will trouser greater chunks of money. And to add insult to injury the bloody things ruin the landscape. Stick them on top of skyscrapers in the cities along with the phone masts and aerials, satellite dishes and cranes.
'You only get out what you put in...'

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:16:54, 16/01/13 »
Hello Scarface :)

Now back to Nimby's

So happy for other people to have Zip Wires but not in their back yard. Why don't we put the Lakes in moth balls and ban all infernal machines, horse and cart for everyone or solid wheeled  tricycles that is what we need and get rid of all those smelly motor boats. Not forgetting removing all those ugly Radio, TV, and Phone Masts.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy