Author Topic: Teesdale Spring Gentians  (Read 4362 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Teesdale Spring Gentians
« on: 17:00:04, 03/05/08 »
I know I said I wouldnt post about this - but  I was directed to this large patch of spring gentians whilst out doing a spot of "rangering" in Upper Teesdale today and I thought I would share the pic. (and a couple of other ones)
Some peeps get quite excited about spring gentians - because they're on the rare side.  They seem to have done specially well this year so far - possibly due to the extra snowfall.  The pic shows gentians at a fairly low level (400 metres) and not much more than a hefty spit from the Pennine Way.  Gentians at Cow Green were limited to only two, flowering at 510 metres - but there's more on the way.
Me and Doug walked along the Cow Green nature trail as far as Cauldron Snout, back over the dam and back to the car park - about 3 miles. The objective was to see whatever flowers and birds were around and let people at the reserve HQ at Widdybank Farm know what was there (not many flowers, but a lot of birds) -  and try to engage  with any walkers around about the NNR - and also do a bit of lightweight policing - keeping peeps on the path, that kind of thing.
One group staying at  the YHA wanted to know how to watch the local black grouse lek, and there was another big group on a long weekend from Scotland walking to High Cup Nick.
One further piece of useful(ish) info -for anybody intent on bagging the Hewitt/Nuttall/marilyn of Meldon Hill from Cow Green- use the dam wall, folks.... the river crossings above the reservoir are generally OK, but  you get to keep your feet dry going this way. (It used to be verboten, but its OK now)
« Last Edit: 17:14:32, 03/05/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

garyr

• Veteran Member
Re: Teesdale Spring Gentians
« Reply #1 on: 21:08:05, 05/05/08 »
Mike - you were luckier than us, we've just been over Cronkley Fell today and we could only find one gentian out!

The photo's of the rest of the walk upto Cauldron snout and back along the river are on my web site!

Gary

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:26:08, 05/05/08 »
Very few gentians, or anything else for that matter on Cronkley or on Widdybank/ Cow Green at the moment - it seems to have been a late spring. On Widdybank Fell, however, there were two gentians in flower yesterday, but another dozen to twenty with flower spikes which, given a bit of warm sunshine and no grazing should be flowering nicely in a few days. Unfortunately, these are off the path in an area where peeps aren't supposed to go.
We did see some daisies (!) and  some Scottish asphodels, though at high levels.
The Cronkley gentians might be hiding in the exclosures on the sugar limestone (fenced off area right on the top) which will be difficult to see, cos they're only little things and its a big exclosure. You need to get your eye in to start seeing them... We don't believe that the sheep and wabbits have scoffed them all.....

On another note, however, I noticed  today that Barnard Castle main street now has a noisy population of swifts. (or were they swallows?) - and the bluebells, primroses and ransoms are flowering nicely in the woods..... It must be summer...

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:38:15, 05/05/08 »
Mikewe had a very good look in all of the enclosures, not much sign of anything yet, but as you said its a bit of a late spring. We have lots of Swifts down at home, which is a bit further down the river from Barnard Castle, loads of bluebells in the garden to!

Gary

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:41:50, 05/05/08 »
Just had a look at your website report Gary - I see now that you did spot the gentian in the exclosures.   You need to hover over the place about a foot above the ground to get a good view of whatevers in there....   I find this feat to be quite difficult!   There's supposed to be birds eye primrose in there too, but no sign of these just yet either.  BE primrose had a good year last year and flowered twice, so there should be lots of them this year.   Cracking pics by the way - its quite a facinating area, in my opinion.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy