Author Topic: Advice on C2C, please  (Read 3043 times)

AFANASIEW

Advice on C2C, please
« on: 09:49:48, 08/05/19 »
Crazy I know - I'm about to do LEJOG, but I'm thinking ahead to the desolate feeling you get as you complete a long walk, and am preparing for it by having the next one already in mind.
Can you let me have your tips for the Coast to Coast? I'd aim to do it in 12 days. What's the best time of year? Which direction? How far ahead do you need to book accommodation? Best guide book? Etc.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on C2C, please
« Reply #1 on: 10:17:50, 08/05/19 »
I start on 27 June and also have a 12 day trip planned.  Starting booking b&bs back in September.  As for any other tips I can't offer any having not done it yet!
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 10:19:46, 08/05/19 »
I start on 27 June and also have a 12 day trip planned.  Starting booking b&bs back in September.  As for any other tips I can't offer any having not done it yet!

Let us know how you get on. Hope all goes well.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:36:10, 08/05/19 »
Hoping so  O0

For sure I'll be reporting back  :)
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:31:22, 08/05/19 »
It’s 10 years ago now that we did it, but it was the busiest LDW we have done. We booked up in January to walk it in the September and a lot of B&Bs were already booked up then. Places to think about are Keld as it crosses with the Pennine Way ( I think we got the last room there!), Grasmere a lot of places only take two night bookings at weekends. The other place we had trouble with was Blakey Ridge, we couldn’t get into the Lion Inn and had to go down to Farndale.  We did W to E which is the direction most people do, and we were blown along by the tail end of a couple of american hurricanes in September! It was also very wet, but that seems to be us, it happens whenever we plan a long walk.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #5 on: 12:59:49, 08/05/19 »
It’s 10 years ago now that we did it... It was also very wet, but that seems to be us, it happens whenever we plan a long walk.

Thanks RR. I had been hoping that, if I left it until Sept, it might be less busy.

Key question - when's your next planned long walk??

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:04:06, 08/05/19 »
[quote author=AFANASIEW link=topic=38420.msg546572#msg546572 date=1557316789)

Key question - when's your next planned long walk??
(/quote)

Haha! Just posted our schedule for the Two Moors Way 17-26 June  ;D
« Last Edit: 13:07:13, 08/05/19 by rural roamer »

AFANASIEW

« Reply #7 on: 13:14:10, 08/05/19 »
(/quote)

Haha! Just posted our schedule for the Two Moors Way 17-26 June  ;D

I would say I'll avoid that then, but in fact I'll be between Bridgwater and Hay on Wye on my way up the country. I'll make sure I have waterproofs and gaiters!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:16:13, 09/05/19 »
Oh well at least you’re past Devon then!

I think June and September are both quite popular months. One B&B owner once told me that all the retirees come out in September and actually August isn’t so busy. But I can’t remember which walk that was! I do remember though that when we did the Cotswold Way we started at the beginning of the week right at the end of August/ beg Sept. Families weren’t out and about as they were going back to school later that week and those without children weren’t starting until the following week. We hardly met anyone doing the walk, but the baggage transfer people told us the next week they were going to be really busy.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 14:28:38, 09/05/19 »
That's a really good tip, RR, worth bearing in mind for next year - thanks.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:03:19, 12/05/19 »
Ive done the C2C  a couple of times in early September, which was ok weather wise but also had a days downpour too.I think may is also a good month, can be wet in june, however you never know with our weather do you.As for guidebooks, Ive got the Steadman, Martin Waiwright, A - Z, and Alfred Waiwright.Along Swaledale, you can opt for the high level route from Keld to Reeth, which is by far the most interesting, or the Low Level route as far as Gunnerside. From Gunnerside to Reeth, there is the continuation of the Low Level route that follows the river most of the way, or the Mid Level route ascending out of Gunnerside, which is the least interesting of all.The A - Z gives OS maps 1:25,000 which I prefer and is excellent. It's only fault imo is that it follows the Mid level route out of Gunnerside, as does the Steadman, the others follow the Low Level riverside route to Reeth.What I would do is follow the High level route from Keld, but if you want to do the Low Level one then I'd simply follow the marked route to Gunnerside then follow the ROW alongside the river to Reeth, then back on the marked route from there.To be sure of accomodation next year you need to get booking soon.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #11 on: 15:58:43, 12/05/19 »
Thanks, Slogger. I'm too pre-occupied with my upcoming LEJOG to plan and book the C2C yet, but I'll certainly be looking to do so by the end of August - so a year in advance. I've duly noted your recommendation for Swaledale and will take a copy of the A to Z.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:12:37, 12/05/19 »
Once I've done my C2C in July I can PM you the b&bs I've used with comments if that would help  :-\
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #13 on: 16:24:18, 12/05/19 »
Once I've done my C2C in July I can PM you the b&bs I've used with comments if that would help  :-\
That'd be much appreciated, sussamb.  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:17:01, 12/05/19 »
No worries, you should see a TR around mid July so if you don't hear from me remind me  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy