Author Topic: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators  (Read 3872 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53127083

To be fair it's never been right since the day JD Sports bought it and took over.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators
« Reply #1 on: 12:23:59, 22/06/20 »
I've always liked Go Outdoors because of the range, decent prices and reasonably knowledgeable staff. The Canterbury store is about 8 miles from where I live and I've often walked there and back just to browse and sometimes buy something.

My favourite Canterbury outdoor shop was Cotswold Outdoor, but that closed a few months ago. The staff used to greet me by name; I was very sad to see them go.  :(

There's still Mountain Warehouse of course, and a Trespass shop opened on the high street a few months ago.

Fortunately there's a Rohan store in Canterbury - it's small, but has excellent staff... and gear!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:21:28, 22/06/20 »
Maybe it just confirms that the world we knew at the beginning of the year is dying in front of our very eyes? My wife and I live next door to a large shopping centre but we will not be going back there. For three reasons really, it's usually cheaper for us to buy what we want online, we refuse to become part of the 'shopping herd' that is now demanded of us (it's like coming through passport control at Gatwick!) and its a humiliating experience anyway and we want to try to LIVE through this virus! Over the past weeks, we have both seen too much wacky and crazy behaviour in queues, so for us now, we will always try to buy online!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:54:03, 22/06/20 »
Maybe it just confirms that the world we knew at the beginning of the year is dying in front of our very eyes? My wife and I live next door to a large shopping centre but we will not be going back there. For three reasons really, it's usually cheaper for us to buy what we want online, we refuse to become part of the 'shopping herd' that is now demanded of us (it's like coming through passport control at Gatwick!) and its a humiliating experience anyway and we want to try to LIVE through this virus! Over the past weeks, we have both seen too much wacky and crazy behaviour in queues, so for us now, we will always try to buy online!
Does that mean we can have HMS Vernon back?
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:32:25, 22/06/20 »
For my wife and me, browsing and shopping for walking stuff is a very pleasurable side to being walkers. Even when there's nothing we really need or want, we like browsing outdoor shops such as Go Outdoors. To us, it's all part of the fun.

With Canterbury having a good number of outdoor shops that are 7-8 miles away, I've frequently used the 'excuse' that I want to go and have a look at or buy something as the basis for a very pleasant solo there-and-back walk.

I'm not against buying things online, but I do like to touch and try on most walking gear. Sometimes I even like to talk to someone about what I'm interested in buying. I've bought a couple of cheap items online from Sports Direct, but the only other walking gear I've bought online have been shoes that are direct replacements for ones I've just worn out.

I can't imagine doing things differently. Last year, I went to Go Outdoors convinced I was going to buy a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes because I'd read good things about them and thought they'd be ideal. I tried a pair on and immediately knew they weren't for me - I bought a pair of different shoes instead because they felt just right. I don't fancy trying several pairs of shoes in two different sizes by mail order.

As long as there are still shops, I'll keep on using them!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:00:04, 22/06/20 »
We have very few decent outdoor shops in our area as it is! Go Outdoors is on the outskirts of Ipswich about 6 miles from us. Ipswich town centre has a Millets and a small individual shop (good if they have what you want). I think there was a Trespass that closed and Cotswold Outdoors closed. There is a Rohan in Woodbridge and for some reason we have 3 Mountain Warehouses very close to each other, one in Woodbridge, one by Dobbies just outside Woodbridge and another on a retail park in Martlesham! We keep thinking they’ll close one soon but they’ve all been open a while now, good for some things but not for decent gear!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:27:18, 22/06/20 »
The reality is that for the vast majority of bricks and mortar retailers the writing has been on the wall for over 30 years since the internet started to grow to the point where these days it's become a necessity of everyday life.

Sadly they've chosen to stick their heads in the sand and continued to believe that they could compete with the online only retailers and keep their bricks and mortar premises as well.

I've said before that apart from a very select few the days of "shops" as we know/knew them are numbered - the state of your local high street is all the evidence you need to see.

What is totally surprising is that most of the manufacturers don't appear to have looked at the bigger picture and moved to direct retailing to the customer cutting the retailers out of the market altogether. To make it successful they just need to offer free returns/exchanges on everything and a much larger slice of the pie would be theirs for the taking. There's clearly enough margin in it to make it a feasible proposition and it could ultimately reduce retail prices for the consumer.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:04:43, 22/06/20 »
It is, I believe, obvious how things are going and have been for some time. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

I think that a forum is an appropriate place to express how we feel about the things that affect us, and local outdoor shops closing down affects me quite significantly.

Of course it was inevitable, because for too many people (in my humble opinion), saving a few quid and not having to go out has trumped personal service, caring about our town centres, and touching and trying goods before buying them. I admit to being contemptuous of those who use retail stores to check out items before buying them online.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:08:44, 22/06/20 »
I have to say that there are some things that I would just not consider buying online - boots and rucksack spring to mind, as fit is so important.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:13:56, 22/06/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53127083

To be fair it's never been right since the day JD Sports bought it and took over.

Losing GO will be a drop in the ocean for JD Sports.

I feel for the people who work in GO.  Probably furloughed then to come back to this news.  As if times weren't crappy enough  :(

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:23:29, 22/06/20 »
How come the sweary-filter didn't censor "crappy" but did my far less offensive word in the "passing the hours" thread?  ;D

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:55:20, 22/06/20 »
Of course it was inevitable, because for too many people (in my humble opinion), saving a few quid and not having to go out has trumped personal service, caring about our town centres, and touching and trying goods before buying them. I admit to being contemptuous of those who use retail stores to check out items before buying them online.
Today, while buying a low value item in store, the assistant tried 3 times to up sell to me.  I started off saying I only wanted the one thing, then restated it, then said no, and no again, then I walked away.  Found a sensible member f staff and complained, politely.
It was only a coffee.
So personal service, no thanks.

I feel for the people who work in GO.  Probably furloughed then to come back to this news.  As if times weren't crappy enough  :(
They will just shift the stock, and possibly branding, to other stores in the group, if they don't pre-pack.

The reality is that for the vast majority of bricks and mortar retailers the writing has been on the wall for over 30 years since the internet started to grow to the point where these days it's become a necessity of everyday life.

Sadly they've chosen to stick their heads in the sand and continued to believe that they could compete with the online only retailers and keep their bricks and mortar premises as well.

I've said before that apart from a very select few the days of "shops" as we know/knew them are numbered - the state of your local high street is all the evidence you need to see.

What is totally surprising is that most of the manufacturers don't appear to have looked at the bigger picture and moved to direct retailing to the customer cutting the retailers out of the market altogether. To make it successful they just need to offer free returns/exchanges on everything and a much larger slice of the pie would be theirs for the taking. There's clearly enough margin in it to make it a feasible proposition and it could ultimately reduce retail prices for the consumer.
Most large retailers have been banging on about the high cost of running retail units for decades, the smart ones have already closed down.  Trouble is, our business legal system makes it easier to go into liquidation/receivership/administration, than get out of a landlords lease.
One thing that the 'High Street' has not got to grips with is the changing demographics, they still think that women are free to shop between 9AM and 5:30PM.  I think more than half the workforce is now female.
The worse offenders are the small independents, they still want half day closing.
Penzance would be dead without the chains, they are keeping the town alive, just.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:09:28, 22/06/20 »

I would agree unless we suddenly start to see other parts of the JD Sports group such as Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors and Tiso start to go the same way in swift succession.

I suppose buying a company and then deliberately running it into the ground is just one way of deliberately getting rid of the competition and gaining market share. I honestly believe them blaming Coronavirus is just a timely and convenient excuse for them to use. Hopefully some of the Go Outdoors staff will be relocated within the remaining companies within the group.

I can't put my finger on it but in my opinion something just hasn't felt right about Go Outdoors since the day JD Sports took over. From what I've seen and read both here and elsewhere of the continual problems with the "new" website and continual lack of stock and taking no decisive action to put things right immediately it may possibly have been the intention all along and just part of the overall master plan.

How come the sweary-filter didn't censor "crappy" but did my far less offensive word in the "passing the hours" thread?  ;D

Less offensive is a very subjective description and mostly depends on where you live in the country but it really depends whether it was an F, B or S word. As it happens it really doesn't matter which it was because as you know Microsoft are never wrong!  ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:14:00, 22/06/20 »
It was only a coffee.
So personal service, no thanks.

So you'll be buying your coffee online from now on then?  ::)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:31:43, 22/06/20 »
I'm a capitalist so have no guilt feelings whatsoever about checking out items before buying them online. To me, it's the same as going into one shop and buying the same product in another because the second shop is cheaper. For example, in the past, just like going into Cotswolds but then buying the product at GO.

Maybe town centres could become housing estates to avoid building on green sites?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy