Author Topic: Boulsworth hill  (Read 3657 times)

boothy77

Boulsworth hill
« on: 20:15:01, 26/02/13 »
Has anyone ever walked Boulsworth hill from Hebden bridge? im planning on doing it next monday and just wondered if it was an easy route to follow?

Robnolan

Re: Boulsworth hill
« Reply #1 on: 22:27:44, 26/02/13 »
I haven't been to Boulsworth. It's one of those areas we never go to. I'd be interested in what you thought though

fat goat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:52:22, 27/02/13 »
As one of the three peaks of Pendle it is on my "to-do" list but sadly not this weekend as I'll be at the other side of the M65 in Barley and have to work on monday. I'll be really eager to read any trip reports, good luck with the walk :)

According to Jack Keighley's "Walks in the South Pennines" the very top the area around Little Chair Stones and Weather Stones can be "very confusing in thick mist". His route starts at Trawden 'tho so I don't know how much use his words maybe :)
You don't scare me, I did the Amble - deliberately
www.westpennineswanderer.co.uk

jo90

« Reply #3 on: 22:05:10, 27/02/13 »
Never walked it from Hebden Bridge but I've done Bouldsworth hill from both Trawden and from Haworth. The route From Trawden is a nice streight forward route. The one from Haworth is easy all the way past Top Withens with a clear path to the trig point and down to Alcomden Stones But from there it's a pathless crossing to Crow Hill and then onto Bouldsworth. a fantastic walk in summer but involves quite a bit of crossing dykes and peat bog so not so great this time of year. What route have  you planned?

dunc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:49:44, 28/02/13 »
Hi, this is the back of beyond from the Yorkshire side - there are no official footpaths as it is part of the Walshaw and Lancashire Moor shooting estate. At this time of year to avoid loads of boggy heather bashing the best way from Hebden Bridge would be up through Hardcastle Crags as far as Blake Dean then following the path along the edge of the clough towards Widdop. If you head via whatever route you choose to the far end of Widdop reservoir, there is a track off to the right which takes you to the foot of the Boulsworth ridge with a clear path up on to the plateau from there. Should even be a doddle in mist  O0 
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

jo90

« Reply #5 on: 21:57:34, 28/02/13 »
dunc,Thats the route I'd do it if I was gonna walk it from Hebden Bridge. As you say any other route involves lots of heather bashing with no paths what so ever.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:03:32, 01/03/13 »
Cracking. Blake Dean is certainly worth a stop O0 . Cemetary and little Church there worth a look. Although you can avoid the sometimes slippy banks of Black Dean if its a bogmire by bypassing it at Walshaw Farm. Doing it that way you will miss Blake Dean and Long Gutter (which reveals the temporary train line and bridge crossing for the supply of the materials for construction of Walshaw Dean Reservoir)/

ps nice to see you back Dink O0
R.I.P. Dave.

boothy77

« Reply #7 on: 01:19:54, 02/03/13 »
i was planning pretty much the same route the dunc described...still planning to do it monday weather permitting so will upload pictures and let you know how i got on cheers guys

precious feeney

« Reply #8 on: 16:58:20, 05/08/15 »
I have been walking up Boulsworth for over 20 years, it was always a very peacefull walk, and a good trek over to top withens.
Sadly, of late,the walk up Boulsworth  has been inhibited by cyclist flying down.
Dont consider late night adventure treks, came down once and as well as getting blinded by the light of the mountain bikers, was almost hit by one.
The other issue of late has been overprotective landowners.
It took years to open Boulsworth to the public back in the day, and now, though the walk up Boulsworth seems to be free of the hoursey set, venturing further towards Trawden, one is met with land taken up by pretend farmers and horse owners whom seem hell bent on dictating rights of way and footpath laws.
Personally, now, I use alternate routes, bypass Trawden, and keep to the side of the pennines that encouraged me to hike years ago.
Top Withens has always been welcoming and for all, not just for those with enough brass to do their best to discourage hikers and ramblers, shame when one thinks of the reputation of nearby Colne, the insignificance of Lancashire in National self catering brochures like welcome cottage, and the rest, and the unpopularity of Boulsworth when matched to Howarth or the Dales.

harry_keogh

« Reply #9 on: 11:37:22, 04/11/15 »
^^ Didn't realise it was like that - I am planning on doing it sometime in the next year as part of a Pendle 3 Peaks long daywalk. Was planning on just using the track marked on the OS map that leaves and rejoins the Pendle Way path but you're saying I might have issues here?

Oxenhoper

« Reply #10 on: 01:50:57, 11/01/16 »
The route from Top Withens to Boulsworth Hill would presumably be via Alcomden Stones to Crow Hill then follow the ridge?

What's the going like?  The last and only time I walked from Top Withens to Crow Hill it was as boggy as hell beyond the Stones and very slow going.  There was a path initially but I soon lost it in the heather burning.  Does it go all the way or is picking your way across the bog inevitable?

Crow Hill down to Ponden Reservoir was pretty good going though, with a path of sorts as far as the track marked on the OS map.  Perhaps Ponden would make a good starting point for the ascent of Boulsworth Hill?
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy