Author Topic: (TR) Those Summer nights  (Read 3429 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
(TR) Those Summer nights
« on: 15:40:39, 27/07/15 »

Once again the weather this summer has been superb this year so I have been too busy walking/scrambling/climbing to write up trip reports or process my photos and now have another massive backlog activities.

Anyhow today for a change I woke to the pitter patter of rain on my windows and decided to have a key tapping session and maybe catch up a little.

The one thing I really love about summer is going out walking/bouldering/climbing on an evening after work.

Its something I have done all my adult life, to me its what summer is all about, that almost a spiritual feeling escaping for a few midweek hours of physical outdoor excersize away from the grind of working life. Slowly watching the sun drop below the horizon then as darkness enfolds sadly its over and time to pack up and go home to normal life.

These photos were taken on a recent walk we did that links Almscliffe with the lesser known Little Almscliffe its approx 8 mls and ideal for a summer evening of course we timed it to get to the main event for sunset.

Bouldering at Almscliff midweek is always really social and as usual we met up with some mates had a natter, caught up, took some photos and arranged to meet up in the Hunters pub on the Otley Road after the sun had gone down.

Magic!!!!!!

April

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) Those Summer nights
« Reply #1 on: 22:27:16, 27/07/15 »
More great pics mwm  O0
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:29:22, 28/07/15 »
Great photos, gives me a real pang of nostalgia as my rock hound days are over and now I must follow your example and post a TR or 2, Galloway was great and lots of photos to process.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:39:51, 28/07/15 »
Thanks April

Great photos, gives me a real pang of nostalgia as my rock hound days are over and now I must follow your example and post a TR or 2, Galloway was great and lots of photos to process.

Don't be spilling the beans about Galloway  ;D

Keep the mindless morons in the crowded Lakes for their summer hols.

BTW was looking at the excellent Brandon mountain blog yesterday and its just struck me that Merrick's lock valley is very similar to the paternoster lakes feature.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:20:58, 28/07/15 »

Keep the mindless morons in the crowded Lakes for their summer hols.

Brilliant. How to insult a huge percentage of this forum in one fell swoop.

April

• Veteran Member
Hate will never win

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 04:45:03, 29/07/15 »
I rather suspect his sweeping generalisation was more to do with his comparison of the quietness of Galloway to the 'crowded' Lakes, and that only a 'mindless moron' would visit the latter in summer.

...though I could, of course, be wrong  ::)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:14:52, 30/07/15 »
A bit out of my league is all this type of climbing but great pictures, Me and Mrs R set of to Galloway in our caravan just under 2 years ago and got as far as the lakes and are still there  :)
I cant get enough of the area  O0
For me I love it when its quiet and when its busy both have positives and negatives and I just fit in, I hate those people with no thought for others and bring nothing of value to the area and are just about themselves but you get that everywhere  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:21:02, 31/07/15 »
Great photos and agree about that way of finishing the night as the sun sets.
Love Almscliffe, although I haven't climbed there for a while. Funnily enough I live not 200yds from the Wharfe (downstream).
I've got that tingling sensation in my fingers just thinking about it.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:00:00, 26/08/15 »
Thanks for the kind comments guys

I cant get enough of the area

Yes I love the lakes too, but there is a whole big world out there to explore as well.

Great photos, gives me a real pang of nostalgia as my rock hound days are over

You have just gotta keep the faith

Great photos and agree about that way of finishing the night as the sun sets.
Love Almscliffe, although I haven't climbed there for a while. Funnily enough I live not 200yds from the Wharfe (downstream).
I've got that tingling sensation in my fingers just thinking about it.

Yea once its in your blood you can't get rid, wished I had taken my rock shoes with me that night so I went back the next day to boulder. If you fancy a session give me a shout.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:29:38, 26/08/15 »
Yea once its in your blood you can't get rid, wished I had taken my rock shoes with me that night so I went back the next day to boulder. If you fancy a session give me a shout.

I may just take you up on that sometime  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy