Author Topic: Whernside 5-3-16  (Read 2475 times)

GazzerG

Whernside 5-3-16
« on: 11:35:28, 06/03/16 »

After walking Ingleborough a few weeks back and getting caught in a blizzard, we thought we would give Whernside a go this week
Forecast for the day was dry, but possible sleet/snow from 12.30 onward. Given the forecast, I thought it could be busy early on so planned to arrive at 9am
Just like to appologise to the 19 year old golf gti driver, who I stopped suddenly in front of to grab a picture of Ingleborough, honestly if I knew that you where only
6" from my tow bar for the last mile or so, I would of put my hazards on....honest  :P

Worth the royal salute from a kid  :)

The road leading to the Ribble viaduct, in front of White Scar caves was treacherous, it was literally like an ice rink.
We made in one piece to the road side parking at around 8.45am, thankfully there was only one other car parked up.

View from the parking area with our task for the day. Looks like the views from the summit will be none existant

We took a bit of a wide berth from the main path, so I could snap the viaduct head on. Got a bit snap happy knowing there wouldn't be much photo opportunities
later on

Some pictures just scream to be taken, viaduct with Ingleborough behind

And again from a bit further on

Our route was to follow the train track, past Blea Moor signal box and Force Gill Waterfall

After passing the signal box and reaching the small railway bridge, I was fascinated by the diversion of the river away from the rail line.
I had not come across anything like this in my walks so far, but I guess its quite common

Rail Line

The diversion

Just after the river diversion, I spotted Force Gill. With no real route to get closer, I went a bit Bear Grylls to get a closer look  ;D

After returning to the path I decided to get the micro spikes on, as the path was getting a quite bit icier and visibility was dropping.
My mate whipped a pair out of his bag...£5.99 from fleaBay  ;D , they may look similar, but he will soon learn otherwise.
On reaching the first stile, visibility was not good and the temperature dropped

After reaching the top of the image above, visibility was around 20'. In the distance, we could just make out 2 figures just standing there, as we got closer
it was a middle aged man with his daughter late teens early 20's. I asked had they given up and decided to turn back, surprisingly he said no and explained how he had walked the
hill a few weeks back, but wasn't too sure which way to go. With the snow and poor visibility, the path was gone and they had veered off a few times and ended up waist deep.
I asked why they hadn't turned around, to which he said that they were doing the 3 Yorkshire Peaks in June and wanted to visit the top.
After questioning his sanity and not being able to talk them out of it, they accompanied us to the summit.

The summit is here somewhere?

Here?

There it is

After a short stop we asked if they wanted to carry on with us. They declined and wanted to retrace their steps for an easier decent.
Another few different groups had arrived on the summit by this time, arriving from the opposite direction and after quick chat with one of them explaining what had happened
they agreed to keep an eye on them as the descended.

As we began our decent, I wasn't sure if we were going the right way... GPS says we where fine, but fresh snow when a couple of groups had met us on the summit
coming from this direction?

I think we will have to climb over this stile

You go first while a take a picture of the break in the cloud  :P ;D

It was at this point my mates first microspike snapped  ;D ;D , his other was soon to follow
As we descended further, some of the views we where deprived of began to appear. I sat in the snow and had 'moment'

Pen-y-Ghent

Ingleborough

I could of sat here for hours, but the [censored] cheeks where going numb and the foretasted sleet/rain clouds had started to arrive

Looking back to Whernside

I was amazed by the sheer amount of walkers that where now passing us en route to the summit. Do these people not watch the forecast?
The rain/sleet had started and the temperature dropped again. Although we where deprived of some views, we totally enjoyed the day.
As we reached the viaduct for the final time, we crossed paths with the father and daughter again, who made it back in one piece

Route for the day was 13.8K, 3hrs 45mins

Markdvs

Re: Whernside 5-3-16
« Reply #1 on: 11:38:18, 06/03/16 »
Just wow . Simply stunning photos .

Never been here , yet another one to add to my 'to do' list .

:)
It's all downhill from now on up .

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:39:31, 06/03/16 »
Oh wow Gazza now that's what I call excellent photographs, the colour balance everything is spot on!  So pleased you shared them :)

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:39:43, 06/03/16 »
Brilliant trip report and great photos... thank you!

I visit Whernside 2 or 3 times a week to walk the dog, you may be surprised how rare it is to get 'clean' shots of the viaduct without a minibus in the shot.:)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:23:55, 06/03/16 »
Nice pics.  I laughed when I saw the pic of the stone snicket thingy (is there a name for it) type of style.  The Trig point is on the other side - and I think it's been reset recently because every walker that went through it complained that it was far too tight - they must have put on weight, etc. etc.  One poor guy nearly didn't make it through.

Class pics gazza - you'll just have to go up again if you want to see the views.  ;) ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:11:23, 07/03/16 »
Excellent photos Gazzer O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:15:57, 07/03/16 »
Nice pics.  I laughed when I saw the pic of the stone snicket thingy (is there a name for it) type of style.  The Trig point is on the other side - and I think it's been reset recently because every walker that went through it complained that it was far too tight - they must have put on weight, etc. etc.  One poor guy nearly didn't make it through.

Class pics gazza - you'll just have to go up again if you want to see the views.  ;) ;)

I stopped trying.. even Scally got stuck..

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:33:17, 07/03/16 »

I stopped trying.. even Scally got stuck..

No chance for me then if Scally can't get through  :o

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:46:32, 07/03/16 »
Nice pics.  I laughed when I saw the pic of the stone snicket thingy (is there a name for it) type of style. 
Squeeze stile.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:15:03, 07/03/16 »
Nice TR and superb pics O0
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:36:04, 07/03/16 »
Great TR Gazza, love the pics, really sharp  O0

Just like to appologise to the 19 year old golf gti driver, who I stopped suddenly in front of to grab a picture of Ingleborough, honestly if I knew that you where only
6" from my tow bar for the last mile or so, I would of put my hazards on....honest  :P

;D
Not all those who wander are lost

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:11:23, 08/03/16 »
Lovely vivid pictures as usual Gazzer  O0 
Some people really dont have a clue how the conditions a few hundred feet up can change  :(
Flebay £5.99 Microspikes  ;D  you get what you pay for i guess  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:15:40, 08/03/16 »
Stunning shots as usual Gazzer  O0 Love the viaduct ones especially  O0
Hate will never win

GazzerG

« Reply #13 on: 13:11:23, 09/03/16 »
Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy