Author Topic: Hiking boots for...  (Read 4090 times)

titaniumdude

Hiking boots for...
« on: 18:37:30, 21/08/06 »
...people that don't have feet that match the european/USA last that most boots are built from.  Our European and American cousins tend to have narrower feet than us Brits and that is generally reflected in the fitting of the boots they make.  I recently bought a pair of Scarpa SLs cos they supposedly came in an extra wide fitting.  Felt alright in the shop for 20 minutes, but nearly crippled me after extending the wear at home.  Turns out that they are an extra wide European fit which is about the same as a standard GB width fitting.  After buying and exchanging several different pairs of boots the only ones wide enough were the inferior (but also cheaper) Karrimor KSBs.  Built to a British last cos they're a British company.  Thing is I need a 4 season boot that will take a C1 crampon for winter hill walking.  I eventually visited and ordered a pair of McKinley classics from Altberg, an independent boot maker in north yorkshire.  Anyone else had similar problems or experience of this or other independent boot makers.  Would appreciate any feedback.  My boots will be ready in 6 weeks (they're made to order) so I will post the outcome.  One good thing is that even though the web price was £140 I only payed £110 cos I visited the factory.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Chris

• Administrator
Re: Hiking boots for...
« Reply #1 on: 00:55:23, 27/08/06 »
I bought some Scarpa Manta's a while ago, as I wanted some winter boots. They seemed ok in the shop, but try as I may I just couldn't break them in. After about a dozen walks they were just as painful as the first time. They are now gathering dust in the back of a cupboard. :(

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:20:59, 16/09/07 »
I bought some Scarpa Manta's a while ago, as I wanted some winter boots. They seemed ok in the shop, but try as I may I just couldn't break them in. After about a dozen walks they were just as painful as the first time. They are now gathering dust in the back of a cupboard. :(
:) hi chris, do you know if the fairly newish ASOLO MATRIX FLAME boots are as good as they say they are as I'm thinking of buying a pair maybe,,they retail at £119:99p. ive just worn a new pair of boots in i bought from BLACKS, there made by BLACKS aswell, i got them in their sale reduced from £65 to £40 their pretty ugly i think but i do like them and their not really light weight but I'm not known for having a light kit hahaha I'm the lad that takes his kitchen sink trekking with him ha.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 09:21:59, 18/09/07 »
I will be anticipating your report on the Altberg's TD.   I've also had a lot of trouble and considered a trip up to Richmond myself a while back.    I already have boots for all occasions, but really need a pair that will do 20 miles a day on extended treks, and made to measure Altbergs sound good to me.

I have a wonderful but now aging pair of Salomons, but the tread is seriously thin these days and the more recent ranges seem to me to be a lot narrower.   Is this why Salomon don't appear in the shops so much these days?    Salomon boots were also a bit light over the toes, which could be a bit dodgy on rocky terrain.

S.

yetanotherben

« Reply #4 on: 15:59:17, 20/09/07 »
I've been wearing Salomons for a while now and find that they're great.  They might have slimmed their materials down a tad due to them cutting 'unneccessary weight' - but this really depends on the users purpose. 

I'd highly recommend these Protrek's as a bit more of a mountain boot:
...they're Gore-Tex and have additional protection which it sounds like you might need.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Ben
« Last Edit: 18:04:21, 08/04/08 by Chris »
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:04:28, 20/09/07 »
Say, Ben, that's a nice looking boot. Reasonably priced as well.

I still haven't replaced by last set of walking boots (they disintergrated around my feet as I was walking - hehe), and am looking for a set in the next couple of weeks.  Was just thinking of some Berghaus, but those are mighty nice.  But they may be just a bit more than I need.

I do a lot of distance walking, but little climbing or scrambling.

yetanotherben

« Reply #6 on: 18:22:08, 21/09/07 »

Not a problem, but I'll keep my eyes posted if I see anything else! 

Good luck in the mean time!

Ben
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:33:23, 21/09/07 »
I will be anticipating your report on the Altberg's TD.   I've also had a lot of trouble and considered a trip up to Richmond myself a while back.    I already have boots for all occasions, but really need a pair that will do 20 miles a day on extended treks, and made to measure Altbergs sound good to me.

I have a wonderful but now aging pair of Salomons, but the tread is seriously thin these days and the more recent ranges seem to me to be a lot narrower.   Is this why Salomon don't appear in the shops so much these days?    Salomon boots were also a bit light over the toes, which could be a bit dodgy on rocky terrain.

S.

TD.  As been doing the Pennine way with the Altbergs on and must addmitt he said hes found no problem and doing 22 miles a day in them said there cracking boots as I had the pleasesure  of hanging around or driving  over to the Lakes with his old and other new boots. So I could do my own hiking but so he could get hold of me.  So when I got the phone call I had to drive over no driving over thou as of yet.  But get your self over to richmound fantastic shop very nice people help understanding. The only thing for us is the drive it's miles away.  enough good boot are the Ksb which he's got. Full written report when back from his walk.
« Last Edit: 18:40:20, 21/09/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:40:05, 23/09/07 »
Hi W/G

which way is he going N/S or S/N ?

Only asking because if you need a hand in dropping any stuff off give me a shout. No Problem  :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:17:14, 24/09/07 »
Hi there! Summitzero he's going from South to North he's only got three days left yippee yippee! He's done fantastic he did it for his 40th birthday had no problems up to now am really proud of him, he meet some really nice folk long the way!!!! thanks for asking and much appreciated for the offer, where are you near summitzero.   
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

peter60

« Reply #10 on: 11:22:33, 28/09/07 »

What size, Chris? Somebody here may be interested in buying them. I just might if they're 45's.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy