Author Topic: More deaths on Everest.  (Read 2116 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
More deaths on Everest.
« on: 22:49:06, 24/05/19 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

strawy

Re: More deaths on Everest.
« Reply #1 on: 04:51:56, 25/05/19 »
Bucket list,ahh i think i,ll do that,cant be that hard,go online,book it,all sorted,no probs.
As you say...madness  :-\

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:35:39, 25/05/19 »
An interesting quote from Tim Mosedale a few weeks ago while on Everest.

As ever there are people here who are reliant on their Climbing Sherpas to put on their harnesses and attach their crampons to their boots.
Really? I find it utterly perplexing that these people haven’t learnt how to do these fairly simple tasks in a benign environment before arriving here.
These are simple tasks that are simple to get wrong ... but equally they are simple to take on board.
And let’s face it, if you can’t don a harness and a pair of crampons, surely that’s a reflection of a lack of overall experience.
And if you can’t do those tasks then what else can’t you do?
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:48:02, 25/05/19 »
It looks a bit like Snowdon summit after a train arrives - not my idea of fun. Enough people get into trouble in the UK hills through lack of experience, skills, common sense and proper gear. The consequences on Everest are much more severe. Perhaps there needs to be a limit on summit licences and strict criteria for those making the ascent, but money talks loudly.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:37:32, 25/05/19 »
It looks a bit like Snowdon summit after a train arrives - not my idea of fun. Enough people get into trouble in the UK hills through lack of experience, skills, common sense and proper gear. The consequences on Everest are much more severe. Perhaps there needs to be a limit on summit licences and strict criteria for those making the ascent, but money talks loudly.
At £8.500 per license/royalty fee , Nepal authorities are making lots of money. Safety and reason go out the window when huge profits are to be made.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:53:38, 25/05/19 »
It’s amazing that we can even be thinking of likening the queues on Everest to the queues on Snowdon, but we are! Madness indeed  :-[

strawy

« Reply #6 on: 13:24:16, 25/05/19 »

Pitboot

« Reply #7 on: 15:19:23, 25/05/19 »
Plenty of candidates for the Darwin Awards.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:39:16, 26/05/19 »
The photograph showing a very long queue of climbers just approaching the Hillary step, below the summit, really surprised me.
I knew its become a very busy mountain, but i had no idea just how congested it has become.

Waiting in line, to reach the summit of Snowdon is one thing, but hanging around in the Death Zone, for what can be a very long time, just so that you can reach the summit of the highest point on earth.

Who is to blame ?, there's obviously such a great desire to reach the top, and such a small weather window every year to achieve it, that its inevitable lives will be put at risk, and too many fatalities will occur.

Seven climbers already this week, something must happen, and pretty soon, this in a totally unnecessary loss of life.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy