Author Topic: Disappointed in OSM Mapping  (Read 1063 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Disappointed in OSM Mapping
« on: 13:32:48, 15/05/18 »

I have the SatMap Active 10 GPS with the 'Platinum' OS mapping in 1:25,000 and very pleased with it, but thought, for a change, I try to use the 'Open Street Map'  in 1:25000.

Extremely disappointed, it is lacking in detail, and accuracy - yes it shows where pubs are (even the name of the pub), it shows where water taps can be found, it shows, cafes, restaurants, toilets and even bicycle repair shops - but - and its a big but !!!!

It doesn't show all footpaths and it occasionally appears to 'lose them' in the middle of nowhere, they can have a 'start' and a 'finish' but you have lost a mile in the middle.

There are no footpaths shown where I know, on the ground, they are there, they are signposted as footpaths and that I have walked them, but they are not shown on the 'map'.

It also doesn't appear to show all rights of way (ie Restricted Bye Ways, or permissive access routes)

Has anyone had any better experiences of it that I have ?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Disappointed in OSM Mapping
« Reply #1 on: 14:26:22, 15/05/18 »
Which OSM map?  You probably know that OSM mapping is kept up to date by users reporting errors or new paths etc.  However the individuals or companies that supply the maps update their own maps from the master OSM map at different intervals, some may not update theirs at all after they've published them, others update every week.

OSM maps that I use are invariably more up to date than OS maps.

Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:30:20, 15/05/18 »

Which OSM map?  You probably know that OSM mapping is kept up to date by users reporting errors or new paths etc.  However the individuals or companies that supply the maps update their own maps from the master OSM map at different intervals, some may not update theirs at all after they've published them, others update every week.

OSM maps that I use are invariably more up to date than OS maps.

It is the one supplied by 'SatMap' themselves - quote :

"We have joined forces with the creators of OpenCycleMap to create a customised layer for our device and our customer's needs.
This new mapping layer is exclusive to SatMap, featuring main street names, walking & cycling routes, hilltop names, contours and much more "
« Last Edit: 14:33:46, 15/05/18 by alan de enfield »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:27:04, 15/05/18 »
Ah ok, that's the problem with SatMap, you're limited to what they'll supply.  On a Garmin you can load any OSM map you wish.  The OpenCycleMap is lacking in many areas, I downloaded it once to have a look and promptly deleted it  :)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy