Author Topic: TR - A murky day on Striding Edge  (Read 1382 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
TR - A murky day on Striding Edge
« on: 22:30:51, 24/08/18 »
I've now got round to writing up our scramble along Striding Edge to Helvellyn and our return via White Side and Keppel Cove:

https://claire-walking-blog.blogspot.com/

The brief version:

We went to Red Tarn and then up to and along Striding Edge, though we made liberal use of the by-pass path after both my sons said, "Are you joking?" when I suggested following the ridge line. My eldest pointed out it was the drop, not the scrambling, that was the problem. If anyone has suggestions for interesting scrambles with less exposure, anywhere in the UK, do let me know.

Having said I would only do it in good conditions, we went up on the promise of clouds lifting/weather improving and got quite the opposite :( . The boys did do the bad step, though there was a one brief but hairy moment with my youngest.

Visibility was very poor and it started tipping it down while we were on the summit so we decided Swirral Edge would be a very bad idea. Instead we went over White Side and down the Keppel Cove zig zags to return to the hostel.

A challenging outing all in all. Thanks for all your advice.  I think I'd like to try again on my own (or with other adults rather than children I'm responsible for!) on a sunny day and try Swirral too. I also think I can rule out the CMD route for Ben Nevis if either of my sons is with me.

A few pictures - for more see the blog post:

« Last Edit: 22:55:54, 24/08/18 by clyoung »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - A murky day on Striding Edge
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:03, 25/08/18 »

Glad that you enjoyed it Claire; pity about the weather though!

Good call to avoid Swirral in the murk.
« Last Edit: 08:42:59, 25/08/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:09:08, 25/08/18 »
Classic walk, sounds like you had a good and exciting time  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:52:49, 25/08/18 »
Glad that you enjoyed it Claire; pity about the weather though!

Good call to avoid Swirral in the murk.

Cannot believe our bad luck with the weather. Ended up cutting a camping trip to southern Snowdonia short due to the storm that ended the long heatwave at the end of July (though I did at least get up Cadair Idris in the sunshine before it hit) and then the next dry spell ended just in time for our trip to the Lake District!

I'd already pretty much made up my mind about Swirral as we scrambled up but when things got worse at the summit I had no doubt at all what was the right decision.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:52, 25/08/18 »
Classic walk, sounds like you had a good and exciting time  O0

Yes, I like a challenge  O0  Would still like to see the views one day - perhaps I should try going up Swirral and down Striding Edge in the sunshine if I get the chance.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:04:50, 27/08/18 »
An interesting day with, as they say, atmospheric pics. The murk and rain make the day quite memorable, but a return visit in sunshine is a must.
Up Striding and down Swirral is said to be a great classic round, but only half of one in my book:- Striding would be great but I really don't like  scrambling downwards!.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:37:53, 27/08/18 »
Looks like a great memory - albeit a bit grey on the day - bet they'll remember it for a long time.  Maybe the murkyness put your boys off - I think clagg makes places seem more threatening.  Easy to say, but a nice dry morning before the hordes arrive and they'll probably skip over!

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:18:02, 27/08/18 »
Don't get down to the Lakes nowadays....there was a time when we made a least one trip per year down there.
We had a very pleasant day on Helvellyn.  From the end of the Thirlmere lake we reached the top descended the Striding ridge and crossed the fine Coire floor to reascended by the Swirral ridge....weather warm and dry. :)
A nice day out.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:20:49, 27/08/18 »
Nice report and pics  O0 Yes, Swirral Edge wouldn't be much fun in descent if the rock was wet, wise decision to miss it out.
Hate will never win

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:37:29, 27/08/18 »

An interesting day with, as they say, atmospheric pics. The murk and rain make the day quite memorable, but a return visit in sunshine is a must.
Up Striding and down Swirral is said to be a great classic round, but only half of one in my book:- Striding would be great but I really don't like  scrambling downwards!.

Atmospheric is a good word for it ;-) Scrambling downwards is definitely harder, I do fancy doing the round though.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:39:39, 27/08/18 »
Looks like a great memory - albeit a bit grey on the day - bet they'll remember it for a long time.  Maybe the murkyness put your boys off - I think clagg makes places seem more threatening.  Easy to say, but a nice dry morning before the hordes arrive and they'll probably skip over!

Thanks. Not sure they'd find it easier being able to see the drops  :)  although dry rock would help.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:40:38, 27/08/18 »
Don't get down to the Lakes nowadays....there was a time when we made a least one trip per year down there.
We had a very pleasant day on Helvellyn.  From the end of the Thirlmere lake we reached the top descended the Striding ridge and crossed the fine Coire floor to reascended by the Swirral ridge....weather warm and dry. :)
A nice day out.

Sounds like a lovely day out, fingers crossed I'll get to see it in good weather one day.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:41:26, 27/08/18 »
Nice report and pics  O0 Yes, Swirral Edge wouldn't be much fun in descent if the rock was wet, wise decision to miss it out.

Thanks April. Really hope I get a go at it in the dry.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy