Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276064 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1470 on: 21:11:28, 08/12/20 »
Did you buy some codpieces as Christmas presents for your favourite forum members?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1471 on: 23:15:40, 08/12/20 »
Dropped my car off for its MOT this morning and headed into town to do my Xmas shopping.  I racked up a quite amazing 5.8 miles which really surprised me.  It was blummin’ cold though.  Got talking to a guy selling The Big Issue – they’re struggling because nobody carries cash anymore.  Managed to avoid talking to another guy ranting about Covid and Brexit to nobody in particular.  Heard the “F” word 26 times and the “C” word (and I don’t mean covid, christmas or cancer) once.  Found a riverside path I’ve not walked down before, aaaand I won’t be walking down it again..that’s for sure!  There was a stall on the outdoor market that had a load of what looked like codpieces hung up – turned out they were face masks.

Anyway, that’s all my Xmas shopping done now.  Just got to wrap it and put it in solitary confinement.

.. And my car passed its MOT  :)

It's always nice when your car passes it's MoT.  I almost always walk to a from the garage when mine go in.  Tis only about two miles each way but it's along side a golf course for some of it and I have been known to sneak on and walk through the course, when it's quite.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1472 on: 14:53:26, 09/12/20 »
What are we all getting then, Mel?  Or is it a surprise?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1473 on: 12:31:32, 22/12/20 »

Lovely local walk back from my tootsie appointment today:

What a difference from yesterday's weather! 

Bumped into one of my walking group friends too who I've not seen for about 4 months and we walked a couple of miles together which was a lovely bonus  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1474 on: 13:03:01, 22/12/20 »
Lovely picture Mell.  It's so good to bump into friends unexpectedly in these isolating times. I'm hopeful than our moorland group will be walking over the Christmas break. It's several weeks since I last met up with them. There may even be some snow.  :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1475 on: 13:08:59, 22/12/20 »
I managed my first walk for many weeks laid up with a bad back. There was the bonus of blue skies and sunshine, which have been in short supply recently. I managed just over 4 miles from the house through a couple of local parks, mainly through silver birch woodland, with some fields and river banks. There was even a little bit of warmth in the sun. There was a marked difference in underfoot conditions between the two parks. Murray Park is quite boggy between the trees with lots of mossy mounds and pools. The paths were quite muddy. Haughtiness park has mainly grass and carpets of fallen leaves. The paths were quite frosty and the mud was frozen. Despite the long lay off, I managed to walk at a reasonably fast pace without collapsing in a heap.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1476 on: 14:57:22, 24/12/20 »
I managed my second walk in three days over much of the same ground, but a bit slower and shorter. Today was very different due to the snow - not much, varying from a dusting to a couple of inches in depth. It was good to hear the creak of walking on virgin snow. This was better that the later squelch of slush where others had previously walked. Surrounding hills had a good covering and the pine trees were frosted white. It felt cold, even with base and mid layers and two buffs for neck and face. It was particularly cold down by the river. It was good to be out in snow for the first time in ages. It looks like it might be here for a few days. I am expecting the garden to remain snow covered from Christmas Day.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1477 on: 17:11:48, 24/12/20 »
Pulled back the curtains to be greeted by a covering of snow! Went down to feed the hens, very cold, although snow very wet, hens not looking happy as in confinement due to Avian flu scare. Cannot go outside in case they meet other birds that my be carrying infection, if they do they will be put down!
Sun came out and beautiful blue skies so I’ll try a wee walk.
Through the edge of town, which appeared very quiet and up through the deserted University Buildings, through the woods and along pathways amongst Student accommodation blocks… a ghost town! Skies darkened and snow began to fall.
Met a guy heading the same way, keeping our distance we enjoyed a chat, which took me further than I had planned. Parted with seasons greetings, as now headed up bank to join old railway pathway. Nearly bumped into an elderly lady struggling up the bank, who meandered across the path and stopped directly in front of me. Had a wee chat, she’s out everyday walking. Chatted about boots and passed on knowledge about waterproof socks, she had never heard of them (thanks forum). She headed west, I went east along a deserted pathway, normally meet loads of cyclists and dog walkers  along here, only came across one guy, out doing his daily steps target.
Leave pathway, head through old farm, water pouring down road from melting snow. As nearby to my favourite donkeys might as well pop along to see them, although path alongside stream had been visited by many feet before me, gooey mud and pools of water all along, Donkeys, with winter coats on, were looking very sad, stood under a bush sheltering from the snow, eating some fresh straw.
Up lane to road where two motorists were showing a lack of Christmas spirit by having a heated argument ... queue of traffic, two lanes go into one, the inside driver did everything he could to stop the outside driver moving across!... Continue on through edge of deserted town. Met a guy coming out of a takeaway with a hot meal for a young guy, possibly his only Christmas meal he said. That's more like Christmas spirit!  :) 
Nearing home there was a couple pushing a shopping trolley with a huge Christmas tree balanced on top, they were foreign students unable to travel home, who had been given a free tree!  :)  More Christmas Spirit!   :)
As I arrived back home rain had replaced the snow which had virtually vanished.
Down to see hens who were snuggled together on their perch, I’ll be down to collect their ’little presents’ tomorrow.
Now for a big surprise…. Input my route into mapometer and I’ve achieved my longest walk since suffering walking injuries back in June! Body not feeling bad at all and no struggles to walk. This was not what I had recently been told by hospital!
Well that’s an amazing Christmas present for me!  :D
« Last Edit: 17:18:04, 24/12/20 by Dodgylegs »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1478 on: 18:49:43, 24/12/20 »
Good to read Bigfoot mike and Dodgy Legs are getting back up speed again.  Walking can be so good at rewarding effort to recover from injury. O0

A little walk on Bodmin moor for me this afternoon.  A little sleet but no snow down here.

Tomorrow looks so good. It may have to be an early start and back for lunch.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1479 on: 19:45:17, 24/12/20 »
Thanks BuzyG. O0

Dodylegs, it is good you are getting out again like me.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1480 on: 23:14:06, 24/12/20 »
Thanks guys  O0

Strange Christmas arranged, popping down to beach for a walk and swapping of presents!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1481 on: 19:28:56, 25/12/20 »
Well I got my early start in today.  Lovely little walk to Black tor waterfall on Dartmoor.  The ground was frozen solid for the first time this year up there.  Earned my Christmas dinner.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1482 on: 14:29:20, 29/12/20 »
Local walk along lanes and through woods before lunch today: 17.2 miles / 1145ft ascent / 4 hrs 5 mins.

Far, far more people than usual for a cold, dreary winter's day - especially on main track through woods - so back to the treadmill tomorrow!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1483 on: 16:39:03, 30/12/20 »
I went out for a walk today, only about 4 hours in duration but I enjoyed it. It was on the Wayfarers Walk and soon after I started I met a young hospital doctor on a walk as well. She told me that she and a few others (she was alone today) often try to get away from the hospital/patient demands for a while as it helps her to unwind, either after a long shift when one begins. When I'd had enough I phoned my wife and she picked me up.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1484 on: 16:58:57, 30/12/20 »
I went out for a walk today, only about 4 hours in duration but I enjoyed it. It was on the Wayfarers Walk
Which part of the walk did you do? I did the whole walk when I used to live in the area. I really enjoyed it due to the varying terrain and the history en route.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy