Author Topic: Need help from any Lakes experts  (Read 1790 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Need help from any Lakes experts
« on: 12:27:07, 30/10/07 »
I fancy a walk this Saturday in the Lakes to introduce my girlfreind to my new hobby of walking and peak bagging.

Basically i know a few of you have loads of walking experience around the Lakes. And would like your suggestions on a suitable walk. It needs to be no longer than 6 hours and hopefully bags a few peaks on the hill list found at

http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/marilyns/region34.htm

My girlfreind may not be able to handle a really hard walk but she is no slouch. Obviously im not asking  people to plan my walk, i just want ideas on a route.

I think we will get into a YHostel and do the walk on Saturday morning.

:)

peter60

Re: Need help from any Lakes experts
« Reply #1 on: 15:10:33, 30/10/07 »
Catbells is always a favourite. Easy route and spectacular views over Derwent Water.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:35:49, 30/10/07 »
Why not try KIDSTYPIKES own website, have alook theres absolutely loads of information and the many,many routes he himself has done all over the lake district, you'll be spoilt for choice, PLUS you girlfriend can look at the walk if you pick one of the site..,just a suggestion.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Deerplay

« Reply #3 on: 18:51:14, 30/10/07 »
Good suggestion Darksky! Why didn't I think of that.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:01:06, 30/10/07 »
Will do - What is the site address?

Cheers by the way

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:21:49, 30/10/07 »
Wow.....I've got an online fan club!!......Not bad for an old git.....thanks guys  O0  O0

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:50:01, 30/10/07 »
Well ukmase did you have alook? and did you decide on anything?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:28:09, 30/10/07 »
Wow what a class site, it has everything. You guys should write a book.

I am taking a good look at the walks before deciding. Could you reccomend a walk that ticks all the right boxes ?

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:46:15, 30/10/07 »
Wow what a class site, it has everything. You guys should write a book.

I am taking a good look at the walks before deciding. Could you reccomend a walk that ticks all the right boxes ?

I'll give you an easy--ish walk and a harder one

Easy--ish
This would tick off Low Fell in the Western Area and also Fellbarrow
Walk No: 073

Hard:
This would tick off High Street and Harter Fell in the Eastern Fells
Walk No: 048

I am assuming that you are a competent fellwalker with map & compass experience as the walks , particularly the second can be confusing in mist/hill cloud.

Dave

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:16:12, 30/10/07 »
Thanks for that, i will check them out tonight.

I use a map but dont never take a compass, i tend to rely on the features and shape of the landscape to work out where i am at. Of course mist could be a problem ;D

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:02:20, 30/10/07 »
Thanks for that, i will check them out tonight.

I use a map but dont never take a compass, i tend to rely on the features and shape of the landscape to work out where i am at. Of course mist could be a problem ;D

Then my first piece of advice would be to get a compass and learn to use it before going onto the higher fells.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:49:46, 31/10/07 »
I agree, being able and competent with a compass gives you that edge of knowing you cant get lost, or you could take your position by the stars as my old fella says...when i was at sea all we had was the stars to navigate us, it was his mates that told me most of the ships he was on never got to dock on time as they were always of course by a few miles, But i let him think he's an expert Navigator bless him hahaha.., But i would really learn to use a compass ukmase plus its not so difficult mate,try it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy