Author Topic: Walking Solo  (Read 8123 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Solo
« Reply #30 on: 22:38:33, 27/05/19 »
Jontea, your comments so reminded me of what regularlly happens to me when I'm out enjoying the country lanes in my sports car and get stuck behind cyclists.   ;D
Also, what I experience with cyclists when travelling to and from work on country roads. The most frustrating (and dangerous) occurrence is the group of 2 or 3 cyclists that keep overtaking each other with no regard whatsoever for what is going on around them - no signals and no looking before suddenly moving out across the road. We also have a large number of organised cycle club events on public roads, often when I am trying to get home in the evening. These can cause chaos.  >:(

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 06:36:46, 28/05/19 »
We also have a large number of organised cycle events on public roads, often when I am trying to get home in the evening. These can cause chaos.  >:(

Stay at home on the 7th July Mike  ;D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 06:40:53, 28/05/19 »
Jontea, your comments so reminded me of what regularlly happens to me when I'm out enjoying the country lanes in my sports car and get stuck behind cyclists.   ;D

You need to change that little bell for a horn  ;D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

and101

« Reply #33 on: 10:10:51, 28/05/19 »
How many forum members walk solo? Curious to know. I've been walking since I was a nipper and probably 80% of that has been solo. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself either lonely or a loner

Personally, I'd say about 1 in 4 of my walks are solo and they tend to be when I go wildcamping. Sometimes it's good to be alone, to take time out, to go at my pace and not worry about conversations etc.

The majority of my non-solo walks are with my wife and it's our opportunity to get away from the kids and their teenage angst and lethargy!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 10:15:16, 28/05/19 »
Nearly all mine are solo plods too. Did a group walk up Whernside saturday, there were hundreds of peeps there  >:(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

bipolarbob

« Reply #35 on: 11:34:46, 28/05/19 »
i nearly always walk alone...i know i shouldn't but i stick music on my earphones and just find myself out there..

did the Black Mountain challenge last Saturday for the Longtown mountain rescue...did 20 miles on my own, just me and my music...and being lapped by the fell runners  :) :) :) ..and faster walkers, squaddies etc etc.....

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:03:38, 28/05/19 »
Nearly all mine are solo plods too. Did a group walk up Whernside saturday, there were hundreds of peeps there  >:(

OMG I would have hated that. In fact I would have given up and gone back home.  :(

ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:11:39, 28/05/19 »

100s I would of wandered off in the other direction.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:24:37, 28/05/19 »
Most of my walks are solo. Most of the time I prefer this as I like to mooch and meander and stop and stare and snack when I like. 

Sometimes though, I would like to walk with a small group for the company and conversation and perhaps the morale boost/confidence to tackle something a "bit out of my league" but my generally slow pace and the need to stop briefly and regularly to rest/ease my achilles tendon makes it difficult for me to find a group that is happy to accommodate that.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 13:04:35, 29/05/19 »
I will be walking alone tomorrow, probably spend the night out
you have 1 life live it

and101

« Reply #40 on: 13:24:25, 29/05/19 »

Sometimes though, I would like to walk with a small group for the company and conversation and perhaps the morale boost/confidence to tackle something a "bit out of my league" but my generally slow pace and the need to stop briefly and regularly to rest/ease my achilles tendon makes it difficult for me to find a group that is happy to accommodate that.

Mel, we should walk together. My Achilles has flared up again at the moment so I know how it feels to be travelling slower than I'd like due to the stops. Especially when trying and ease the pain/stretch it out whilst taking in the views!

rambling oldie

« Reply #41 on: 16:28:17, 29/05/19 »
I have the best of both worlds.  For a few years I’ve been leading a U3A (University of the Third Age) rambling group in Hampshire.  I like to spend time on OS Maps planning suitable routes of around 6 miles, then I go out on my own and test one of them, about 2 or 3 weeks before our first Monday routine.  I use map and compass and make sure I can follow the route (yesterday was fun, the footpath signs ran out but after chats with a few sheep in various fields I came back on target.)  I stop to admire views and look at any wildlife that I haven’t scared away,  A few weeks ago i was able to remain absolutely still quite close to a hare as we stared at each other. I also check the smaller scale OS to identify distant points, as I sometimes get questions.  Then I lead a group of around 20, we all know each other and it’s very convivial, finally returning to our starting point which is always a pub, just in time for lunch.   

Life is good.   
 :)  

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:55:49, 29/05/19 »

Mel, we should walk together. My Achilles has flared up again at the moment so I know how it feels to be travelling slower than I'd like due to the stops. Especially when trying and ease the pain/stretch it out whilst taking in the views!

We should arrange a "Walking Wounded" forum hobble  ;D   I'm sure Bigfoot Mike suffers with his tendon too.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 23:04:52, 29/05/19 »

We should arrange a "Walking Wounded" forum hobble  ;D   I'm sure Bigfoot Mike suffers with his tendon too.
Would Plantar count?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 23:14:09, 29/05/19 »
Yep  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy