Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292138 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #705 on: 08:28:30, 24/03/19 »

6 of those aluminium 'Y' section tent pegs to replace some fatally bent over the last week or so - £4.
A map reading compass for my daughter - £3.
A 'Eurohike' aluminium COB LED torch - 100 lumens and lasts 6-7 hours on 3 triple 'A's - £2.50.

All from Millets in Inverness retail park whilst returning from a trip 'Sooth'.

Also some Gore Tex patches from Tiso's in Perth - must get that rip in my jacket fixed before I snag it again and make it worse.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #706 on: 08:31:58, 24/03/19 »

Finally decided to give walking poles a go to see if they are any good, in the past I've always decried them unless they're for those who need them due to some medical or other issue.  If I remember I'll post back after I've given them a bit of a workout :)

That's how I feel about them - I was given a pair a couple of years ago, and I know that I should give them a try, but they always seem to get left behind in the porch or in the boot of the car. I seem to manage just fine whether uphill or down, as long as I take my time on the steep bits.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #707 on: 10:05:30, 24/03/19 »
You don't have to use them, just secured to your rucksack will make you look more professional and will give you that 'John Wayne' look!  ;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #708 on: 10:29:22, 24/03/19 »
You don't have to use them, just secured to your rucksack will make you look more professional and will give you that 'John Wayne' look!  ;)

?

Don't tend to use them when walking with just a light day pack but do when carrying a heavy load. Using the arms as well as the legs helps reduce fatigue. As well as helping you keep your balance.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #709 on: 20:05:32, 24/03/19 »
I am now the proud owner of a three legged fold up stool hanging from my rucksack...what do I look like...no don`t answer that >:(
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

bipolarbob

« Reply #710 on: 13:56:21, 25/03/19 »
this:

montane mens alpine pro GTX jacket from SportPursuit.com.   

51% off it.  Got good reviews too. 

Jim Parkin

« Reply #711 on: 21:56:23, 25/03/19 »
Harvey's 1:40k ultramaps of the Peak District (three cover the entire area).  Well worth buying - good enough detail for me to hit Kinder Gates from Fairbrook Naze.  Each one has the folded size of a small smartphone, and unfolds very cleverly - it is usable in strong wind, as it is small enouth.  I now prefer it to the OS 1:25k maps, for the Peak District at least.

Chris Townsend's review here:
https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear-editors-column/harvey-ultramap/
« Last Edit: 22:05:24, 25/03/19 by Jim Parkin »

Litehiker

« Reply #712 on: 20:15:59, 05/04/19 »
Thought I'd replied to this thread but can't find it so here goes:

1. REI FLASH Insulated 3 season air mattress - good to 15 F.
2. REI FLASH Insulated All Season (winter) air mattress - good to at least -10 F.
3. Sea to Summit pump bag/dry bag (to pump up the above mattresses, thus keeping my moist and bacteria-laden breath from the mattresses)
4. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition -30 F. down parka (on a 50% off sale) An amazing piece of gear. Very well designed and fabricated.
5. MSR Whisperlite Universal 3 fuel stove (petrol, kerosene and butane canister) changing jets is necessary for each fuel type.

I considered Dyneema solo tents (Tarptent Notch Li or AEON) but the high cost and 1 to 1.5 lb. weight savings was not worth it. I'll just lose that weight off  the "love muffin" around my waist, thank you very much. Besides, I "need" to buy a new Leica HD-B 2200 laser rangefinder binocular for hunting out here in the wide open spaces of Nevada. (Yeah, I know, they are far more "spendy" than a Dyneema tent.)

I now have over 100 Kg. of Ultra Light backpacking gear.  ;)

Eric B.

FOX160

« Reply #713 on: 08:22:43, 06/04/19 »
Just bitten the bullet on the ]https://yamamountaingear.com/collections/shelters/products/1p-cirriform-dw-
for my Winter shelter.
Gone for the stealth Blue tarp and Grey inner combo
Internet library pic below

« Last Edit: 12:18:10, 06/04/19 by FOX160 »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #714 on: 09:01:05, 24/04/19 »
The credit card company is ringing their hands with glee.

I bought an MSR Windpro II, MSR ceramic solo pot, MSR folding spatula, GSI mug, 3 cylinders of gas

a platypus hoser reservoir
Aennon USB rechargeable head torch

The Ultimate Navigation Manual
2 chinagraph pencils
A tally counter
Silva Compass 4 Militaire
A grid reference tool
OS Weatherproof Active maps of Howgill Fells and Upper Eden Valley, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales - Northern &
Central Area

mow1701

« Reply #715 on: 18:10:36, 27/04/19 »
Injiinji liner socks. Lots of good reviews in terms of reducing friction and hence blisters.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #716 on: 11:04:40, 28/04/19 »
I bought an Alpkit Akita full zip jacket a couple of weeks ago and wore it on my recent hike from Keswick to Edinburgh. I didn't like it at all, the sleeves were too long, the pockets did not have zips (I should have noticed when purchasing but didn't) and the pockets were pretty useless when my rucksack belt was tightened. I never thought that the jacket was good at keeping me warm either. The body length was fine and so was the zip. My similar Berghaus full zip is much better.

I also bought a pair of Alpkit black gloves for £13 from the Alpkit shop in Keswick, they performed very well and kept my hands warm, even in the cold wind that I experienced for next 4 days. However, I noticed today when I decided to wash them, that the palm area is showing signs of piling.

taxino8

« Reply #717 on: 21:48:31, 06/05/19 »
Just got an Osprey Exos 58 delivered today from Amazon for a very reasonable £102.
I don’t know if I was just lucky but they are now selling them for £117.75 less than two days after I ordered mine.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #718 on: 08:24:21, 07/05/19 »
Just got an Osprey Exos 58 delivered today from Amazon for a very reasonable £102.
I don’t know if I was just lucky but they are now selling them for £117.75 less than two days after I ordered mine.

Nicely timed buy. Usually happens the other way around with me!

and101

« Reply #719 on: 13:41:57, 07/05/19 »
A small mirror for my first aid kit (I wear contact lenses and trying to re-insert a slipped lens on an overnight camp never good without a mirror) and BCB Crusader for my day hikes to brew up. Whats next on the list? Well it never ends does it?  :-[ 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy