Author Topic: Wainwright walks on BBC4  (Read 11909 times)

marmot

Wainwright walks on BBC4
« on: 22:51:30, 26/02/07 »
Just in case you haven't noticed, BBC4 are showing a series of Wainwright's fell walks in the Lake District starting tonight with Haystacks.  If you missed this first one I think they're repeating them the day after, I think.

Chris

• Administrator
Re: Wainwright walks on BBC4
« Reply #1 on: 17:25:59, 28/02/07 »
I was rather disappointed when I walked up Haystacks, with it being the great man's favourite etc. I prefered the walk along the ridge from Red Pike in that area.

marmot

« Reply #2 on: 05:14:17, 01/03/07 »
Yes, I think I'd choose High Stile ahead of it too, it's still got to be one of the best around for its height though, no?
Other contenders for best medium ones for me are: Yewbarrow, Whin Rigg / Illgill Head, Harter Fell (Eskdale), Pike of Blisco....
Anyone else any top small, medium or big ones?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:13:03, 01/04/07 »
A little bit of subject but what are your views on Wainwright? Do you think he was the best shall we say, totally brillant (hero) or a grumpy, self centred git (villain)

FOR---    He would map out all the routes to the top and then make notes, that people use to this day to help them. :)

AGAINST--- He only made the notes for himself and they were latter published, he also hated other people on what he believed were his hills and mountains. :(

Just thought i would ask, as he has got to be one of the most well known outdoor authors?
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 20:30:58, 01/04/07 »
As far as I know he  planned on publishing them from very early on, although he did say they were for him to reflect upon later on.
The books are also extremely well (hand) written and illustated, and very accurate.
I don't think he thought of them as "his" hills, just his and people like him - who appreciated them fully and treated them as such.
My only gripe is how the books were set up to be exactly the same size for each region - for example, in the relatively unintersting Northern Fells book, where the likes of the utterly pointless Mungrisedale Common is given pages, whereas in the Southern Fells book Ill Crag and Broad Crag get only the slightest mentions (comparatively) in Scafell Pike section. How much publisher pressure he was under to get them the same size is unsure, but I wouldn't have thought the local newspaper would have been that fussed about it....?
Also on the pointless additions list: Sallows or Sour Howes, Bakestall....
Possible additions: Stickle Pike, Black Combe, Bowness Knot....
Any other ideas for ins and outs?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:19:51, 01/04/07 »
Good points, marmot.

I wonder what people would include and what they would take out of his books?

Also i agree he did work hard on his route guides/books but does he deserve the title of top walking author?

what do you think?? :D

marmot

« Reply #6 on: 21:19:14, 02/04/07 »
From the books that I've read I do think he is.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:21:03, 03/04/07 »
Is that just for the Lakes? or on a whole ;D

marmot

« Reply #8 on: 17:49:18, 03/04/07 »
On the whole really, but especially the Lakes. I've used several different guides for Wales and Scotland.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:09:48, 03/04/07 »
What guide did you find the best for Scotland?

marmot

« Reply #10 on: 20:05:02, 03/04/07 »
I like Great British Ridge Walks by Bill Birket, 50 Best Routes On Scottish Mountains + 50 Best Routes on Skye and Raasay both by Ralph Storer, the Collins Rambler's guides and the Cicerone scrambling guides (the Cicerone one I have for Skye though is misleading and therefore dangerous IMO).
The best book I have though is The Cuillin by Gordon Stainforth - amazing photographs - an absolute must!!!!
Not a guide book though.
There may be better guide books mind you, I'm no expert.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:06:00, 04/04/07 »
Cheers thank you, i have a good book on walks in Scotland, mainly around the 'gorms' but for the life of me i cant think of the name, i will have to route it out (no pun intended) ;D

Crag Rat

« Reply #12 on: 15:54:16, 13/04/07 »
Just as a correction - this programme is actually on BBC 2 and the second one is on tonight at 7pm.  Tonight's feature is about Blencathra - well worth watching, last weeks was good if only for the photography!  :)
....because it's there....

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:07:30, 13/04/07 »
The question is will they walk or crawl, ha ha  ;D

top marks by the way, for the real title

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:29:34, 13/04/07 »
I thought this was on BBC 2 as well or is this something else about Wainwright as the one on BBC 2 there a woman in it where for the other one was just talking about Wainwrights.  ??? ???. please corrcert me if am wrong
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy