Author Topic: A viable idea or just rubbish?  (Read 2687 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
A viable idea or just rubbish?
« on: 11:43:44, 03/12/18 »
After my recent Lake District hike in the rain my waterproof leather Bergaus Supalights finally leaked!

As is my way, to test where the leaks were situated, I filled my boots with water and left them on our draining board overnight, They oozzed water, all around the joins between the upper boot and sole, each leak looked like small sewing needle holes. This is annoying, the water is not coming out of any gash in the boots just from tiny holes, so to have to spend out money for new boots just because of what appears to be a small problem to solve is not what I really want to do. It crossed my mind that I might be able to find a liquid type substance which I could thinly swish around inside my boots, which like water would oozze through the holes and upon contact with the outside air would become dry and properly waterproof them again?

Does such a product exist? Could it be done? Would it work? If I can't find a solution I'm just going to have to buy new boots!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: A viable idea or just rubbish?
« Reply #1 on: 12:17:34, 03/12/18 »
And would you want your feet to have prolonged contact with the residue of some form of pedal Radweld?

In theory it is possible.  An organic solvent such as acetone or ether will dissolve a plastic such as polystyrene and is volatile enough to leave a residue of plastic when it evaporates.  The main problem is you would need a plastic that remains flexible when it deposits, polystyrene may become a bit brittle as it comes out of solution.  I suppose a couple of tubes of seam stopper in acetone might work, not sure if it is cleared for skin contact though.  Bear in mind that the residue will be all over the inside of your boot up to the fill level.
Of course, if you used ether you would be as high as kite in no time as it is an anaesthetic, acetone is nail varnish remover and, like ether, is fiendishly flammable.  I would avoid petrol as a solvent, I'm not sure if it has benzene in it but if it does that is a known carcinogen.  Acetone is volatile enough to evaporate completely from the boot provided the boot is well ventilated - you might need an air line to get rid of it. 
If you do try it, best buy that charcoal filter mask first though and work outdoors just to be safe. Final thought, if your boots have a membrane lining, I am not sure they still would have after exposure to a powerful organic solvent - might be fun finding out though.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rather be walking

« Reply #2 on: 12:20:35, 03/12/18 »
If I can't find a solution I'm just going to have to buy new boots!
Yes!
In my experience trying to reseal the seams with wax or whatever is only a temporary solution. You might get a few months more.
Jon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:26:42, 03/12/18 »
What about Fabsil. It can be watered down.
I use it on all sorts of things, bags , groundsheet,  .mainly my little coffin tent and my emergency bivvi. Once a year I hang my waterproof jacket on the drying line and use the fabsil on that,I don't know if any of it is at all necessary but then again I've not had problems.
I also use a waterproofing spray on my fabric boots after I've cleaned them and not had any leaks. Reading the can it is a silicon spray. You never know that might work, I buy mine at the Clarks shoe shop.

The bloke at the car wash said his boots were waterproofed every time  they got covered in the car wax he uses. When asked he said he'd been using the same boots daily for at least  five years. They looked like  fabric safety boots. :)
A trial might be worth a couple of months more or a year more.

Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:32:13, 03/12/18 »
I had a pair of boots leak on me last year while doing the PW, typically previously they'd been fine.  It felt like water was coming from the sole of the boot, and when I returned them to Cotswold and had them replaced under warranty, thankfully still with one month to go  :) , they agreed that it seemed like the sole/upper bonding had failed even though there was no visible sign.  Think in your case you just have to bite the bullet and replace them  O0

Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:40:56, 03/12/18 »
After my recent Lake District hike in the rain my waterproof leather Bergaus Supalights finally leaked!

As is my way, to test where the leaks were situated, I filled my boots with water and left them on our draining board overnight, They oozzed water, all around the joins between the upper boot and sole, each leak looked like small sewing needle holes. This is annoying, the water is not coming out of any gash in the boots just from tiny holes, so to have to spend out money for new boots just because of what appears to be a small problem to solve is not what I really want to do. It crossed my mind that I might be able to find a liquid type substance which I could thinly swish around inside my boots, which like water would oozze through the holes and upon contact with the outside air would become dry and properly waterproof them again?

Does such a product exist? Could it be done? Would it work? If I can't find a solution I'm just going to have to buy new boots!

There is a product called "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure"
It is a very 'thin' liquid which does as it 'says on the tin'.
I have used it on the boat on leaking window rubbers and various jobs around the house.
No idea how it would perform on leather but if the boots are 'scrap' it must be worth a try for £6

http://www.captaintolley.com/

https://www.purplemarine.com/captain-tolley-s-creeping-crack-cure.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSaGDcFXxWvKkgY0OVSUwUKxNJc4yw9HlrljmT_PXRVIkYMteMvvcxgaAj_xEALw_wcB

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:04:55, 03/12/18 »
An interesting product.  I would apply it from the outside in rather than the inside out given the information contained if the safety data says avoid skin contact.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:42:16, 03/12/18 »
Although I think you would probably be wasting your time and money my weapon of choice for attempting this type of repair would be McNett Freesole. In my opinion trying to use anything inside the boot would almost certainly end up being a complete failure.

Applying a line of McNett Freesole around the whole boot from the outside where the sole meets the upper might extend the life of the boot a little.

This YouTube video from around 5:03 may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rrvVQUX4iA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcnett-Freesole-Repair-Adhesive/dp/B07C3MDQCY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McNett-Freesole-Urethane-Formula-Boot-Shoe-Repair-Kit-INCLUDES-FREE-P-P-/163384142437

Another product worth considering might be Shoe Goo https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shoe-Goo-Repair-and-Protective-Coating-29-5ml-110231/253981971199

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:19:47, 03/12/18 »
Agreed, I would try Shoe Goo or Freesole.   The former I've not tried but I have used Freesole and it adheres well to leather and seems to work ok, it will crack and flake off at the flex point after a while but it should extend your boots life by a few months.
Not all those who wander are lost

dav

« Reply #9 on: 20:37:34, 03/12/18 »
If it were possible to seal using a product, it would only waterproof not breath. I have had amny Gortex shoes and boots. If used frequently i have found that you are lucky to go more than 18 months leak free. I have however never had a pair of leather boots with Goretex or other membrane but have never had leather boots let in water either. What about waterproof socks instead. Sealskins socks when filled with water, sprinkle like a shower as it comes out, however thats because of the weight of the water being forces through the pores. Inside footwear on the foot that doesn't happen in reverse as the water ingressing is not under pressure.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:38:01, 03/12/18 »

There is a product called "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure"
It is a very 'thin' liquid which does as it 'says on the tin'.
I have used it on the boat on leaking window rubbers and various jobs around the house.
No idea how it would perform on leather but if the boots are 'scrap' it must be worth a try for £6

http://www.captaintolley.com/

https://www.purplemarine.com/captain-tolley-s-creeping-crack-cure.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSaGDcFXxWvKkgY0OVSUwUKxNJc4yw9HlrljmT_PXRVIkYMteMvvcxgaAj_xEALw_wcB
Looking at the applications I would be interested to know how flexible it is?

I use Stormseal on our inflatable canoes.  I have just bought a tube with the intention of trying it on my old Leaky boots.  I will report back.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:48:43, 03/12/18 »
Looking at the applications I would be interested to know how flexible it is?

I have emailed them and asked that very question, in relation to sealing 'needle' holes / stitching to stop water ingress in walking boots.
I'll post the answer when (if) I get one.

Maggot

« Reply #12 on: 23:21:07, 03/12/18 »
Simply get two small rubble sacks, put your feet in them, then put your boots on  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:46:35, 04/12/18 »

Rubbish, I'm afraid, Gunwharfman.  :) Can't see anything like what you propose producing anything other than a mess!

I would just slap a load of Nikwax on - will reduce the water ingress, I suspect, but basically the boots have had it. Treat yourself to a new pair - Christmas is coming!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:34:38, 05/12/18 »
I have received a reply from Captain Tolley regarding use on leather :

Question:
I have used the Creeping Crack Cure for many years on boats and
caravans, but now have a potential new application.

My walking boots have started to very slightly leak around the
stitching in the leather - would the Creeping Crack Cure be likely to
resolve this ? Would it work OK on leather ?
Would it stay in place if the leather was flexing ?

Would appreciate your advice.

Reply :

Dear Alan
Thank you for your email. Yes is the answer. We have very successfully
repaired our leather walking boots with the product. Best to apply in
warm, dry conditions and wait a few days to make sure the product has
cured.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Josh Jordan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy