Author Topic: Snowdon visitors asked to pay  (Read 5532 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon visitors asked to pay
« Reply #15 on: 23:17:29, 20/05/16 »

Completely agree Debs  O0  ive just drank my last tin of Tetleys and i cant drive to get some more what the hell am i going to do now  :o
Found a bottle of red wine panic over  ;D

21st century problems. Glad you found some wine. O0 hic!
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:19:54, 21/05/16 »
Its crazy to expect people to stand there rattling a bucket, why should they? I wouldn't do it. Would you?

I certainly wouldn't myself but I am sure we could find a few mugs who would love to stand in the cold and rain for "the good of the environment". ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:41:04, 21/05/16 »
We are not going to wear Snowdon, or any other mountain, away by walking on it. Let the meanies walk in mud or slip on untended paths if they are too tight to contribute. Its crazy to expect people to stand there rattling a bucket, why should they? I wouldn't do it. Would you? When it gets too bad, the hoards will go elsewhere, and the enthusiast will put up with it or find another way.

No bad thing if the hoards go away cos the paths aren't 'smooth' enough for them  O0

If there really is a need for funds to repair the paths add a charge to all those that take the train  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:15:12, 21/05/16 »
Unless its made compulsory, getting walkers to donate spare change towards the upkeep of the various paths up Snowdon, will be virtually impossible.
This afternoon, i counted eight unfortunates who had forgotten to pay to park on the road side opposite the Pen Y Gwyrydd hotel.

If Gwynedd Council and the National Park were genuinely serious about raising nearly quarter of a million annually, towards maintaining the many routes up Snowdon, then the revenue could easily be raised by the parking facilities in and around the mountain.

I counted nearly fifty vehicles parked on the verge, on the Gwynedd side of the mountain, opposite Pen Y Gwyrydd, with the vast majority of them coughing up £4 for the pleasure.

Pen Y Pass was groaning with traffic, most of whom had paid either the £5 or £10 to park.

These were only two carparks, of the many surrounding the mountain, on one day in a busy year.

Those eight yellow plastic envelopes on the cars, facing Bryn Gwynant, amounted to over £500 in revenue.

You see, £250,000 is a drop in the ocean, when one considers the parking revenue Gwynedd council collects annually throughout the year, from walkers eager to get up Snowdon.

Lets not forget, Gwynedd is an area of Wales, that relies almost solely on tourism to survive, and Mount Snowdon is like a magnet to nearly a million visitors every year.

If Gwynedd Council and the National Park wanted to, they could easily find ways to raise the required funds to maintain Snowdon.

Having volunteers standing with small tins at various locations, begging walkers to donate their coppers towards a worthy cause, will raise money, but 1/4Million, UNLIKELY

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:09:16, 21/05/16 »
Mount Snowdon is like a magnet to nearly a million visitors every year.

'Mount' Snowdon?  ???

you're not really from Wales are you?  ;)

heatybob

« Reply #20 on: 12:42:31, 22/05/16 »
Agree a great deal with what Deb's is saying however if it is a problem that (a) needs addressing and (b)   (a) can only be achieved by financial means then the money has to come from somewhere it's as simple as that.

I would guess that the car parks in the area are used solely by people using the National park,wouldn't it be fairer that ALL that money is used for the upkeep of the area ?.  It would be interesting to see just how much the owners of the car parks actually do take, I would guess that they, coupled with the fines issued are a major cash cow for the council.

All that said I wouldn't have any problem contributing bearing in mind the above, and any surplus could be used to lower the cost of the parking,though I'm not nieve enough to think that's gonna happen any time soon because of the above.
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:28:34, 23/05/16 »
In recent weeks, ive been driving up and around Bryn Gwynant and Pen Y Gwryd, on a regular basis, helping a relative in Conwy prepare their home for sale.

The Bryn Gwynant (Watkin Path) car park, has alway's been busy, even during mid week.
Ive lost count how many yellow parking tickets have been issued in and around Pen Y Gwyryd, i must have counted in excess of forty, due to the bulk of traffic using the road sides.

The real peak tourist season, has yet to start, but the revenue collected by Gwynedd council must already be considerable.

Its unlikely that much of the pay and display revenue goes on footpath maintenance, but throughout the season, the parking revenue of all the car parking in and around Snowdon, must be considerable.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:55:06, 25/05/16 »
Perhaps the best way forward is to introduce a licence or permit system.Either a pass for all National Parks or a  licence for mountains such as Snowdon,Scafell Pikes and Ben Nevis.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:14:43, 25/05/16 »
why stop at Mountain areas - why not charge families for access to beaches?  8) 

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:45:12, 26/05/16 »
Gwynedd authority needs tourism to financially  survive, and according to Welsh Government data, 87% of income generated in the Gwynedd area comes from tourist related businesses.
Forward thinking members of the council, should implement policy, whereby a significant proportion of the revenue generated by parking fees in and around the congested areas of the park, are used for maintenance of the footpaths.

Much of the National park, is owned by the National Trust and various famers, but the erosion up Snowdon has always been an issue.

Traffic up and down the mountain, is increasing year on year, and there is concern the erosion is getting out of hand.

If they had any sense, they should place one of those large perspex boxes inside the summit cafe, with those who are willing to throw their spare change into.

If everyone who walked in and out of that cafe throughout the season,dropped in 50p, the revenue would be available, yet everyone is making a song and dance about the whole thing.

The vast majority of walkers who arrive at the summit,either by train or on foot, venture inside the Hafod Eryri cafe, when its physically open.

Many walkers, i am sure would drop in a coin or two inside a donation box, so why have Gwynedd council and the National Trust not thought of the idea.

heatybob

« Reply #25 on: 12:17:50, 26/05/16 »
Just out of interest who actually owns the cafe ?, is that a private concern, national park,council,Snowdon Partnership ... never been in there but from what I gather with regards prices that dont lose money.
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:25:07, 26/05/16 »
I believe Hafod Eryri, is owned by the National Trust.
I can remember many years ago whilst visiting Avebury circle  in Wiltshire, the National Trust were then asking everyone to donate towards saving the summit for the nation.

Sir Anthony Hopkins donated £1million of his own money, when the fund was set up to buy the farming estate that encompassed 80% of the land in and around the mountain.

Up until Ants generous donation, the three million asking price was in danger of not being met, and there was huge concern that another private bidder would step in, and buy the estate.

The owner of the Mountain Railway and the National Trust are co owners of the summit area.

I was there on the day of the opening of the new cafe,when the then First Minister of Wales Rodrey Morgan opened the cafe, and the main sponsors of the project were given special badges to wear on the day.

All the sponsors names are highlighted in granite inside the building, next to the bogs.

When back in the Royal Victoria hotel car park, i asked one of them getting into his car,if they wanted to keep theirs, he willingly handed it over to me.

Its an item that i will never give away, or lose.

If i can figure out how to post a photo here on the forum, you can all have a peep at it.
« Last Edit: 17:33:43, 26/05/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:29:22, 26/05/16 »
Yippee, can't wait for that  ::)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:40:04, 26/05/16 »

If i can figure out how to post a photo here on the forum, you can all have a peep at it.

I'd rather see a photo of the badge

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:44:57, 26/05/16 »
How do i post photos here on the forum?
Do i copy and paste from my original folder on the computer, or do they automatically download from the camera.?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy