Author Topic: Welsh 'Reservoir District'  (Read 1550 times)

Robnolan

Welsh 'Reservoir District'
« on: 19:46:37, 03/07/16 »
I've just come across this as a description of a remote part of Wales. Has anyone else ever come across this term?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Welsh 'Reservoir District'
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:51, 03/07/16 »
I can't say I've heard the term, but the area of Mid Wales that includes Caban Coch in the Elan valley would probably be it, plenty of reservoirs and good walking country there  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:31:03, 06/07/16 »
I believe its the term used to describe the Elan Valley road towards Cwmystwyth, Devils Bridge Aberystwyth road.
A mobile signal is virtually non existent in this very remote area of Mid Wales, there is no significant population to justify the installation of radio masts.

You can also pick up the Abergwesyn Common road from this terribly remote circuit.

The rainfall in this remote area is some of the highest in Wales, almost to rival Capel Curig, and this is why so many reservoirs were sighted in this area of Wales.

In total, there are around fifteen separate reservoirs, including the main Elan Valley ones.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:00:37, 06/07/16 »
Not so remote I suggest.  I remember doing a cycling club weekend through the valley from Birmingham fifty years ago to the Devils Bridge area.  In the valley we found a van that had crashed off the road, no driver.  But the back was full of Aspro tablets.  Some of the guys( rescued) these.  A week later a policeman knocked on my door.  Someone had been watching.  Not guilty myself fortunately. Do not think I would want to walk the surrounding hills.  A lot of plodding over rather undistinguished moorland tops.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:24:33, 07/07/16 »
Wasn't the OP asking about the Elan Valley "reservoir district" though? The walking there is superb and certainly not as you describe.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:41:12, 07/07/16 »
I found the area by accident some 12 years ago while on a weekend trip. Went back and walked it again a couple of times after that but it was a longish trip from where I was stationed at the time. Certainly has a remote and beautiful feel and is good walking country in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't describe it as undistinguished and the dams themselves are quite picturesque.
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:37:48, 07/07/16 »
I have family in Herefordshire and Worcestershire - the Elan Valley was a regular day trip as a kid. Park by the side of the road so my great gran could sit for a couple of hours in a garden chair with a blanket over her knees and a cup of tea from a flask.  ;D

It's a lovely neck of the woods.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy