Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573109 times)

watershed

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3195 on: 18:26:52, 25/10/20 »
Lovely shots, pups look so vulnerable.

Continue to follow your walks, on maps around Shetland... was there a boat involved?

There are two Uyea Isles, this one is at North Roe the other is in Unst.
The Unst one needs a boat this one is tidal, it is an 11.5 mile round trip from the Main road.
I followed a hill road ( A rare thing here in Shetland). I didn't go onto the island today as the tide was still up and the sand Bar was covered.

Photo taken from the Mainland looking across to Uyea Isle.
The tide isn't down enough to cross the beach and keep dry feet.

« Last Edit: 18:50:57, 25/10/20 by watershed »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3196 on: 18:53:25, 25/10/20 »
Beautiful pictures of the pups and of Uyea - Mrs pdstsp and I were just talking the other night of our desire to return to Shetland - a truly beautiful place.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3197 on: 23:22:03, 25/10/20 »

There are two Uyea Isles, this one is at North Roe the other is in Unst.
The Unst one needs a boat this one is tidal, it is an 11.5 mile round trip from the Main road.
I followed a hill road ( A rare thing here in Shetland). I didn't go onto the island today as the tide was still up and the sand Bar was covered./quote

Aha I'm enjoying hunting around the Shetlands, I found the correct Uyea!  Interesting tale about the two girls from the other Uyea Isle being blown across to Norway!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3198 on: 23:24:02, 25/10/20 »
Cute and fluffy. Young animals are hard to beat for a great picture.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3199 on: 23:26:49, 25/10/20 »
A local walk from home with Mrs G down by the river Lyner today.  Some how we mist all the showers too.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3200 on: 18:09:23, 08/11/20 »
Plenty of walking this past weekend.  Took a few days of work to enjoy the good weather.

Final small walk today, out on Bodmin moor.  Over Shower tor to Brown Willy and straight back over Rough tor to pay my respects at the memorial.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3201 on: 19:19:24, 08/11/20 »
That area is still used for military training today but if I told you what for, I would have to kill you and eat you. 😉

Rough Tor is still on my shopping list - it is just a bit too far for a normal trip
« Last Edit: 19:25:49, 08/11/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3202 on: 23:47:22, 08/11/20 »
That area is still used for military training today but if I told you what for, I would have to kill you and eat you. 😉

Rough Tor is still on my shopping list - it is just a bit too far for a normal trip

A Merlin dropped two groups of RMs onto Dartmoor on Friday.  That was interesting to watch.  Chatted with one group not long after the drop, as they got their bearings. Couple of young lasses in it.

Never seen any military around Rough tor, since I did my basic training in that area.  Not walked there after dark much though.

It's a pretty small moor I've walked up from minions and back in a day twice now. Much quicker going than Dartmoor, due to the abundance of sheep and ponies keeping the vegetation cropped.

Today was just a short training walk.  I took a flask of tea but didn't even stop to drink it, as the tops were lost in cloud. So I just took the opportunity to give my legs and lungs a good busting before I'm back sat in my study all day again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 23:52:04, 08/11/20 by BuzyG »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3203 on: 15:20:51, 22/11/20 »

After last Sunday afternoon’s walk following heavy rain all night and morning when we decided to walk along the river wall at Woodbridge only to discover everyone else had the same idea, we searched out somewhere quieter today. Many of our go to walks round here in Suffolk involve walking across fields, which are already very muddy. So we’ve been looking at the walks and trying to incorporate some quiet lanes into them so we can avoid the muddiest bits. Quite happy with what we did this morning. 4.2 miles from Wickham Market, under the A12, path to cross footbridge over the river Deben and through woods to reach a minor road which winds it’s way through Loudham Hall estate, back over the A12 and through the pretty village of Pettistree back to the start.

Ashe Abbey, Loudham Hall estate  

Loudham Hall estate

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3204 on: 17:59:04, 22/11/20 »
Lovely shots of the seal pups, Watershed. The Peerie Wan looks so vulnerable.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3205 on: 18:22:59, 22/11/20 »
Lovely walk on North Dartmoor today. Belstone tor first, then followed the ridge past Oak tor, to Hanging stone. Cut across to Cranmmere pool, then back to the Ted Hughes memorial, before jumping on the track towards East Mill and cutting left over Highwillhays, Yes and West Mill tors.  Turned out to be a much better day than forecast.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3206 on: 18:26:10, 22/11/20 »
Lovely Photos RR.  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3207 on: 12:49:01, 06/12/20 »
With lockdown at an end, we were able to resume weekend walking with our daughter and two grandsons yesterday. We'd treated the boys to proper walking boots and they had great fun testing out the waterproofing on a 5+ mile countryside amble!  :)

Today, my wife and I went for a local 10k cross-country run. I realise that running might be frowned upon in this topic, so the second photo shows me walking near the top of the only significant hill on our route.  ;)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3208 on: 19:29:10, 06/12/20 »

Local slip and slide in the late afternoon sunshine  :D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3209 on: 19:50:22, 06/12/20 »
A perfect day on Dartmoor today.   A full day on the moor, 12.5 miles just bimbling along in the sunshine.  I sat on top of fur tor for almost 2 hours, watching the odd walker come and go and just listening to the silence.  So warm in the sun, hardly a breath of wind. 

If Carlsberg made weather.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy