Author Topic: Question about image size?  (Read 1179 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Question about image size?
« on: 08:50:14, 05/11/19 »
In some topics photo images appear full width and in others proportions seem to vary, how much is this controlled by the photo hosting site or the software of the forum. Back in the old photobucket days I used to size my images down, this does not seem necessary in Flickr, but the image size is obviously changed in transport.
Is there anyway that a portrait image can occupy the same width in a post as landscape?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Question about image size?
« Reply #1 on: 10:47:37, 05/11/19 »
I use Postimage.org to add images on the forum.
When you open the web page there is a drop down menu near the top that is set as default to 'Do not resize my image'.
You must make your choice first of all, before you load your image.
Options in the menu include 320x240 (for websites and email) and 640x480 (for message boards).
In practice I find that the 320 images are a bit too small on this forum while the 640 ones are too large and need scrolling to the right to see all of the photo on anything but a large monitor.

Perhaps someone knows of a similar type of site that gives better-sized results?
« Last Edit: 10:54:03, 05/11/19 by fernman »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:14:58, 05/11/19 »
Don't forget about the device the image is being viewed on.  If I read a trip report on my phone, some of the images come up as a little blue square yet when I view it on my lappy the photograph is there.  Additionally, some of the images I view on my phone are distorted yet on my lappy they're not.

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the image, but rather whether or not it will actually display!

snoopdawg

« Reply #3 on: 19:33:05, 05/11/19 »
I use Flickr and occasionally Imgur. On Imgur the image size can be chosen. I do find that sites portray different sizes despite the size of the original picture
« Last Edit: 19:38:58, 05/11/19 by snoopdawg »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:08:36, 06/11/19 »
Thanks very much for your comments. I shall have to look at the settings I have in Flickr and had not realised, that of course many will be using different devices to keep up with the forum. I think I will have have a look at Imgur and Postimage to see if it worthwhile haviing more control over how images can be posted.
Sometimes the importance of an image can be in the detail, understanding how this can be controlled and how the recipient will see it is valuable.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy