Author Topic: Newbie .  (Read 2843 times)

Big Ben 69

Newbie .
« on: 11:17:58, 27/04/20 »
Hi to everyone, My name is Ben 50yrs old from Hull & relatively new to walking. The older I get the more I find myself drawn to walking, I still like to swim & last year did my first open water swims, but that's another story.
In my younger years I was an avid MTB rider spending most days cycling offroad CC trails.
My partner likes to walk but will sometimes avoid the longer walks (15miles) a she says I have a tendency to walk too fast for her liking so I tend to do these alone !
Am looking to walk from east to west along the pennine way & if possible for a Charity ,so am looking for any advice on achieving this.

Regards to all .

Ben :)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie .
« Reply #1 on: 12:01:35, 27/04/20 »
Welcome from Somerset
It's all uphill from here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:09:21, 27/04/20 »
Welcome Ben from an overcast Devon.
My good lady did not like my longer walks either but as time went by my long walks got shorter and she got fitter so these days we do most walks together.

Open water swimming - that is one of the new phrases.  When I was a kid, we all swam in the river and it was just called swimming.   The chlorinated stuff was called "going to the pool"
Walking East to West along the Pennine Way will be quite a feat, best tackle the Trans Pennine Trail first as a warm up! 
« Last Edit: 12:52:40, 27/04/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Big Ben 69

« Reply #3 on: 14:14:47, 27/04/20 »
I think I may have got my trails & ways wrong concerning the walk, my goal is to walk from Hull to Blackpool, Is this the trans pennine trail or something completely different ? Its something thats just come into my mind in the past few weeks & haven't really researched it, so any help would be appreciated.

When we were young, the only real option for swimming was the pool, unless we had the day out at the beach, which were few & far between, never really had the opportunity to swim in a river or lake .

I think you may be right "open water swimming" is one of those new fangled phrases, which if i'm honest i don't mind, one that really winds me up though is "Pan fried". :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:48:41, 27/04/20 »
one that really winds me up though is "Pan fried". :)
  At last!  I thought it was just me!  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:27:09, 27/04/20 »
Welcome to the forum from sunny South Cumbria, Ben  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:58:40, 27/04/20 »
Welcome to the forum from sunny Aberdeenshire.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:22:13, 27/04/20 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:22:59, 27/04/20 »
I think I may have got my trails & ways wrong concerning the walk, my goal is to walk from Hull to Blackpool, Is this the trans pennine trail or something completely different ? Its something thats just come into my mind in the past few weeks & haven't really researched it, so any help would be appreciated.

When we were young, the only real option for swimming was the pool, unless we had the day out at the beach, which were few & far between, never really had the opportunity to swim in a river or lake .

I think you may be right "open water swimming" is one of those new fangled phrases, which if i'm honest i don't mind, one that really winds me up though is "Pan fried". :)

Welcome on board from Cornwall. :)

Coasteering is the one that get's me. Having been fortunate to live on or near the coast my whole life. It was called messing about on the rocks or tomb stoning by the do-gooders.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy