Author Topic: Yorkshire three peaks  (Read 27755 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Yorkshire three peaks
« on: 16:34:26, 22/09/06 »
I fancy doing the yorkshire three peaks which are the highest summits in the yorkshire dales you start of at Penyghent Café in (Here you "clock-out" using the antique clocking machine, and then "clock-in" later in the day when you have completed the walk. On the clocking-out card you leave details of: your name; address; telephone number; vehicle registration and where it is parked. When you complete the walk, you must ensure that you clock in. )Horton-In-Ribblesdale and follows an anti-clockwise route first up Penyghent, then Whernside and finally up Ingleborough, before descending the final few miles back down to the Penyghent Café. you must complete the walk in under 12 hour and its 25 miles the ones you must complete are the Penyghent, Whernside or Ingleborough mountains. What i like about this walk is that you can do it in a day not like the tree peaks which take 24 hours and you  can do something else the next day like walking along the river ribble which is one of my next things planned the ribble way or walk some of the pennine way. its worth doing and like i said you can do something else the next day or if your planning on doing the pennine way you can walk and see where to stay some might say that take all the fun out of the pennine way or other walks in the area. So i was just woundering if any one done this.
« Last Edit: 18:41:04, 23/09/06 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Deerplay

Re: Yorkshire three peaks
« Reply #1 on: 00:40:53, 23/09/06 »
Did this in June, before I fell off my bike and all that bother. I went to bed early and drove from my home (Lancashire) to Horton for first light. It was amusing driving by the pubs/clubs in Burnley as they were throwing people out. I set off up Pen y gent and eventually compelted by 2pm. Weather was overcast but fine. It was a good walk and I was impressed as I approached the summit of Ingleborough that I was overtaking people who had just walked from the car park wheras I had done two other peaks prior to this. Once on Ingleborough I felt I had finished only to discover that it is still several miles back to Horton. So watch out for that! My calculations made it 26 miles. A very good walk though. There is  good route description by someone else on "the walking englishman" if you want to Google for it.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:31:35, 23/09/06 »
I seen the walking english man site it an  intresting site. Did You sign in before you did your walk and did you get your three Peaks badge and tie and join the Three Peaks of Yorkshire club.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Deerplay

« Reply #3 on: 23:42:21, 23/09/06 »
No badges, I just did the walk. I'm not really into badges, certificates and so on. I've accumulated lots over the years for study, skiing, alpine mountaineering and such and feel I have enough now. Nobody checks anyway so only you know if you have done the walk. It would be easy to claim the badge having spent the day in the pub!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:18:20, 24/09/06 »
Well yes but iam going to get mine as i doing something for my partner b-day  next year and it's just a laugh and he doesn't know about.  ;D How long did it take you to do it  i just hope that i can complete it in time. But i don't intend to run it neither 2 1/2 hour it taken this guy to run the three peaks (Yorkshire) he must be mad that all i can say. Nothing  wrong in running but  I'd be dead. I was reading up on it in the cafe last week as we went down for my b-day. This weekend coming up where of to do the three peaks of yorkshire so wish us LUCK....
« Last Edit: 00:34:15, 25/09/06 by walkinggirluk »

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:07:04, 22/10/06 »
I did the Yorkshire three peaks. Been trying to put the pictures up but for some reason i can't any how i did it in 12 hours but i didn't clock in because it doesn't open until 8am. We went up  Penyghent  and than over to Whernside  and than up Ingleborough, The  day was lovely long and hard though. Am going walking in London at the weekend.
« Last Edit: 15:08:39, 22/10/06 by walkinggirluk »

clean it bin it

Deerplay

« Reply #6 on: 01:16:09, 25/10/06 »
Well done. A worthwhile achievement by anybody's standards. As i said before - You know what you've done.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:56:15, 25/10/06 »
It was very hard work though and good fun would done it all again.  Nxt time though i would clock in but as i said the cafe was closed and did open until 8am and we wanted to set of early so i didn't get my tie. Also my calculations made this walk 24 miles.

clean it bin it

garytombom

« Reply #8 on: 14:29:55, 03/11/06 »
Hi all
Did the three peaks last year in 11 hours 5 minutes.
Because the cafe isnt open for 12 hours. I went the day before got a form to fill in and posted it at the cafe on the morning. It is based on trust as you fill in your start time. They will then do you a clock card when they open. We set off at 6am to make sure we got back before closing.
Again its based on trust and honesty and the only person you would kid would be yourself.
Yours
         Garytombom(newbie)
Live today like its your last.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:22:22, 03/11/06 »
Welcome!
garytombom it is all based on trust. But also like deerplay said You know what you've done and you can only be true to your self as for the form to fill in before hand i didn't know that and since we were there for the Yorkshire three peaks we went for it form or no form hard work but a lot of fun doing it. Nxt time we do this is in the winter so that should be fun anyhow we also did it in less than 12 hours or 12 hours something like that anyhow welcome.

clean it bin it

garytombom

« Reply #10 on: 20:52:55, 03/11/06 »
Hi, is there anyone ever on this forum??
Would dearly like to meet up with walkers for sorties in lakes, snowdonia even scotland. been let down too many times in past with so called friends.Normally go with my babes. 2 gorgeous border collies, Suzy and jazzy.
But not always as some mountains are beyond them at the moment. there 10 months and 1 year old.
Yours
        Gary

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:57:01, 03/11/06 »
If you keep posting here and get to know people first. Than you stand more of a change of meeting up with people who might go walking with you other than that keep doing the thing you like and remember that some times being on your own is more  peaceful.  But it would be good to meet up with people from here  and do a Challenge with them which could be fun and than chat later. Who knows any how best of luck and keep posting.

clean it bin it

garytombom

« Reply #12 on: 23:09:48, 03/11/06 »
Thanks walkinggirl looked up the other sites you sent me. Got a positive response from some dude in Burnley,not too far from me. E-Mailed him and am waiting for reply, heres hoping. and thanks
Yours
        Gary T

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:59:47, 03/11/06 »
Thats ok glad i could be of help good luck and happy walking. WG

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:00:00, 10/11/06 »
I just change my old e-mail address so hope i can put a pictures up nowTryed that and that did'nt work what i don't understand is that i put pictures up before and now i can't would of loved to put the three peaks up there.
« Last Edit: 09:03:27, 10/11/06 by walkinggirluk »

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy