Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276323 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #570 on: 17:57:08, 31/07/18 »
After the debacle on Exmoor last week, this morning I took Mrs N on a nice 8 - 9 miler on Dartmoor from Dartmeet and to add interest the route included 5 river crossings on stepping stones.  All went well on the first crossing, just a few "ooers" and "wait for me"s.  The second crossing was a bit shorter and we made it with only a few more grumbles.  The third crossing was a doozy, wide, lots of nice big stones, lots of rushing water, just what you signed on for.  Well, we got to about 5 stones from the far end but the next stone was rounded, in deep fast water and with only room for one foot on top so it was going to be a two step onto the next stone.  It was also a bit of a stretch.  At this point management announced there was no way she was doing that.  Now to be fair, her legs are shorter than mine and when it comes to grace, poise and balance - she was hiding behind the door while they were being issued.  I tried to persuade her but she was firm on the issue so we back tracked over the second crossing (less grumbles this time) and went a different way back to Dartmeet. Anyone know any good leg lengthening exercises?

Observations on Dartmoor stepping stones:
It is amazing how often you can get 2 people on a stone built for one but it would help if one of them wasn't wearing a rucksack!
An Osprey Kestrel rucksack will support the weight of a second person if I she is desperate enough.
Standing sideways over a wide gap in partial splits with each foot on a different stone is not a good idea - moving one foot to the other can be done, however - it just needs enough deep looking peaty water and plenty of adrenalin.
(Ma'am says all stones must have flat tops forthwith and a handrail wouldn't go amiss either but then she's picky - she picked me) ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #571 on: 17:55:13, 01/08/18 »

Not long back from a 2 hour jaunt around Mull Head in Orkney; pretty much the same route as described HERE

Weather pleasant, but not ideal for photography, so here's a picture of Mull Head from a few days ago.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #572 on: 19:33:53, 01/08/18 »
Orkney looks very Cornish.  I understand there are similar and even older Neolithic sites there too.  Resting this evening a few niggles telling me not to push it.  Beautiful evening out though. 

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #573 on: 19:50:58, 01/08/18 »
I walked on the South Downs today from Storrington to Sullington via Wepham Down.  A lovely walk in glorious sunshine    :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #574 on: 20:00:53, 01/08/18 »
What cracking place names, invokes thoughts of adventures with the famous five.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #575 on: 20:30:02, 01/08/18 »
What cracking place names, invokes thoughts of adventures with the famous five.
:)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #576 on: 19:45:09, 06/08/18 »
I walked on the South Downs today from Bramber to Steyning via the hillfort of Chanctonbury Ring.  An enjoyable walk of rolling downland with panoramic views.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #577 on: 09:09:33, 07/08/18 »
Leading a 'classic' Peaks walk on Thursday; Stanage Edge, Higger Tor, Carl Wark, Burbage Edge, Padley Gorge.
Sooo glad it's going to be cooler! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #578 on: 15:36:12, 07/08/18 »
I walked on the South Downs today from Bramber to Steyning via the hillfort of Chanctonbury Ring.  An enjoyable walk of rolling downland with panoramic views.

I always enjoy reading about your walks on the South Downs as it reminds me off my walk last year so I know some of the places. I really want to walk the SDW again but my bucket list is getting longer  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #579 on: 21:07:45, 07/08/18 »
I always enjoy reading about your walks on the South Downs as it reminds me off my walk last year so I know some of the places. I really want to walk the SDW again but my bucket list is getting longer  :D
Thanks bricam    :)    If you do the SDW again it would be an idea to take in the alternative Alfriston-Eastbourne route, which goes via Jevington, as well as doing the coastal route.

astaman

« Reply #580 on: 13:55:36, 09/08/18 »
Wednesday 7th August.  An afternoon walk from Catfirth in South Nesting in Shetland, around the shore to Stendhal, including a walk around Little Holm which is an island at the top of the tide twice a day. Distance: 5.1 miles including the road walk back to the car.

Thursday 8th August. Took most of the day to walk from Stendhal in South Nesting (where I ended yesterday's walk) around the shore to Eswick - by way of Gletness, the Gloup of Gletness, Aswick and the Moull of Eswick, - ending at the beautiful sand and shingle beach at Es Wick. Wonderful cliffs, geos, storm beaches, rocky hills, seals, an otter. Distance: 11.4 miles.

I realise that these place names will mean very little to most people so I'll post grid refs in future so anyone and in possession of digital mapping can look it up. There are also websites with pics. I'm currently (very gradually) walking around the coastline of all of the permanently inhabited islands in Shetland and am thinking about logging my adventures on the Long Distance Walks strand where I could go into more detail and provide photographs and even drawings and watercolours.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #581 on: 17:43:59, 09/08/18 »
Please do post your pictures Astaman - I was lucky enough to visit Shetland earlier this year and it blew me away - such a beautiful place.  I would love to read your reports.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #582 on: 19:45:39, 09/08/18 »
Starting the Thames Path tomorrow in London, I'm looking forward to one of the less strenuous long distance walks  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #583 on: 10:28:44, 11/08/18 »
Did an evening walk with the group last night. Started 5.45pm from Monsal Head. Walked along the trail for a while before dropping down to Cressbrook Mill and Water-cum-Joly.  From there, we wandered through Ravensdale & Cressbrook Dale to Wardlow Mires and then up over Longstone Moor. About 11 miles,  with lovely early eve sunshine, clear skies and the stars looked amazing once it went dark.
Didn't bother with head torches as could just about see enough to get to the pub at the end! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #584 on: 23:26:27, 11/08/18 »
Took advantage of the cooler weather, on Friday evening, to hammer around a short steep training route I enjoy on Bodmin moor near minions.  It's four miles with four steep ramps in the middle of around 200 - 250 ft each. Plus I run/jog the flatter sections. I am crtainly not built for fell running at 16 stone.  But delighted to clock 57 minutes and break 4mph.

15 miles planned on Dartmoor, at a moor modest pace tommorrow.

Two weeks to go now untill Ska fell with my son,.  Hopefully I won't hold him up too much. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy