Author Topic: Crikey it's a big place... where to start?  (Read 4828 times)

Alexandicity

Crikey it's a big place... where to start?
« on: 13:52:09, 01/08/07 »
Hi all!

I used to go walking loads, mainly in the Benelux and France but since I started working in London I've hardly been able to escape at all! So I promised myself that I'd go trek across the prettiest place I could find in the nearby UK - the Lake District appeared the obvious choice!

But there's so much information out there it's hard to sort. before I get some maps out and plot a trip, I was wondering if anyone could advise on the area. I'm sure you all have a wealth of experience of the area and where to go, something I lack. I want a 2/3 day trip, perhaps coving 25-35 miles. I'm particularly fond of epic views and being high up so I'm thinking a ridge walk or one that goes up and down the crags! I'm also hoping to camp along the way, but there appears to be an abundance of sites for this everywhere! The other requirement is that I end in Cockermouth, on the northern edge, as I've friends up there I want to see...

Any recommendations of routes or places to see along the way? I was thinking of starting at Ambleside, going west a couple miles then follow the peaks in a northerly direction - sound any good?

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Crikey it's a big place... where to start?
« Reply #1 on: 14:02:23, 01/08/07 »
Hi all!

I used to go walking loads, mainly in the Benelux and France but since I started working in London I've hardly been able to escape at all! So I promised myself that I'd go trek across the prettiest place I could find in the nearby UK - the Lake District appeared the obvious choice!

But there's so much information out there it's hard to sort. before I get some maps out and plot a trip, I was wondering if anyone could advise on the area. I'm sure you all have a wealth of experience of the area and where to go, something I lack. I want a 2/3 day trip, perhaps coving 25-35 miles. I'm particularly fond of epic views and being high up so I'm thinking a ridge walk or one that goes up and down the crags! I'm also hoping to camp along the way, but there appears to be an abundance of sites for this everywhere! The other requirement is that I end in Cockermouth, on the northern edge, as I've friends up there I want to see...

Any recommendations of routes or places to see along the way? I was thinking of starting at Ambleside, going west a couple miles then follow the peaks in a northerly direction - sound any good?

Starting from Ambleside you could take the Western leg of the "Fairfield Horseshoe" and then descend to Grisedale Tarn. From there yo could follow the full Helvellyn Ridge over Dollywagon, Nethermost Pike, Helvellyn , White Side and Raise before crossing the Sticks Pass to Stybarrow Dodd , Watsons Dodd , Great Dodd and Clough Head. From there you could make your way to Keswick which ain't that far from Cockermouth. Have a look at the maps. Post back or mail me if you need anymore info.

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:54:11, 01/08/07 »
Hi Alexandicity.

Welcome to the forum if your heading up to the Lakes the Fairfield Horseshoe is a good place to go did this a few weeks back and loved every second of it.  You could wonder over to Scar fell pike.   

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:53:12, 04/09/07 »
  8))hi crikey its abig place, I'm off to lake district on the 19 september for 7 days and nights cant wait, I'm going to start from PATTERDALE and trek up HELVELLYN first and of course striding edge, then from there all the summits on the way back down, i.e NETHERMOST PIKE/HIGH CRAG/DOLLYWAGGON PIKE  that should take me about 12 hours at a reosonable walking rate i reckon anyway mate, then I'm going to find a really nice wild place to set my camp up for the night, you cant beat wild camping especially with a beautiful back ground watching the sun go down below and behind the fells, anyway enough of me going on with myself, where ever you start or finish you'll have a great time. O0
« Last Edit: 18:55:29, 04/09/07 by darksky »
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy