Author Topic: David Hall Fellwalks  (Read 15083 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: David Hall Fellwalks
« Reply #15 on: 09:18:24, 11/06/17 »
I don't think it is possible to rescue the pages as the content has been excluded from the Wayback Machine. It might be a little deeper than "poor connectivity".

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:31:55, 11/06/17 »
If it genuinely has gone I would seriously contemplate contacting David Hall directly to see if I can help him archive the existing material. He might not want it done but I can ask.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:06:02, 11/06/17 »
To say this is a shame is a total understatement. When I'm planning on going to the Lakes, this is the 1st place I look for ideas and am grateful for his time and effort.

I do hope the site returns, even if he didn't update it as it's invaluable reading for people like me.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:05:42, 11/06/17 »
To say this is a shame is a total understatement. When I'm planning on going to the Lakes, this is the 1st place I look for ideas and am grateful for his time and effort.

I do hope the site returns, even if he didn't update it as it's invaluable reading for people like me.
My thinking exactly. It's a brilliant resource.

Does anyone here have contact details for David? If so can they PM me? I seem to remember there was an email address on the website but that's gone now. I will have a nose in google's cached pages.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:03:43, 11/06/17 »

My thoughts exactly :( I will miss the site so much. I would feel the same way if my Wainwright guides were taken away, devastated  :(

Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:13:15, 11/06/17 »
Very sad news indeed
 :-\
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

MarkA

« Reply #21 on: 19:32:33, 11/06/17 »
My thinking exactly. It's a brilliant resource.

Does anyone here have contact details for David? If so can they PM me? I seem to remember there was an email address on the website but that's gone now. I will have a nose in google's cached pages.

If you contact Paul Sharkey (Sharkey's Dream) [email protected], I'm sure he will pass a message on.
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:18:44, 11/06/17 »
That is sad news  :(   ..will really miss David's great photos and witty captions

JohnN

« Reply #23 on: 21:01:51, 11/06/17 »
Agree with everyone who has commented, a great shame. When completing my Wainwright's, along with Sean McMahon's Striding Edge site (sadly, his walks are few and far between these days), his website was invaluable. And I particularly liked his walk descriptions and amusing anecdotes that often made me chuckle. A real loss.
David, if you do happen to read these posts then I would like to thank you for the many years of enjoyment, painstaking updating of route information, fabulous pictures and funny stories & observations! Hopefully I'll see you on a fell or even in a sheepfold one of these days!

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:57:19, 11/06/17 »

If you contact Paul Sharkey (Sharkey's Dream) [email protected], I'm sure he will pass a message on.
Thank you Mark. I'll contact Paul tomorrow.

Fairbs

« Reply #25 on: 10:42:11, 12/06/17 »
Thank you Percy.  I've from the States and may not get back to hike the Lakes but I view David Hall's website every day - it's how I start my morning and it is a huge loss for me as for many others.  If there is anything any of us can do, please let us know.  If David can't continue, and I've always marveled at the time and effort he put into the site, if it could be archived it would continue be the best resource for anyone looking for information on the Lakes.

And thank you David Hall for years of pleasure.  I'd always hoped to thank you but couldn't get in touch - so sorry it had to be like this.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:33:36, 12/06/17 »
And thank you David Hall for years of pleasure.

Yes, thank you David Hall for your website, it will be a huge miss for a lot of people all over the world. David Hall helped me complete my first round of Wainwrights. I didn't do them all until I moved to Cumbria 10 years ago. I last used his site for a specific route just last weekend, from Troutbeck Tongue to Theshthwaite Mouth, I'd never done that route before and all the information I needed was there on his site.

if it could be archived it would continue be the best resource for anyone looking for information on the Lakes

It is indeed the best resource for information on the Lakes. I hope something can be done to have the information archived somehow.

Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:44:57, 12/06/17 »
 This is all I can find.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.walkthefells.net/

It would appear that the rest of the content has been removed.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:51:42, 12/06/17 »
It looks like it is all still in the google cache. From the page you listed copy any link and replace everything after cache: in the address you posted and there it is, for example here's a walk to Binsey:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.walkthefells.net/PAGES/WALKS/20170502_ID_1738.html

It means it all still exists and could be grabbed automatically using a script written in something like the perl programming language - I know how to do this but have contacted Paul Sharkey and will see what comes of that. I would obviously never do anything with all this stuff without David Hall's explicit permission. But the good news is that the content is not lost. O0

Fairbs

« Reply #29 on: 14:46:50, 12/06/17 »
That's great news Percy.  I hope David will agree and has some idea from these posts just how much we value his work and how he's made it possible for so many to enjoy the Lakes.  What he's posted over the years is simply the best information out there, and his personal comments and pictures are invaluable.  His site is more than just a hiking or trekking guide - it can't be replaced.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy