Author Topic: Tomorrow night in Keswick!  (Read 1385 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Tomorrow night in Keswick!
« on: 21:45:14, 10/07/17 »
I made a decision about 15 minutes ago! I'm going to drive towards Edinburgh from tomorrow morning (11/07/2017) and will try to get to Keswick by late afternoon. I plan to pitch my tent on the campsite beside Derwentwater, go for a stroll if I have the time and then go into town for a couple of beers and a meal. If anybody from the Forum is in Keswick at the same time, I'd be pleased to buy you a pint! In the morning I plan to get up early, perhaps climb a bit of Blencathra and then set off for Edinburgh in the middle of the afternoon. I don't have to be there until after 6pm. I'll check the 'My Messages' section on the Forum when I arrive in Keswick to see if my luck is in.

Our only son (from England) is getting married to his fiance (she's from Norway/USA) next Wednesday and my job is to collect them both and their stuff, wedding dress and the like and bring them back to our home.

They will be having a Scottish dance evening on the night (the bit of Scottish culture that has impacted on them, which they like) and I'm supposed to have a go. Not looking forward to that, I'm one of those blokes who prefer to stay 'in the kitchen' in parties! Luckily no disco planned, thank the Lord! They asked me for a suggestion for the last tune, the slow one, all I could think of was Charles Aznafour singing 'She'. Really showing my age!

My son's fiance wanted a Barn wedding just like 'back home in the USA' so its a barn that has been hired. When evening is finished everyone goes back to their hotels in the Portsmouth area, the bride and groom stay in the 'honeymoon suite' next to the barn and I plan to camp in my one man tent on the lawn in the grounds. The next morning I drive them and their stuff, whatever it is, back to our home.

Once finished I'm going on a hike, possibly the Sussex Border Path, I'll make my mind up for sure later.

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Tomorrow night in Keswick!
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:24, 11/07/17 »
Sounds like a plan. Weddings are something of a good excuse for trying something different, it seems, so get those knees out and give the Scottish dancing a good go;you may just enjoy it (and at least everyone can have a laugh at your expense!). Hope your trip goes to plan O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:44:05, 11/07/17 »
Our only son (from England) is getting married to his fiance (she's from Norway/USA) next Wednesday and my job is to collect them both and their stuff, wedding dress and the like and bring them back to our home.

They will be having a Scottish dance evening on the night (the bit of Scottish culture that has impacted on them, which they like) and I'm supposed to have a go. Not looking forward to that, I'm one of those blokes who prefer to stay 'in the kitchen' in parties! Luckily no disco planned, thank the Lord! They asked me for a suggestion for the last tune, the slow one, all I could think of was Charles Aznafour singing 'She'. Really showing my age!

My son's fiance wanted a Barn wedding just like 'back home in the USA' so its a barn that has been hired. When evening is finished everyone goes back to their hotels in the Portsmouth area, the bride and groom stay in the 'honeymoon suite' next to the barn and I plan to camp in my one man tent on the lawn in the grounds. The next morning I drive them and their stuff, whatever it is, back to our home.

Congratulations to your son and prospective daughter-in-law.  :) 

And nowt wrong with wanting to stay in the kitchen, at house parties at least (though probably not the the done thing at weddings, especially your own child's) - in my experience, the most interesting people and conversations are to be found in the kitchen!  ;D

Enjoy your stop-off in the Lakes, and next week's celebrations.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:31:05, 11/07/17 »
Damn it - Free drinks - I'm never in the right place............................. >:(

Seriously - have a great time; a bit of a knees up does everyone good. Hope all goes to plan, though camping on the lawn outside the honeymoon suite is a little unusual.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:36:37, 11/07/17 »
though camping on the lawn outside the honeymoon suite is a little unusual.

:) :) :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:11:30, 14/07/17 »
The wedding location is very rural and the grounds are lovely. I considered finding a B & B but I thought, for a few hours of darkness whats the point of spending the money! My other problem is that I am always such an early riser, so mooching about a B & B, or killing time before anybody in the building has arisen is for me, just one of those very boring aspects of life and I'd just rather not do it.

I've just spent 24hrs in Keswick camped on the shore of Derwentwater, Sunny, warm and most enjoyable, a couple of beers in the Dog and Gun, plus a meal, and a chat with an American couple hiking the C to C, my timing went so well. I then got up at dawn, packed and drove off and climbed Blencathra, a really good few hours. I then drove to Edinburgh, stayed the night and drove son and fiance them home to our house, plus all their 'stuff'.

My son and future daughter in law, although 28 never stop eating, a meal here, a snack there, plus a final dine in Lemington Spar in the evening! I couldn't keep up! This morning they and my wife have gone out for an 'early' (11.20 a.m.) breakfast in the local Gunwharf Quays shopping centre, I declined, can't cope with more food!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:31:39, 28/07/17 »
Wedding done, my life can now get back to normal! The wedding location was interesting, a small hamlet called Upwaltham, near Chichester, nothing really there other than a couple of houses and the 'Upwaltham Wedding Barn'. I can fully recommend the place for anyone thinking about getting hitched in this area.

A public footpath goes through the grounds of the barn. Its rolling West Sussex downs country, so I got out of my tent, ate some wedding cake for breakfast and then strolled up to the top of the hill and then down the other side and arrived at Stane Street, an old Roman road which came from from London to Chichester. Only grass now, but a very attractive place for a walk, especially at 6.00am on a sunny morning! By 9.00am it was tipping it down!

My new daughter in law, by agreement with her husband, has decided to keep her maiden name. She's a Graphic Designer and they both feel it would just be too difficult to change everything, bank accounts and all and they are worried that it would take so long to re-establish herself professionally again. I can understand the problem so if you see work by Louisa Claire Anderson, that's her!

I had such great walking plans at the early part of the year, even was considering walking the Spanish GR11 or the GR20 in Corsica but it just never worked out! I think now I will hike the Glynwrs Way sometime in August (when I get my tent repaired) and if I am to do a French or Spanish hike it will now have to be in September.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy