Author Topic: Whistle Distress Signal  (Read 3947 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Whistle Distress Signal
« on: 18:47:24, 24/07/17 »
OK, all my life, I 'knew' the international distress signal as six blasts in a minute. Three blasts is the response. Doing a quick online check, everything I can see seems to agree with this.
I also 'knew' that in the US and aviation, three was the distress signal (be it three fires, three flashes, three whistle blasts).

Recently, I was told by an MRT member that the correct distress signal for use in the UK was three blasts on the whistle and that no-one should blow a response. Now, I understand several reasons why a response would not be a good idea (confusing rescue teams, casualty stopping blowing when they hear it and thus not being located, etc.), but the claim of a change to the distress signal was a surprise.
I can see that aligning with other places would be favourable, but if it has changed, surely this should have spread amongst the community by now?

Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Whistle Distress Signal
« Reply #1 on: 18:56:30, 24/07/17 »
All I can say is I think he's wrong  :)

See the post at the top of this thread http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34950.msg500794;topicseen#msg500794
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:31, 24/07/17 »
I would agree with sussamb, nothing has changed as far as I can tell.

thomasdevon

« Reply #3 on: 19:46:14, 24/07/17 »
Interesting. It seems that 6 blasts per minute then 3 back is the UK and European standard, but 3 blasts is more widely international, which I didn't know until googling a bit. But it seems silly to demand a "correct" signal that nobody in the UK would be able to interpret.

KimE

« Reply #4 on: 20:07:58, 24/07/17 »
SOS three short, three long, three short. ▄▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄▄▄  ▄  ▄▄▄  ▄  ▄▄▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  ▄  

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:02:55, 25/07/17 »
Obviously, any whistling is likely to be investigated, but the suggestion of the change did take me aback.
Rather more worryingly, on that back of it having been told to some of my colleagues, DofE students at my school have been taught the US three blast distress signal.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:29:09, 25/07/17 »
I think in reality it would make little difference, 3 or 6 blasts, I would still go looking for them, and I think lots of people would still seek/offer assistance on hearing either.

I think more important is the emphasis on teaching people to continue to blow the whistle to aid searchers in finding you.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:39:10, 25/07/17 »
I quite agree.

thomasdevon

« Reply #8 on: 11:15:22, 26/07/17 »
Obviously, any whistling is likely to be investigated, but the suggestion of the change did take me aback.
Rather more worryingly, on that back of it having been told to some of my colleagues, DofE students at my school have been taught the US three blast distress signal.

The potential issue though, is if you hear 3 blasts and move towards it, is it a party in distress using 3 blasts to request aid, or is it a rescue party signalling a response to another party using 6 blasts, which you could not hear owing to terrain? Always bearing in mind too, its not uncommon at least on Dartmoor to meet non-UK hikers.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:37:05, 26/07/17 »
Well if the calls are repeated I think it is reasonable to assume that they are from someone in trouble. I would have though if you can hear the responders then you can also hear those whistling for help and make you judgement accordingly.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:08:28, 26/07/17 »
As a matter of interest, who is the "they" that decide these things? What legitimate authority do they have?
Solvitur Ambulando

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:23:48, 26/07/17 »
... I was told by an MRT member that the correct distress signal for use in the UK was three blasts on the whistle...

A quick Google suggests that most MRTs still state the distress signal is six blasts on a whistle (or six flashes of a torch or a reflector).

FWIW I first learnt that in the Cubs 60 years ago and have seen it repeated countless times since.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy