Author Topic: Slievenaglogh hike  (Read 1134 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Slievenaglogh hike
« on: 18:59:49, 29/12/15 »
With a deteriorating weather forecast in the afternoon and 2-3 hours of sunshine in the morning, I ascended one of my favourite low level mountains, Slievenaglogh, today. At 455m, the mountain proves you don't always have to climb very high to obtain great views. The distance was just over 5km, taking 1.45 hours. The summit offers great views of the Silent Valley and the eastern/central Mournes.

Eagle Mountain:

From Carn to Ben Crom:

A zoom-in on Carn:

Slieve Muck, Carn and Slieveloughshannagh from start of ascent:

Carlingford Lough:

Binnians from Slievenaglogh:

Knockchree:

The eastern and central Mournes from Slievenaglogh:

Silent Valley, Ben Crom, Bernagh, Ben Crom reservoir:

A Zoom-in on Bernagh and Doan:

View towards Knockchree and Slieve Foye from Slievenaglogh:

From Bernagh to Carn:

Ben Crom reservoir from Slievenaglogh:

Slieve Muck from Slievenaglogh:

View of Ben Crom, Doan, Bernagh, Slieveloughshannagh and Meelbeg taken on the descent of Slievenaglogh:

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Slievenaglogh hike
« Reply #1 on: 19:49:49, 29/12/15 »
Lovely photos Henry  O0 My fave is the Silent Valley shot  :)
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Slievenaglogh hike
« Reply #2 on: 20:06:38, 29/12/15 »
Thanks April, the best thing about this walk is that the view of the Silent Valley is concealed until the last moment when the summit is gained; it is hidden during the ascent. Also, when making the final stretch towards the summit the Mourne wall conceals most of the panorama towards the eastern and central Mournes. At the corner of the wall, there is a stile. When climbing the stile, the views from Carn to Binnian are unveiled at once. That is my favourite element of hill walking - when you can see from yards to miles in a split second. The best walk I ever did in the Mournes was a tour of the Silent Valley taking in Slievenaglogh, Binnian, wee Binnian and Moolieve. :)   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy