Author Topic: Best value waterproof jacket?  (Read 3335 times)

WalkingWoody

Best value waterproof jacket?
« on: 16:44:22, 10/09/19 »
I am in need of a new waterproof jacket. I can't spend hundreds or the misses will kill me.

So, what in your opinion is the best value waterproof jacket out there?

P>S must be breathable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Best value waterproof jacket?
« Reply #1 on: 16:49:44, 10/09/19 »
Search Waterproof or Breathable in the forum search tool, there are many threads on this subject.  Here is one http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38841.0
Solvitur Ambulando

WalkingWoody

« Reply #2 on: 16:54:55, 10/09/19 »
Thanks O0

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:12:38, 10/09/19 »
I have a nearly new berghaus attrition 2 (iirc) in blue/black that I've only worn twice - it's just the small side of medium if that's any good to you?

If I remember right it should have been £400 down to £300 because the shop was closing down and cost me £200 (i might even still have the tags come to think of it) because the little hanging loop was (is) broken, I'm gutted that I can't use it as its a tiny bit too small for me but, to a forum member, I could stomach £100 for it  O0  it's not going anywhere so no rush really

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:44:37, 10/09/19 »
As you wrote the words 'best value' I suggest like me you seriously look at buying a Champion long coat, I bought mine for £15. I used it a lot recently along the Two Moors Way in Devon and it kept me totally dry. The collar label says it's waterproof and breathable. It's certainly waterproof but how would any of us determine whether ANY jacket is 'breathable?' What does this word actually mean in REALITY? Having had 'expensive' jackets, a Paramo Alta 2 and a Marmot Precip for example I have no faith in the word whatsoever!

If you don't like the idea of a long coat (hem is halfway down your lower limbs) then get a pair of scissors and cut it off to your preferred bottom length. You can then use the waterproof trousers of your choice, or like me make yourself, or get someone else to make you a rain skirt. My wife's friend made one for me, it cost me £10 for the Silnylon and a bottle of wine for her.

I'd like to say I've found a better coat than my Champion one but I haven't as yet, I'm still looking. I'm hoping to find one made of Goretex or something similar but so far no luck.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:38:49, 10/09/19 »
I'll have a go, but of course I can only talk about those I've actually tried.  ;)

I walk briskly and so breathability is very important to me because I can sweat buckets in a jacket.

I tried several cheap Mountain Warehouse jackets and they were all extremely non-breathable or not at all waterproof (or both!).

As time has gone by, I've increased how much I'm willing to spend. I've got an OEX jacket (with underarm vents) that was cheapish, waterproof but not very breathable. I've got a Dare2B jacket that was cheapish, nearly waterproof but not breathable despite having side vents from near the waist to the elbows. Actually, I think vents are a sign that the jacket isn't at all breathable! I've got a Berghaus Hillwalker (I think that's the name), which is very waterproof and very hot (it has side vents!). I've got a Berghaus Paclite 2 jacket that I love because it's very light, waterproof and reasonably breathable...

...and I've recently bought a Rohan Vertex jacket which is fully waterproof and easily the coolest jacket I've had so far. It's brilliant, but expensive.

So, in my limited experience, I would say that having both waterproofness and breathability will be expensive. Having said that, I know that gunwharfman has another view on the subject...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:22:02, 10/09/19 »
One of the most expensive ways to buy gear (walking or photography) is to buy cheaply and then progressively buy slightly better / more expensive when expectations are not met. This doesn’t mean we have to buy the top of the range of most expensive items, but in the long run quality pays for itself (or itsdwarf).
« Last Edit: 22:06:02, 10/09/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:53:36, 10/09/19 »
One of the most expensive ways to buy gear (walking or photography) is too buy cheaply and then progressively buy slightly better / more expensive when expectations are not met. This doesn’t mean we have to buy the top of the range of most expensive items, but in the long run quality pays for itself (or itsdwarf).

I'll second that and it's what I did early on "just in case it's not for me" in the long run, it cost me the cheap PLUS the expensive. On a budget, my advice would be to bargain hunt, including second-hand  (and it's a good time of year for both  O0 )

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:47:11, 10/09/19 »
Where's archaeoroutes when you need him? I bet he'd have a good answer.

I'm happy with my Mountain Equipment Zeno which wasn't that expensive. For reasons unknown it started out a bit more breathable than it is today but it's still good. I've even jogged in it though it wasn't zipped up and it wasn't uncomfortable.

But as wiser heads than mine have said, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 10:51:33, 11/09/19 »
From the OP I think we're talking value, not just cheap.
I'd say the marmot precip gets a lot of praise, but I have no experience of it myself.
To me berghaus provide decent gear at a reasonable price and good availability. I got the arran jacket and it's been good so far. Its always better to have some sort of lining which keeps your body away from the outer layer and prevents a bit of the condensation. In mine it's a net lining. I also have a cheap packaway jacket from decathlon for summer/spring showers.

You can get a gtx jacket or equivalent with a lining for around £100 or a bit more. I'd say that represents good value for a general waterproof walking jacket. More than that is up to you, maybe you need something better for winter mountain hiking or something less because you only do fair weather rambling. Weigh it up according to what you do.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:01:36, 11/09/19 »
For fleeces, sleeping bags, even boots (as long as they fit), I'll penny pinch, but a good waterproof breathable jacket is one thing that I am prepared to pay decent money for - money wells pent when you are caught out in foul weather on the hill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:22:46, 11/09/19 »
Just a thought, if you're on Facebook There's a group called "outdoor gear exchange UK" there's been quite a few jackets up for sale just lately  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:31:40, 11/09/19 »
Just been for a blustery wet 4 mile walk around Mull Head in Orkney - reinforced my view that money spent on decent waterproof gear is money well spent - my combo of Mountain Equipment 'Lhotse' jacket and Berghaus 'Deluge' overtrousers didn't let in a drop.

Wish that I could say the same for my lightweight boots that are nearing the end of their life.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Matt010791

« Reply #13 on: 22:13:47, 11/09/19 »
I always live by the saying buy nice or buy twice, sometimes it’s worth paying that little bit more. On the other hand who doesn’t like a bargain!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:24:55, 11/09/19 »
I can't afford expensive branded gear which must explain why everyone walks way ahead of me in group walks.  Obviously I respect this and make no attempt to catch them up, which, in any case, would render me even hotter and sweatier in my boil-in-the bag Regatta  ;)   :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy