Author Topic: Solar Panel - Battery Charging  (Read 707 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Solar Panel - Battery Charging
« on: 07:24:55, 05/03/19 »

Due to the 'low Sun' Winter time is not a particularly good time for Solar Electricity production but I was surprised at my results recently.

It was a misty morning, but forecast to improve to be a reasonably sunny day.

I connected my Voltmeter & Ammeter in line and was showing a healthy 5.1v

At 08:30 (still misty, Sun just a dull glow in the sky) I connected up my Headlight.
It was at approximately 50% charge after 1.5 hours use the previous night.
The ammeter was showing 0.5 amp for much of the time, dropping down to zero as it became fully charged.

At 10:30 the headlight was fully charged, so, I connected my Garmin watch, which was at 35% charge.

By 13:00 the watch was at full charge.

I must admit to being pleasantly surprised and I think this would fairly easily keep the batteries for my electronics (GPS, Watch, Radio, Headlight, Torch, Tent light &Power Bank) topped up.

Solar Panel :

• Brand : SAVFY
  • Charging port output: 5V/1A(max)
  • Power: 7 Watts
  • Solar panel: 2 pcs in one case.
  • Opened Size: 330mm X 155mm
  • Closed size 165mm x 155mm

• Actual output :
    Output 2.11AH (10.98Wh) over 6 hours.
    Weight = 220g
    23.8mWh / cm2
    Panel Dimensions = 461 cm2

• Owen

• Veteran Member
    Re: Solar Panel - Battery Charging
    « Reply #1 on: 12:42:39, 05/03/19 »
    I use mine to keep my tracker, phone/GPS, kindle and camera batteries topped up. Even in Scotland and Lapland it works perfectly.

It works best when set up at a static location, I've seen people with them hanging off their backpacks trying to charge things as they walk along. In reality this doesn't work as the panel isn't pointing at the sun for long enough because it's swinging about so much.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #2 on: 15:10:14, 05/03/19 »
    I use mine to keep my tracker, phone/GPS, kindle and camera batteries topped up. Even in Scotland and Lapland it works perfectly.

It works best when set up at a static location, I've seen people with them hanging off their backpacks trying to charge things as they walk along. In reality this doesn't work as the panel isn't pointing at the sun for long enough because it's swinging about so much.

(Some) technology is wonderful, amazing and of great help a £7 solar panel saves a fortune in batteries !!!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #3 on: 16:14:40, 05/03/19 »

I use mine exactly as described and find it does work.  I have 14w charger that I use to charge a battery bank. I sometimes use it to top up my phone direct when I'm having a break. Never had a problem,.  I have never given a thought to the fact that it may not work to maximum efficiency, but as long as it does enough for me then I'm happy. I've never thought to test just how bad the efficiency is, nor do I intend to.
    Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #4 on: 16:39:19, 05/03/19 »
    I have never given a thought to the fact that it may not work to maximum efficiency, but as long as it does enough for me then I'm happy.

If it charges up every day everything that needs charging up, that's all that matters - it doesn't matter if it takes 2 hours, 4 hours or 6 hours,

It is charged 'free of charge' and doesn't require much in the way of effort so win-win !!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy