Author Topic: Bivi bag help  (Read 4437 times)

titaniumdude

Bivi bag help
« on: 21:02:47, 09/05/07 »
Recently got myself a gore tex bivi bag from an army surplus seller.  The bag was brand new and still sealed in it's original packet so no problems there as its in perfect condition.  Thing is these army bivi bags are extremely minimalist (which is kind of a good thing) and I want to use this as a shelter on it's own for one or two night summer(ish) trips.  Now someone tells me that although the thing is waterproof you can get water forced through from the ground due to the pressure of your body weight on a wet surface for a prolonged period.  So I thought I could put a sleeping mat on the outside and problem solved, but then it occurred to me that it would be easy to partially or wholly roll off the thing whilst sleeping.  So I thought I could attach some loops at strategic points to the bag, sink some eyelets in the mat and peg them together in camp.

Here lies my problem.  How do I attach the loops?  Is there a glue that is suitable and powerful enough for the job.  I'd rather avoid stitching as I'm useless at it.  I thought about velcro, but the self adhesive stuff is probably not up to the job and so the problem of a suitable glue still exists. 

So anybody any experience of this kind of thing or have any genius ideas?

Much appreciated,TD
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summerfield

Re: Bivi bag help
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:31, 09/05/07 »
might sound a bit obvious but have you considered putting the mat inside the bivi . if it is cut to the size of the bag you are unlikely to slid off of it. My bivi has its own hoop and can be pegged down. if you need to glue something then would try one of the DIY silicon sealants . you can buy special glue for sealing seams but think this is rather expensive or try one of the rubber glues for mending cycle tyres.
Michael :)
support mountain rescue - get lost

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 12:31:35, 10/05/07 »
Cheers Summerfield.  Yep I considered this and think it is a perfect idea when in a bothy or shelter.  It was just a nugget of doubt sown by a mate of mine who has used one of these and reckons that you get water ingress from the base (seeing as there is no integral groundsheet as on the commercial ones) in very wet weather. 

Maybe I just need to get out there and find out for myself.  I have some seam sealant left over from resealing my old tent, though rubber gluesounds like a good idea since I suppose it would just peal off again if I botched it.  Any other thoughts.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

solo backpacker

« Reply #3 on: 13:40:08, 10/05/07 »
titanium dude - just got round to finally answering your question about this in a previous topic (sorry i missed it for so long)

i've never had a problem with seepage through the bottom of mine, i've spent several pretty wet nights lying directly on the ground with it (leafy, needles and mud) in the lakes and galloway forest. you will find it a problem staying on your mat, even when its inside (they bags are pretty big). that said, i deff think inside is better than out. i've heard some people go so far as to put the mat in their sleeping bag but i've never got that far. pick your spot well and you shouldn't roll too much.

i also toyed with the idea of attaching loops to hold the mat in place but never really came up with a decent way of doing it.

you could always just take a lightweight plastic survival bag and lie on top of that to prevent seepage.

also, if your thinking about going without the sleeping bag then i'd suggest investing in a silk liner - will make it much more comfy and add a few degrees heat.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 15:26:27, 10/05/07 »
Cheers for this.  I posted this same question elsewhere and the general feeling is that my mate is being a bit paranoid telling me I may get leakage at the base.  I think what I'll do is pick a wet weekend to test it in the peak district on a wild camp.  Theres some nice woods near Hathersage that have been beckoning to me for some time.  Thermarest on the inside it is then and I'll report back once I've tested it.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:44:35, 11/05/07 »
Hi Titaniumdude

I see your making use of all this ex mil stuff about  ;)

When i use my bivy, i just throw my thermarest inside as you have said, the only problem i get sometimes from damp is from my own body, with the heat inside, to much heat not enough evaparation?

Its never been too much of a problem though. There a company near Holyhead, cant think of theee name at present, something sail i think, anyway its where the people go who make your bivys and kit buy some of there material from, they will be able to help you.

Also as you have said, i always think the best way is to test your kit yourself, as we are all different  ;D.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy