Author Topic: TR Day 3 of a 3 day trip from Troutbeck to Staveley Mon 9 Jul 18  (Read 1491 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got up before 6am on our last day. The temperature had dropped overnight and it was colder than we were used to of late eating our breakfast. As soon as the sun came out we were baking again! We were packed and away by 7.30, we wanted to catch the 11.52 555 from Staveley, we had a long journey before we got home.

The MSR and Beefy on Grey Crag

Close up of Tarn Crag

We'd kept our jackets on when we left Grey Crag, it was cool outside the tent in the wind. As soon as we got off the summit we were down to one layer.

On the way down to Sadgill, Longsleddale is the valley

This is also Longsleddale but looking northward

We were sweating buckets, the heat was stifling. No wind and we had been in the shade for a while.

Looking back up the steep gully.

In the AW guide it is described as "easy". It is on ascent, not so easy descending it!

Sadgill

We were going up the pass to Kentmere for a short while but turning off it to go over Cocklaw Fell and Green Quarter Fell.

Looking back at Tarn Crag and Grey Crag

Looking back at Tarn Crag and Grey Crag

Shipman Knotts left and Tarn Crag right, Longsleddale is the valley

Once over Green Quarter Fell we saw Skeggles Water and the first people we'd seen since the couple in the distance on Grey Crag the day before. We thought they were DofE people. They were nice, friendly and they looked like they were enjoying the experience. We stopped for a brew and some food when we got to Birk Rigg. A group of the possible DofE people passed us and an adult with them apologised to us if they were spoiling things for us! "Not at all" Beefy said. We know we can be grumpy and don't like noisy people or people who hog the summits but we have no problem with what we call normal people  ;)

Sallows, Yoke and Ill Bell from Birk Rigg

We said hello to some bikers who were on the way up, looking very hot and struggling with the climb up. It was so hot we were struggling going down.

On the way to Park House

We were surprised there was some more ascent here, we had expected it to be all downhill!

I think this is Reston Scar from Hall Lane

I think this is Hugill Fell from Hall Lane

We had walked fast down the lane, we did want to catch the bus at 11.52. As usual we got to the bus stop too early and had half an hour to wait. We got back home after 2 more buses, 4 hours later. Day 3 was Grey Crag - Sadgill - Green Quarter Fell - Park House - Staveley. 12.9km with 229m of ascent and 765m of descent. 3 and a half hours walking time. What a great few days, I can't wait for the next one.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Excellent  pics and write up O0

Tremendous weekend of fun and adventure[/font][/size]Hard work at times but was worth it, 3  days walking and 2 great wild camps,
Happy days :) Fancy a wc this weekend   8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Even more lovely photos April.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Happy days :) Fancy a wc this weekend 8)

What a good idea, we might get a bit wet but at least it might be easier to get water  :D

Thanks Ridge  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Lovely lovely and lovely again.  O0
I know the heat makes for hard walking and finding water can be a problem but the last few weeks have seen the best weather for many years ;)
Please remember that "a Karl route" is a registered trade mark and consequently you owe me £500.  ;D
BTW " Karl route" has made it into the OED- " Karl route, a direct route between summits, usually resulting in wet feet or in extreme cases certain death"  :D

April

• Veteran Member
Please remember that "a Karl route" is a registered trade mark and consequently you owe me £500

:o Terribly sorry  :o

You still owe us for the gas mind, so I think we can call it quits  ;)

BTW " Karl route" has made it into the OED- " Karl route, a direct route between summits, usually resulting in wet feet or in extreme cases certain death"  :D

;D  ;D  O0
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Great end to a lovely trip. Well done April & Beefy even if you did find difficulty with the water supply.  O0

Regards Keith

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Wonderful photos from the three days April    :)    Must have been quite an adventure

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Excellent, glad you both had a great time O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
The perfect way to spend a few days.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Just read all three TRs April - great stuff - Selside, Branstree, Grey Crag and Tarn Crag are on my Claggwrights List - nice to know there is a view for when I revisit.  Looks a great three days and wasn't it quiet on Saturday with the football on - I made an early start in the Carneddau - walked 15 miles and saw five people all day and was still home to watch the game.

Ridge - hope you have a great time and that the weather stays kind.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
As PDSTSP says - 3 great TRs! How do you come up with your routes?

Definitely the time to do some of those notoriously buggy routes, me thinks. hope the weather holds for next weekend when I should be there...

Claggwrights - what a great term!! There are a few on my list - most notably Bowfell (2 misty ascents) and Hard Knott - tbh it was really horizontal rain that soaked me in about 5 minutes - but there was most definitely NO VIEW!

April

• Veteran Member
Well done April & Beefy even if you did find difficulty with the water supply.  O0

We might get a little rain in the next few days, we do need it but why can't it rain at night?  ;)

Thanks Dovegirl, Richard and sunnydale  :)

wasn't it quiet on Saturday with the football on

This Sunday might be a bit more populated  :(

How do you come up with your routes?

Thanks Sarah  O0  We are trying to get to places we haven't been to for a while and as we don't have a car and use public transport the bus routes dictate where we start and finish. As we had 3 days we wanted to go to Kentmere because there are no buses up the Kentmere valley so it is a bit of a walk to get there from a bus stop.  We wanted to fit in the other fells around that are difficult to reach too so I spent a few hours looking at the OS maps plotting the routes. I sometimes use memory map but my preferred method is a bit of string with mile markers on measuring the mileage on a paper map. Although things would be easier having a car, not having one gives you more options sometimes, you don't have to return to where you started.

Claggwrights - what a great term!!

Beefy has quite a few Claggwrights to do again too  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Cannot believe u arent on aspirin all the time for headache, hot hiking does that to me. So does alcohol.
I cringe just reading your reports!!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o
Sounds a right adventure  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
What a wonderful morning to wake up to... I can't pick a favourite photo, there's so many cracking shots.  O0  Looks like a fitting end to an epic long weekend in the hills - have really enjoyed all the write-ups.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy