Author Topic: aggressive cows  (Read 3604 times)

Toxicbunny

aggressive cows
« on: 23:19:52, 02/07/18 »
Hi,
A quick query. A local walk I go on has now got cows with calves on. Not only I but other walkers have reported that its inaccessible due to these cows. They chase you, even if you think you can make it across the field walking calming doing everything as per the countryside code.  I reported it and I'm not the only one too. It was reported to the council Row officer. The gist of the answer was that cows with calves are dangerous  ::) and it was a hazard perhaps we should avoid. To me its the wrong answer. It is a public right of way there on the maps and it is to access a local wood. The only other route is to walk along a dangerous main road with no footpath a long route round. Is there any higher authority that I can take this to above the council.  All we are asking is that the farmer controls his cows ( he has lots of fields and is quite able to keep them in another)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: aggressive cows
« Reply #1 on: 23:41:32, 02/07/18 »
While I understand your concern the farmer is within his rights to keep his cows and calves there.  Equally you may deviate from the ROW to avoid them.
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:40, 03/07/18 »
you may deviate from the ROW to avoid them.

Really? While the subject of cattle has often been discussed on here before, that is new to me. Most of us probably do just that, but are you saying it is legal? What is your source please?

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 08:51:28, 03/07/18 »
While I understand your concern the farmer is within his rights to keep his cows and calves there.  Equally you may deviate from the ROW to avoid them.

hi could you tell me or point me to the article in the law that states this.  I appreciate that a farmer is in his rights to keep cattle there however it is a Public Right or Way  that's been there many many years. Sometime I feel landowners do this to stop walkers.

Lowlander

« Reply #4 on: 10:18:10, 03/07/18 »
Although I am sure there are a few farmers who find it funny seeing some city dwellers run in fear, I don't think it's a deliberate placing of obstacles. Walking routes often go through the easiest accessible fields. Also easiest for a farmer to get his mums and babies. Same goes for the sheep with lambs. They keep them close and accessible. In April I had to jump a fence too for a herd of protective cow-mums. Haha, it was more than adventurous. I made sure I didn't jump into another field with trouble of course. Outside Carlisle I walked through a field with a sign saying 'Caution: Bull in field!'. I walked close to the fence so I could jump over with my backpack and everything. Nothing happened. Wonder who farmed there?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:25:02, 03/07/18 »
When I get the chance I'm going to see if my 130db personal alarm helps me if cattle get too close? Yes, cows can be a right nuisance and dangerous as well. They can move fast as well! I've experienced a charge before and taken a biff in the chest, she knocked me completely off my feet. After reading Robert Louise Stevenson's 'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevenne' perhaps it might be useful for me to make a 'goad' for myself?

I have met people before who carry horse riding whips, simple and light, for rogue cows, dogs, pigs and so on.

Having walked a lot in France I have always been grateful that except for the odd occasion, cows and humans seem to be often separated by fences or electric lines, which makes for comfortable hiking.

My routine if bothered by charging cows, is to immediately drop my rucksack to the floor and leg it to a safe place, then wait awhile until they wander off, they always do. When clear I just wander back to collect.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #6 on: 11:54:02, 03/07/18 »
I've walked cow fields  bullock fields and a field with a bull with no issue. These cows are pure Evil. The farmer knows it.  There has been lots of complaints.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:22:35, 03/07/18 »
While I understand your concern the farmer is within his rights to keep his cows and calves there. 

Is he?

I think that's at least debate-able. It would surely depend on factors such as breed (is breed known to be aggressive) and actual incident reports.

If there is report after report of incidents, I can't see how farmer can avoid responsibility to isolate specific agressive cows and move them away from fields where a ROW exists.

If he fails to do that he would have no effective defence if something went badly wrong, and he was sued for damages.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:35:12, 03/07/18 »
I've walked cow fields  bullock fields and a field with a bull with no issue. These cows are pure Evil. The farmer knows it.  There has been lots of complaints.

Going back to original question of "is there a higher authority than Council ROW officer...I'm not sure. (Only time I got involved in a similar case ROW was very helpful, and amicably resolved issue with farmer...but ROW officers vary enormously.)

But would assume there are two obvious possibilities. One would be reporting case to police. The second would be to contact one of the local elected councillors.

Both approaches would have probable advantage of letting farmer know that problem is well documented and logged...bringing it home that if anything went badly wrong he couldn't play the "I knew nothing" card.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:21:33, 03/07/18 »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:56:06, 03/07/18 »
Ive never come across an aggreseive cow or bull in a field Ive walked through in over 61 years of long distance, country, fell and mountain walking.
I believe most problems arrise through the actions and nervousness of some walkers and how they manage when accompanied by a dog.
I ignore the beasts and never ever eyeball them, give them and their young wide berth and in general let them know thast i am not a threat and not interested in them.
Of course at times you have to be assertive when they are herded together at a stile or gate or young bullocks run alongside and behind you, but showing them in those circumstances that you in charge with a confident shout not directed at anyone of them in particular, gets them moving to allow you to pass.
People who end up getting stamped and trampled upon, even experienced farmers, have in my opinion made a bad mistake, either ending up in the wrong position or having beaheved as to be seen as a threat to the animal or its young.
That's my thoughts anyway.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:02:27, 03/07/18 »
Cows are used to being handled by humans, especially milkers which all these calving ones will be soon. Mainly they get used to humans bringing them food, as do sheep, which is why they frequently make a run towards you, they don't realise you haven't got anything for them.
Trouble is they are big, heavy and their brakes are not all that good. If you are nervous around them, or just plain nut happy with them then avoiding them is the better part of valour.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:24:30, 03/07/18 »
Really? While the subject of cattle has often been discussed on here before, that is new to me. Most of us probably do just that, but are you saying it is legal? What is your source please?

You can deviate from a ROW to get around any obstacle so if you feel cows are being aggressive then they are indeed an obstacle. 
Where there's a will ...

Toxicbunny

« Reply #13 on: 21:16:50, 03/07/18 »

You can deviate from a ROW to get around any obstacle so if you feel cows are being aggressive then they are indeed an obstacle.
Hi,
can you tell me where this is in law as I don't want to be in trouble for trespassing.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #14 on: 21:27:40, 03/07/18 »
Ive never come across an aggreseive cow or bull in a field Ive walked through in over 61 years of long distance, country, fell and mountain walking.
I believe most problems arrise through the actions and nervousness of some walkers and how they manage when accompanied by a dog.
I've walked all my life and been on many farms some cows are aggressive dog or not. These cows have chased walkers without a dog. They chased me with a dog. Cows in general are nosey but a field with them running towards you in a herd is dangerous no matter how many years experience walking. I've been told it is a hazard to cross the public right of way because of the cows which I don't think it is fair. This is my local walk. I could reach my destination by car which is not an option or walk on a very busy road with no footpath facing 60mph traffic alternately  I could take the public right of way that has been there decades but recently Mr Farmer but a herd of cows in there. I don't think its fair that a lot of complaints have been made to the council yet we are told as walkers not to walk it. Hence why I asked for advice as the council ROW seems useless. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy