Author Topic: use of tent outer only  (Read 2383 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
use of tent outer only
« on: 10:54:43, 30/12/17 »
Her is a question I have been thinking about for a while.

Do any of you use only the tent outer and leave the inner at home?

The more I think about it the more I am tempted to do it. Not a huge difference between this and using a decent tarp ( without of course the need to buy an actual tarp

A requirement would be a decent groundsheet of course but that would mean a reasonable weight save versus an inner plus bathtub groundsheet.

The other problem would be the fixing of the tent poles but I am sure I can overcome that problem easily enough by adapting the groundsheet solution.

Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: use of tent outer only
« Reply #1 on: 12:01:01, 30/12/17 »
 I don't know what tent model you're thinking of but with my previous Ultimate Tramp you pitched the fly and then added the inner with a couple of hooks and six pegs, and while I pitch inner and outer as one with my current Zephyros the inner is completely removable, if a bit fiddly. In both of these examples the fly stands on poles without the inner.

If you're going to substitute the inner with a groundsheet I imagine any weight saving would be negligible, in which case you might just as well have the benefit(s) of the inner.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:39:10, 30/12/17 »
I can do this with both my tents. I have a proper footprint for my Marmot Pulsar 1 and the poles just slot into place natuarally, takes just a few minutes to erect. The inner (mostly mesh) is so light I have only used it, with the outer-only just a couple of times. For my Zephyros 1 I just take out the inner tent and lay my large groundsheet over the connecting tape between the two ends of the poles. I have used the outer-only a few times and it works well, but I have to be careful where I pitch if it rains. I've often thought of turning turning my groundsheet into a 'bath' for such occasions but have never got around to it. Normally I just make a bodge at the time to keep the rain out of my resting area. I even once planned to sew a 6" strip all along the lower outer edge but again I just never did it. If I plan a long day hike I will normally take my Zephyros outer-only, plus poles, just in case the weather turns nasty, (not heavy) when I get fed up with just plodding along in the rain or just fancy an afternoon nap. Without the inner tent the Zephyros 1 is pretty big and I think the better for it.

I bought a tarp but it is never as good as using the Zephyros as one. My motivation for using the Zephyros in this way is because I dislike the inner, like sleeping in a tomb!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:46:46, 30/12/17 »
I have done this a few times when camping in places that are dryer than the UK but not here, it's not much fun in midge season either. I could do it with all my tents but in general it's just not worth the effort.

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:52:42, 30/12/17 »
I have a 10 year old Terra Nova 1 man tent weight 1.2kg.
I can have it up and be under cover in about 1 minute.  O0

Jon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:44:00, 30/12/17 »
GWM plenty in that reply to get my brain ticking. Fernman I sort of agree but that won't stop me experimenting. Owen at least you thought of it also and have tried it.RBW you don't say whether you have tried it or not? One minute? for a whole tent, in the pouring rain?  Jeux sans Frontieres clearly missed out on you.

GWM I have been reading up on ultra light ground sheets and am tempted to experiment with shrink-wrap.  Even with a bit of gorilla tape to make into bathtub the weight is so light as to be worthwhile carrying a couple, if I do it
They sell it in diy stores as secondary double glazing in v. Large sheets which can of course be cut to size. They are keen on it on US hiking sites.

Will weigh everything next week when I get back from up here in Northumberland. The coast is spectacular and the weather is as good as it has ever been for the time of year.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:06:47, 30/12/17 »
Hello,
We used an elderly Field and Trek tent that was a copy of a better quality one....I think.  Anyway since it was sloping Ridge type with an A-pole and a shorter rear pole the amount of space was limited for two when having two rucksacks inside etc.
We used it on a trip along the Corsican GR20 route and apart from a bit of dust getting into the space it worked reasonably well.  Not much comfort is using in Scotland with the climate and in summer the huge midge problem....but then we tend to use the network of Bothies for shelter.
Since that  opening trip to Corse we have now a fine Saunders Spacepacker single pole tent for our subsequent trips to the island and for use on the GR55 and the trip this summer to the Mercantour.....ideal tent with space for all the kit with the zip system at both ends and no need to leaving the inner tent behind now with the light weight of the combined package.
I don't know what we will  do to replace this tent now since then shelter is ten years old and after the death of Mr. Saunders and the closing down of the his Company.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:02:09, 02/01/18 »
This thread has made me think about my 'old' Zepyphos One in a new light.

I bought a tarp, just couldn't vmake it work for me. I have a Zepyphos One but as a tent, although its good and does the job I have never been comfortable with it.

Disconnecting the inner tent and using the outer only does work and for me it overcomes the deficiences of my Tarp.

My latest thinking is, but I havn't tried it out yet, to secure the poles and create the hoop and to erect one end only, leaving the other end open. This would then act like my tarp and I could use my hunka as a Bivvy. Depending on the weather I could then leave the end open or close it completely when the need arises.

I'm going to play around with the layout later to see if I can be more creative with it and adapt it to what I would like. We'll see.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:16:30, 02/01/18 »
GWM yep that is kinda what I was thinking of. I own a real cheap tent which Mrs Jimbob fettled for me. Fabsil has made it very waterproof. But it us not ultra light. I had been considering  tarps when I happened upon an ancient thread on a USA forum which was making use of an old tent outer as a tarp.  I then thought why not just use the outer.  Will be experimenting when I get back home from my festivities here on the Northumbrians coast. I am planning a walk from North  Shields to Berwick which will use most of the Northumberland coastal path so for the next couple of days am walking around Blyth up to Newbiggin by the sea as no official path exists there and there are a couple of rivers to cross. So a bit of scouting is the order of the day mostly on urban paths.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:12:48, 02/01/18 »
When I read subjects like this I realise that there might be all sorts of ways to deviate from the 'central way' of doing things. A tent is a tent and a tarp is a Tarp and never the twain shall meet for some people. When discussing options and variations it can start to sound a bit like the term Brexit is Brexit!

It raises questions in my mind about the best way, for example of how to keep dry, how to sleep and how to keep clean. We could all follow the 'central way', for example, traditional mattress and sleeping bag, or waterproof jacket and leggings or just using showers on a site.

There are other ways to look at the subject areas, mattress and quilt, poncho and rain skirt, carrying your own shower with you instantly springs to mind.

Sometimers it makes my brain hurt trying to get to personal perfection.

landy87

« Reply #10 on: 12:45:03, 02/01/18 »
i did this with a hex peak

got a north ridge col lite im going to try that with

benefits i see are

1 lots of room to cook in
2 simpler to erect
3dont have to worry about seperating inner when wet

no real weight saving  though once you add bivi and or ground sheet

Grrrr

« Reply #11 on: 02:31:05, 03/01/18 »
In the states the philosophy is hike your own hike.  There is no right or wrong way.  If it works for you it works.  For the last few years on the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail I have used, a tarp, a hammock, and my favorite a Henry Shires Tarptent.  It can be used without the inner but is so lite I hesitate to give up the bathtub floor.  The "Notch" is a solo tent weighting .77 kg.  It uses my trekking poles to set up.  This fulfills another requirement that everything I carry must be able to be used for more than one task.  It is enough rm for me, and my gear.  I would never cook near it.  It will set up dry in the rain as apposed to those that need to set the inner first then the storm fly.   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:19:45, 03/01/18 »
Re: Grrr. May I ask which Tarptent you use. I have been thinking of buying the Rainbow, not the Tarptent version, but the Chinese version of it made by Naturehike.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:17:50, 03/01/18 »
Loads of times. Indeed, on my ML assessment I only took the outer of my old two-pole cheese-shaped tent to save weight and pack size.
Now with modern geodesic tents with waterproof fabrics, it's even nicer to do.

One warning - it can lead to midges rising out of the grass and getting trapped in your ten with you!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy