Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576739 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2220 on: 20:03:38, 12/08/17 »
Staying in Wiltshire for a few days. Lovely walk today, hope the weather is as good tomorrow.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2221 on: 20:32:44, 12/08/17 »
I walked from West Wittering to Chichester today.  A fabulous walk, with sand dunes and vast sandy beaches, then one of the creeks of Chichester Harbour with boats on the water and woodland coming down to the shore, and the picturesque quayside village of West Itchenor and idyllic Dell Quay.  Chichester Harbour is so beautiful and is one of my favourite places to walk    :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2222 on: 18:24:31, 16/08/17 »
After seeing some lovely pictures of heather in the "Best Pic of the Day" topic, I'm heading up to the North Yorks. Moors to fill my senses with purple loveliness  :)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2223 on: 19:39:59, 16/08/17 »
After seeing some lovely pictures of heather in the "Best Pic of the Day" topic, I'm heading up to the North Yorks. Moors to fill my senses with purple loveliness  :)

We headed across to Whitby from Leeds on Sunday via the A64/A169, some lovely views to be had and swathes of purple heather to be seen, Enjoy Mel, we did.  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2224 on: 18:52:29, 17/08/17 »
Ooohh, that's good to hear Bhod, cheers for that  O0

.... is it weekend yet?  :D

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2225 on: 17:52:21, 18/08/17 »
Sunday will see me driving to Leeds to go look at a pop top caravan with a view to purchasing one  ::) instead of -   [strike]walking the full 26 miles around Kielder water.  I did it last year whilst preparing for the Lyke Wake Walk and will take the opportunity to do it again this year as one of my final walks in preparation for another Lyke Wake Walk in September.  Tempted to go around clockwise this time, North Shore then South rather than last years route of South then North anti clockwise.  For those that have never been it's a fantastic walk, good network of paths, some interesting artwork along the way, some lovely scenery and the South bank especially is nice and tranquil.[/strike]
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2226 on: 21:05:26, 19/08/17 »
I walked from Selsey to Pagham today, a wonderful walk on the Sussex coast, taking in Pagham Harbour, which is an area of creeks and marshes, and Pagham Beach. The beach is shingle but the tide was a long way out and there were patches of sand, and the scene was one of ethereal beauty. 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2227 on: 22:47:03, 19/08/17 »
We had a central London walk today, never too far away from coffee and cake which is an important consideration for Mr R.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2228 on: 23:07:14, 20/08/17 »
Erm... coffee/tea and cake are a mandatory part of any walk Ridge  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2229 on: 15:55:08, 21/08/17 »
I did a circular walk on Friday from the Longshaw Estate along White Edge and then back across Big Moor and Flask Edge. The heather was just incredible, I've never experienced an expanse of it like the one by Flask Edge.

My dad was visiting Sat/Sun so we took him to Big Moor yesterday along an easy part of the route I did across Big Moor - up to the abandoned reservoir (which was full of heather) by Car Top and back, with a side trip to the stone circle and ring cairns, which was interesting. I spotted the circle on Friday but I hadn't realised there were more historic sites further up on the moor.

Image may contain: plant, sky, flower, cloud, outdoor and nature
On top of the dam at the disused reservoir.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water
"Inside" the reservoir.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, grass, mountain, tree, outdoor and nature
At one of the ring cairns on Big Moor.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2230 on: 16:08:13, 21/08/17 »
Nice one Adalard. Hopefully I'll be able to pop over to have a look before it all fades.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2231 on: 18:19:30, 21/08/17 »
Lovely photos adalard    :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2232 on: 19:49:40, 21/08/17 »
Lots of lovely photos of heather on the forum at the moment.
Thanks for posting yours adalard

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2233 on: 21:34:29, 21/08/17 »
Lovely photos Adalard. It looks like you were at Barbrook Reservoir. The heather's always nice around that area. O0

***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2234 on: 07:59:00, 22/08/17 »
Thanks, everyone.  :)

Lovely photos Adalard. It looks like you were at Barbrook Reservoir. The heather's always nice around that area. O0

Yes, it was Barbrook Reservoir, Sunnydale. A nice tranquil spot on a weekday - though it was surprisingly busy when I went back on Sunday.

Nice one Adalard. Hopefully I'll be able to pop over to have a look before it all fades.

It's definitely worth it, Penygadair. The heather between Barbrook Bridge and Flask Edge was the most impressive, probably because you're in the middle of a sea of it if you follow the narrow path up to the trig. But as Sunnydale says, the heather is lovely all around the eastern moors.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy