Author Topic: TR - Taft Point & Sentinel Dome  (Read 5524 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Taft Point & Sentinel Dome
« Reply #15 on: 13:35:39, 10/10/16 »

The steep face in shadow is the North West Face of Half Dome I know this because I spent 2 days climbing the direct route on there, thirty years later it still looks good.
« Last Edit: 07:57:00, 11/10/16 by midweekmountain »

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:33:24, 13/10/16 »
Fabulous Dave, I have always been drawn to Yosemite - at least since coming across Ansell Adams photos many years ago. This TR just adds to that lure.
I need to look into the Half-Dome history and understand how it came to be 'half' - presumably something so huge had to be created/caused by either glacial erosion or one heck of a land-slip.
Whatever the cause the result is just awe inspiring.
Thanks for posting this up   O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:18:07, 14/10/16 »
I stand to be corrected but I believe it was formed by glacial erosion, specifically undermining an existing fault on that side of Half Dome.

Thanks you all your comments - I did my best with the photos but it has to be seen to be really appreciated. Even then it is truly mind blowing scenery
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:06:58, 09/11/16 »
I found coming. .down the cable route more scary than going up, as you are facing out into a lot of space and relying on the friction from your gloves on the cable to stop you plunging head first into the void.  An iconic area, should be on every one's list for at least one visit in your lifetime.  I stayed in one of the tent cabins, not much protection against the bears that came scavenging round the camping area at night. I believe half the Dome was shunted away by a large glacier umpteen years ago.  Must have been an amazing sight.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:56:36, 09/11/16 »
Missed this one first time round Dave stunning photos this place is on my bucket list and if you want to give yourself some sweaty palms check out Alex Honnold's antics on El Capitain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy