Author Topic: Kinder Scout from Edale  (Read 1665 times)

Yorkshirewalker26

Kinder Scout from Edale
« on: 21:17:29, 13/06/17 »
Hey guys,

Looking to do a walk to Kinder Scout from Edale next Wednesday as its looking like nice weather.

Experienced walker but have never been up this way before, I've seen a few posts about it being very boggy at the top.

Any tips or route guides would be appreciated. (Got my map and compass)

Thanks in advance

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: Kinder Scout from Edale
« Reply #1 on: 08:19:06, 14/06/17 »
Which part are you thinking of walking?

If you're walking around the most popular southern and western parts of it (ranging from, say, Ringing Roger in the east to Kinder Low or even the Downfall in the west) the paths are decent enough, sometimes rocky and dry even.

It can be very peaty around the Woolpacks but if you descend slightly to the south to circumvent them it's usually okay underfoot.

If you venture into the middle of the plateau, it is boggy. We were in Castleton a few days ago and were surprised at the high water levels in the river, with a lot of run off from the hills above. I'd imagine the Kinder Plateau might be quite wet too at the moment, considering that.

It's a while since I walked the northern edge of Kinder (in case you're considering doing the complete circuit): the paths are less well-trodden than the Edale side and can be wet and muddy but I don't remember them being boggy.

There are a lot of great circular routes you can do from Edale.  O0

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #2 on: 15:22:46, 14/06/17 »
Thank you for your reply. Thinking of going up from Edale via Jacobs ladder. Staying away from the boggy areas if possible ha.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:51:53, 14/06/17 »
I think if you're sticking to the main paths you shouldn't have any trouble with bogs. There are plenty of options for getting back down to Edale.

Going over Brown Knoll and then down the Chapel Gate track is one option, that'll provide good views to the W and SW of the plateau. Or if you feel like a longer walk, you could extend this along Rushup Edge (instead of Chapel Gate) and head back down to Edale from the base of Mam Tor, you'd get good views of Hope Valley to the SE then.

Or you could circle round the other side of the Vale of Edale, past all the iconic rock formations (Noe Stool, Pym Chair, Woolpacks etc) and either descend relatively gently via Grindslow Knoll and Grindsbrook Booth into Edale - or, if you want something more rocky, come down Grindsbrook Clough. For me, at least, the latter is a more hands-on experience but I have short legs so I have recourse to my hands on bouldery ground more than longer-legged folk!  :)

Really there are tons of options, depending on what parts of Kinder you want to see. I'm sure other members here have favourite routes too.

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 19:07:27, 14/06/17 »
Hi YorkshireWalker26,

I'm really glad you posted this!!  I'm contemplating a walk around Kinder from Edale myself this weekend, so I would be pleased to hear your post-walk comments.  You have certainly had nice weather for a walk  :)

Some nice info Adalard - thank you.

Cheers
Lee

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:25:40, 14/06/17 »
It's a while since I walked the northern edge of Kinder (in case you're considering doing the complete circuit): the paths are less well-trodden than the Edale side and can be wet and muddy but I don't remember them being boggy.

Sadly the northern edges are now getting a bit bog tastic. Not as bad as some parts of the southern side or plateau but it's obvious they're seeing more footfall in places than before. That said it's still a lot quieter and still feels pleasingly remote (even though you aren't really).

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #6 on: 19:25:18, 18/06/17 »
Thanks for the replies! Might have to change it to a walk to Mam Tor instead, got a couple of inexperienced walkers with us and I think Kinder Scout might be a bit too much for them in the heat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy