Author Topic: Garrigil/river tyne/crossfell/ gregs hut circular walk  (Read 518 times)

Yorkshiremarv

Me and the wife are hoping to walk from garrigil upto the start of river tyne and then up trouts beck to cross fell and back down pennine way back to garrigil, has anyone had any experience of this area? Im mainly concerned about the path/track up trouts beck, im ok with mud mud and bog but the wife soon gets annoyed at me and fed up with a hard slog. Would it be better/easier to do this route in reverse? We are planning on a wild camp somewhere along trouts beck and looking at the wonder of google maps/ os maps it looks like there is a few decent flat ish spots along the way, is the ground dry enough or is it too wet/boggy? Doing this walk beginning of september. Any info would be greatly appreciated! O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

ninthace

• Veteran Member
It is a pleasant day trip. I went this way
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1609
The route up Troutbeck is a bit sketchy but the stream is a useful hand rail. I do not recall it being especially boggy, finding your way out of the Hushes near the top can be fun but keeping heading up will get you to the road to the Golf Ball. As for wild camping, it is certainly wild there, I was not looking for sites when I did it but I seem to recall the odd spot but it is not a good place to be in bad weather. The ridge is easy but you need a clear forecast in order to be able to enjoy the view.The walk back down the PW is hard on the body. There is a bothy (Greg's Hut) on the PW just after you gain the PW from Cross Fell.

Edit: Just looked at the trace date, can't believe is is 5 years since I did it. How time flies.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy