Author Topic: Two person tent recommendations  (Read 1304 times)

RubberSoul

Two person tent recommendations
« on: 21:14:27, 24/07/17 »
Hi folks, I'm looking for a two person tent. I've seen some that look ok, read the reviews and youtubed them. Just wondering if any of you have a decent recommendation? Here are my criteria:

-Weather protection/Waterproof (withstand a lot of rain)
-Durable materials (minimal chance of failure)
-Stability - and a good number of rope points.

I'm not too worried about the weight at this stage.

Any help appreciated. packed dimensions/weight would be useful to know.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Two person tent recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 11:25:59, 27/07/17 »
There are a lot of tents out there with a wide range in price especially if you're not worried about weight. What sort of price are you looking at?

Also do you want two people - two adults -  in it? Because most two man tents are tiny and you struggle to lay down two sleeping mats without them overlapping and so you need to know the other person pretty well. In which case you're really looking at 3 man tents for a lots of them.

Hilleberg tents have a well-justified, excellent reputation for tents that are weatherproof, durable, stable and roomy. So if you're OK paying their prices, then you'd do a lot worse than look there.

I've used a Wild Country Hoolie in a bit of wind and it seemed pretty strong and stable and reasonably well made and thought out. That's at the other end of the price range. I've seen lots of them out on the hills being used by DoE Award groups so I'd guess they think it's pretty strong too as they tend to go for basic but strong kit.

I'm guessing you're backpacking with it? But if you're not and it's just for the car or whatever then I've been out in a real stinker in a Decathlon pop-up tent. Amazing. The guys all pulled out due to the crap wire pegs but that made little difference because it's self supporting and elastic. As fat as I could tell, it pretty much cannot be blown away as long as you're in it! It just flattens out when it gusts and springs back. Other tents were blown away never to be seen again and other filled with water. I was bone dry.

RubberSoul

« Reply #2 on: 16:40:31, 27/07/17 »
Thank you, that is helpful and has made me rethink. I had shortlisted the following 2p tents
Robbens Kite £284
Vaude Mk L £225

I do need to get two adults in it, plus some gear so I think I'll have to step up to a 3p. Price wise can go up to around the £350 mark, maybe more if the build quality is awesome. Splitting the cost with someone so it won't hurt the wallet so much. The Hillbergs though are out of our price range for sure.

Use - Indeed a mixture of backpacking, driving to car parks and walking from there and then camping overnight and back again. Although this may extend into LDWs in the future. I'll check out the Hoolie. Trying to find a balance between price and quality as a priority. The weight we aren't overly concerned about as we can share the load, obviously the lighter the better but like I saym no too focussed on the grams. Kilos on the other hand!

MudMagnet

« Reply #3 on: 16:07:31, 07/08/17 »
Check out the alpkit range.  I have the Ordos 2, great piece of kit and very light.  They do a 3p version as well.  Buy the footprint though as well.

JerryW

« Reply #4 on: 20:21:14, 07/08/17 »
Terra Nova do some excellent tents including several 3-person tents in your price range (and some well above!)
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:38:03, 08/08/17 »
I've been reading about the Ordos 2 this afternoon, views seem to vary between great and a bit flimsy? No idea who to believe but I tend to trust views from people on the forum.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy