Author Topic: Wild Swimming Lake District  (Read 3652 times)

Requiem

• Veteran Member
Wild Swimming Lake District
« on: 16:45:18, 25/07/17 »
Any good wild swimming places folks can recommend? I've swum a lot of the main Lakes (love Ullswater and adore Ennerdale) but looking for places to walk up to now with a wetsuit and a pair of goggles

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Swimming Lake District
« Reply #1 on: 16:49:24, 25/07/17 »
I haven't done any wild swimming myself there - but plenty of people were swimming in Easdale Tarn, Grasmere on Sunday. There's a small rocky island to swim out to.

Also my son has been to Black Moss Pot, Langstrath - the fun is more jumping in combined with a small amount of swimming, then clambering out and doing it all again.

I'd imagine that many of the terms would be suitable  Sprinkling, Styhead, Angle etc etc and give you fab views.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:04:44, 25/07/17 »
Coniston east side around the islands, especially at night, is fun. Wastwater for the backdrop. Tarn Hows is pretty but too many people and it is not that deep.
Solvitur Ambulando

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:51:56, 25/07/17 »
Thanks both - I'll have a look at those later when my night shift quietens down a bit :-)

RedKMan

« Reply #4 on: 16:25:07, 01/10/17 »
Hi,

I saw a gentleman skinny dipping at around 13:00 in Goat's Water near Old Man of Coniston.  Even though it was t-shirt weather he only got to waist height and was in and out inside 3 minutes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:26:22, 01/10/17 »
I think it was last year. Prof. Alice Roberts did a whole programme on BBC about swimming in the Lake District. On you tube? She enjoys this pastime I believe.

jethro10

« Reply #6 on: 18:54:41, 02/10/17 »
We saw two ladies naked in Buttermere, south end, mid February. Water must have been very cold.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:31:56, 02/10/17 »
We saw two ladies naked in Buttermere, south end, mid February. Water must have been very cold.

I imagine there was a nip in the air

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:34:51, 02/10/17 »
GLYNO!!!!  :o   :o   :o

:D :D ;D ;D ;D :D    :2funny:

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:13:12, 02/10/17 »
I have just returned from a weekend in keswick. Camped on the edge of Derwentwater, Camping and Caravan site. Saw a couple trying to swim, they looked cold! On Sunday night, in my tent, a gale with heavy rain raged at and around me! The wind came directly off the lake, I first heard a low roar in the distance, which became louder and louder as each gust came towards me. The POW!, BANG! CRASH!, it pummeled and punched my tent, the poles flexed and twisted, the roof bounced around, one side flexed in on me and I was convinced I was going to end up like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ and would just get sucked up into the sky. The tent worked really well though, no damage at all. The storm went on and on like this until 4.00am, I was so glad when it became daylight! I didn't sleep a wink! Very exiting!

eddycreative

« Reply #10 on: 12:35:09, 06/10/17 »
Coniston East Side is pretty cool

Theo Frum

« Reply #11 on: 17:57:15, 07/10/17 »
The rock pools in the upper Esk above Brotherilkeld look inviting on a hot day, but they were always occupied whenever I went past. I've been in Low Water on COM, that was nippy.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:26:26, 07/10/17 »
Best places from a couple days ago were Crummock water with amazingly clear water, Ennerdale for the scenery and a quick dip in Small water Tarn on the way up to High Street. Despite the chill they're all really clean and sheltered.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:39:48, 08/10/17 »
Blimey, you must have thick skin.
Last year, i dipped my toes into loch Lomond, only for around 20sec, but i could feel the heat being sucked from my body.
I know the Scottish Lochs are savagely cold, but the Lakes in Cumbria, cannot be far behind.

Brass Monkey's thinking about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy