Author Topic: HUGE blister  (Read 3651 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: HUGE blister
« Reply #15 on: 16:35:14, 30/07/17 »
I know what contributors have said above but when I get a blister I always "pop" it, drain it, use an antiseptic wipe and then apply Compeed which I think is magic!  By not "popping" and releasing the pressure I used to find that it just continued to hurt and extend outwards.  I am not saying that you should do this but it works for me.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:50:46, 30/07/17 »
You're not alone.  It's how I would do it BUT you need to ensure you then prevent the skin from tearing, applying a compeed will do that as would applying tape  O0
Where there's a will ...

Decani

« Reply #17 on: 16:53:40, 30/07/17 »
Very interesting and useful responses, thanks to all!

I put a medium sized blisteze on yesterday morning. The area had not fully (by a long shot) healed from the previous problems. I am guilty of not letting it fall off naturally (both yesterday and previously). I ripped off a chunk of skin taking it off yesterday. Urghh!

I also have some athletes foot or something - I generally have cracked, flaky foot skin.

My socks are recently bought "SmartWool" things, and seem nicely snug, not loose and not tight.

1) I have a good pair of boots (10+ years old), but perhaps they are the wrong fit - it seems I shouldn't get blisters if they and the socks fit well.
2) Don't rip off the blisteze - let them fall off, otherwise I risk ripping skin off
3) They always lift at the edges (which is why I pull them off) prematurely - my boss suggested really warming them up (rubbing them in my hands) before applying them to increase the adhesion.
4) I don't want infections under them, so I need to clean the affected area with antiseptic wipes
5) Compeed sell packs of larger pads for under the foot, I will give them a try
6) Get serious about caring for my feet!
7) I need to carry on walking before doing part of the PW in a month - I need to get the miles in[/size]

Questions[/size]
1) Would you recommend using foot-balm to soften the skin (all of it not just affected area)?
2) Do Cotswolds (etc) give good enough advice on boot fitting - I don't want to spend a fortune on a pair of boots that aren't any better?

I've never had to worry about my feet as I've not done a serious LDP before - I've ignored my flaky skin/athletes foot for 30 years (initial treatments failed) - I need to get serious about looking after my feet!

Decani

« Reply #18 on: 16:56:20, 30/07/17 »
Oh, and more foot care lessons

1) Keep nails nice and trim, length and edges
2) Get rid (emery board I suppose) any burrs on the edges
3) Keep them dry and aired when poss.

What a pallaver!

Decani

« Reply #19 on: 17:13:37, 30/07/17 »
Sorry for the icky photo, and perhaps it's not rubbed raw  :D Any advice now?  :o

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:18:05, 30/07/17 »
Doesn't look too bad.  You may be ok simply taping it.
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:19:17, 30/07/17 »
 The blister dosen't look bad at all.Probably best to leave it well alone.

Bhod wrote
  TonyK -  pressure sores and blisters are two entirely different things, a pressure sore is as it says, caused by pressure, breaking down tissue leading to an ulceration of the skin, a blister is caused by friction, more akin to a burn, remedial treatments for both are different which is why you won't have heard of using hydrocolloidal patches in the treatment of extreme pressure sores.

Pressures sores are not always caused by pressure,especially those that never get beyond stage one or stage two.The name is a bit misleading as these wounds can be caused by friction,shearing and pressure.Venous ulcers,which can look almost the same as pressure sores,are even worse and I have known a couple of people who have had amputations due to these ulcers not healing and gangrene setting in.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:27:44, 30/07/17 »
Visit your local Chemist, and buy some Compeed Second Skin, or Compeed Blister plasters.
Compeed plasters have a special antiseptic fluid built into them, and placed over an existing blister, will keep the bacteria and such like away, allowing the blister to heal without any infection.

I used to keep a set in my bumbag, when out for long walks, and as soon as you felt slight rubbing or discomfort from poor fitting socks, on went the Compeed, and 99% of the time you remained blister free.

The fact you already have a nasty blister, requires some sort of protection from the bugs.

Get some Compeed, and you will be right as rain pretty quickly.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:15:07, 30/07/17 »
Visit your local Chemist, and buy some Compeed Second Skin, or Compeed Blister plasters.

I think you mean Spenco Second Skin.Good product but quite expensive.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:17:09, 30/07/17 »
Thanks for the reminder.
I might be wrong, but Compeed have a similar product, but the magnificent second skin product, is indeed sold by Spenco.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:46:25, 30/07/17 »
Oh Jeheezus, Decani, get to doctors and get that fungal infection sorted out  ;D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:05:55, 31/07/17 »
Once you get it sorted and have identified the 'hotspots' on your feet, in future tape those bits up with zinc oxide tape.  Works for me!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:05:27, 31/07/17 »
Once you get it sorted and have identified the 'hotspots' on your feet, in future tape those bits up with zinc oxide tape.  Works for me!
I agree, I always tape a couple of my toes and both heels before setting off.

Doddy

« Reply #28 on: 12:01:01, 01/08/17 »
I wouldn't put Compeed on raw skin or if you do be prepared to leave it till it falls off as the skin layer underneath will have regrown by then. Prevention is best-before walking I now use anti friction balm on toes and heels to good effect.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:25:55, 01/08/17 »
I now use a 50/50 mix of  olive oil and tea tree oil before I put my thin socks on which in turn go under my merino socks.  After a good days walking I reckon the smell could scare wolves two continents away. At least I don't get blisters or hard skin.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy