Author Topic: Southern cross?  (Read 866 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Southern cross?
« on: 20:15:31, 03/08/17 »
I might be looking for a new mountain tent and have seen this one advertised but never come across one in the flesh. Has anyone any experience of them, good or bad, any comments? 

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/southern-cross-1/

Stube

• Veteran Member
Re: Southern cross?
« Reply #1 on: 20:34:20, 03/08/17 »
I've seen one, but not used it.

It's essentially a TN Laser Comp with an external longitudinal pole with split ends (no end poles).
Fly is polyester rather than silnylon and the stakes are 9" v section. This explains the greater weight.
It pitches quickly all in one or fly first.

If you are close to Halifax, Springfield Camping of Luddenden Foot have them which is where I saw it. They are a TN prime supplier and their comment was when they saw the preview model, they expected it to be marketed under the Wild Country label.

I hope this helps

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:39:46, 05/08/17 »
Not near Halifax unfortunately. Why market it under Wild Country? Are their tents up or down market from TN ones? 

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:17:29, 07/08/17 »
Wild Country are the cheaper and heavier versions of the TN ones. They typically use polyester rather than silnylon.

The Southern Cross has a white inner tent - this is the colour of the WC Zephros, the TN Laser's  (all variants) inners are yellow.

There is little to choose between them as regards build quality. Hardly suprising since they're the same company. It's all a matter of weight and how much you're will to pay.

I like the southern cross - free-standing tents that pitch fly first are exceedingly rare. It's just rather heavier than I would like for standard use, and I only need the free-standing capability once or twice a year.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:28:51, 08/08/17 »
. It's just rather heavier than I would like for standard use,

I first looked at it because it looks like a similar but lighter design to the Hilleberg Soulo, which is 2.5kg. For the same weight and only £20 more I could get a Nallo which is a two person tent. Just can't bring myself to fork out nearly £700 for a small tent.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy