Author Topic: Get your kit out  (Read 1162 times)

Lemmy

Get your kit out
« on: 18:18:07, 14/12/17 »
Surprised no one has stared this already.  Show us your kit, preferably neatly laid out, and tell us all about it.  Apart from being interesting, it would be useful guidance to newbies like me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Get your kit out
« Reply #1 on: 18:56:20, 14/12/17 »
I'd love to but I've never learned the art of putting up a photo on the Forum.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:24:55, 14/12/17 »
I daren't.  You'd all end up with a migraine at my lack of colour co-ordination  ;D

In a nutshell though:

Waterproof Jacket & Legs = cheap Regatta boil in the bag outer shell which are scrunched up in a ball in my rucksack most of the time
Windproof = cheap flimsy running jacket
Winter Duvet Jacket = Hawkshead Advantage - old as the hills, can't find a comparable replacement
Mid layers/Insulation = various cheap fleeces ranging from thin summer fleeces to thick snuggly winter fleeces
Base layers = cheap things usually from Aldi or Sports Direct.  Long and short sleeved
Thermals = cheap things from Sports Direct
Gloves = Rab neoprene windproof water resistant and fluffy on the inside (bought cheap as apparently having one grippy pad thing missing is worthy of a massive discount - yay!)
Hat = rarely wear one but if I do it's a peaked baseball cap I got free from work that I wear ONLY if it's raining and I need to keep the hood of my cheap jacket from covering my eyes
Scarf = none
Socks = various dedicated sports/walking socks when Aldi get them in
Footwear = cheap Gelert boots but I prefer my Meindl walking shoes even in winter nowadays
Boobie-holders and bloomers - just normal undies.  Non underwired bra though
Rucksack = Osprey Tempest 20 - has all the features I want/like/need (bought cheap, on sale, with vouchers and Emergency Services discount)
Mapping - digital = cheap Alcatel pay as you go phone with all apps uninstalled except ViewRanger, dedicated to maps, navigation and travel only, always set to aeroplane mode but with the location/gps function activated
Mapping - analogue = various OS maps and printed A4 sheets with ziploc type freezer bags for waterproofing
Portable charger = Kodak, gives me 2 full charges of my phone
Camera - Sony something or other, on its last legs now due to a wash/dry cycle too many

Now, imagine all this lot in as many clashing colours as you could possibly have ..... and that's my kit  O0

videoman

« Reply #3 on: 23:16:41, 14/12/17 »
Great description of your kit Mel.  ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:27:56, 15/12/17 »
I'd love to but I've never learned the art of putting up a photo on the Forum.
First you need a free Flickr account
Next upload ya pics to Flickr
Then click the share icon
Then post on forum  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:05:08, 15/12/17 »
So if anyone wants any “cheap” kit refer to Mel’s post as cheap featured many times!  ;D  Why not if it works for you, Won‘t show my hubbie though, he’s a cheapskate...

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 12:45:35, 15/12/17 »
 Kit List
Waterproof Jacket & Legs = ZPacks 3:1 Poncho backpack cover and ground sheet, ULA rain wrap
 Windproof = Patagonia Houdini
 Insulated Jacket = Montbell Thermawrap
Underpants Paramo
Thermals= Silk long johns and T shirts to sleep in.
 Scarf = Buff
 Socks = Bridgedale Trekker, three pair
Footwear = Scott Kinabalu Supertrac trail runners
 Rucksack = Zpacks ArcBlast, Cuben fibre liner and stuff sacks.
 Mapping = Memory Map GB 1.25K on Lenovo 2 phone, OS maps and printed A4 sheets with Ziploc type freezer bag for waterproofing, Map case.
 Portable charger= Lenovo
 Camera –on phone
Shelter= Tarptent Notch maybe TarpTentT Moment in late Autumn/Winter.
Mountain Hardware Summerlite sleeping bag and Silk liner, Mountain Laurel Designs Superlite bivvy bag.
Stove = Caldera cone alky setup/ Infernal cone if woodburning.
Water treatment Sawyer Squeeze/ Aquaventure tabs
Sleeping pad = Klymit ¾ inflatable.sea to Summit pillow
Pacerpoles from PacerPoles
Worn
Mountain Hardware zipoff trousers
Rohan or Paramo long sleeved shirt
Rohan T shirt
Paramo underpants  
Hat =wide brimmed
1 pair Bridgdale Trekker socks.
Base weight=6.41 Kg. I often set off with three days food with a total weight of around 9Kg.
The Lenovo2 phone is heavy; about 175 gm as it has large battery but has 3 days continuous use so a charger is not always necessary. On longer treks I can go longer than three days as I switch only for clarity as I use the paper maps most of the time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:53:20, 15/12/17 »
Gear List:  https://snowdoniabackpacking.wordpress.com/gear-list/

I wear the same clothes for day walks, too, except for loopstitch wool socks in place of Sealskins, and if it's hot weather I swap the microfleece shirt for a polycotton Craghoppers one and the trousers for shorts.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy