Author Topic: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.  (Read 7223 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.
« Reply #30 on: 13:44:15, 01/03/18 »
Thank you for the info, i did not realise the Uk had received a severe RED weather warning as recently as 2013, its a rare event, more associated with the wilds of the Scottish Highlands, than SW Wales and England.
I wonder what the RED warning covers, high winds, rainfall, snow or just very severe weather.

We have had several of those silly named hurricanes over the past two years, and a RED weather warning was not issued, so i recon its got more to do with severe windchill and heavy snow.

Lets hope the punters in Tan Hill are warm as toast, and even though they have not been mentioned on the news, its the only place ive visited where a Snow mobile is stationed there 24/7 12months of the year,  I wonder why ?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:50:28, 01/03/18 »

Lets hope the punters in Tan Hill are warm as toast, and even though they have not been mentioned on the news, its the only place ive visited where a Snow mobile is stationed there 24/7 12months of the year,  I wonder why ?

The snow cat belongs to the pub, they used to have a piste basher at one time. It is not unknown for the snow to reach up to the eaves there and it is their main means of resupply in bad weather.  I have even nipped into there for a pint in May only to find my car plated by snow.  If you are looking for a 3 day lock-in, it is one of the best places to go.
« Last Edit: 16:37:09, 01/03/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:00:10, 01/03/18 »
be - Is the attitude of "I'm capable, feel confident in my own abilities and have the right kit for the job'

1- acceptable because it goes with testing yourself against the worse weather that can be thrown at you.
2 - Reckless & irresponsible
3 - perfectly fine, it's part & parcel of the hobby & goes with the territory
4 - Another answer

Provided they realise that death could come within the hour if they get caught in white out and lose all sense of direction.Rescue in those circumstances would most likely be impossible so the chances of survival would be quite slim.I don't know how tough the OP is but if he has got a good tolerance of the cold,no obvious health issues,is physical fit and trusts his experience then why not go for it?

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:32:30, 01/03/18 »
Ninthace, thanks for your candid reply.  It was after looking at the forecast that I choose those two days.  I haven't experienced a blizzard style white out.  But that is, perhaps rather perversely, what I am hoping to find and negotiate, to add to the learning bank. Hence I am trying to ensure I have all the bases covered before setting off.  I'm confident I have all the required skills.  I have just never had to use them in the sort of conditions that are forecast, for Thursday in particular. 

I'm planing a shortish route 4-5 miles. That I have walked dozens of times. Never more that a mile from a military road.  Starting in the shelter of Meldon Quary East into the wind in the relative shelter of Red a van brook and then breaking off  right to Yes tor.  A horrid boggy piece of ground in the spring months, but frozen solid when I was up there on Sunday.  Then heading across to High Wiilhays before heading SW to fordlands ledge and dropping into the valley, to head back to Meldon.  An pretty simple route on most days.  But I am not kidding myself that it will be simple on Thursday.  Just getting the car to Meldon quary may not be possible for example.  So I do appreciate the knowledge of those who have more experience of such conditions.

Personally, I think to deliberately put yourself in a known risk situation, just for the experience is bonkers. If you cannot tell where the path is visually, even an accurate GPS receiver will not stop you straying a yard or two into holes/ditches either side.

Having accidentally experienced a couple of white outs, notably on Cross Fell, it is frightening. You cannot see more than a few yards ahead, even with goggles which can also steam up. You cannot retract your steps because other than for a few feet, the snow will have obliterated them. My experience was pre GPS and I had to rely on compass readings. Obviously GPS is valuable in these circumstances but what if it fails.

The conditions being forecast for the SW over the next couple of days are dire and I really think the expedition unwise and may end up jeopardising MRTs.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:06:30, 01/03/18 »
1- acceptable because it goes with testing yourself against the worse weather that can be thrown at you.
2 - Reckless & irresponsible
3 - perfectly fine, it's part & parcel of the hobby & goes with the territory
4 - Another answer

1 and 3 if you have the necessary experience, which I believe the OP has, otherwise 2  O0
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:36:06, 01/03/18 »
It is not unknown for the sow ............. .   ..............only to find my cat plated by snow. 

pigs? cats on plates? ...... ?  has cabin fever set in?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:35:45, 01/03/18 »
pigs? cats on plates? ...... ?  has cabin fever set in?
  oops ------------------car! Changing it now ta! I blame cabin fever; I'm snowed in now.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 17:01:54, 01/03/18 »
The temperature has now touched -6C outside my home at 3-27pm, and that's out of the wind and in the shade facing North.
Thankfully little snow has fallen here on the North Wales coast, but even for this part of Snowdonia, regarded for his higher than average temperatures, that is pretty cold.
I will have to check the average seasonal temperatures for Dyffryn, but -6C away from the main summits of the Rhinogs, is quite rare.

Iolo's last episode on Snowdonia is well worth catching, as he highlight's the severe winter conditions associated in the Northern Carneddau.

He does an epic traverse of the Northern Carneddau from Gerlan, eventually reaching the Foel Grach hut for a quiet break away from the artic conditions, even he thought conditions were bad, so top marks for the cameramen braving such weather.

His camera men must have had hard time of it.

I just cannot imagine what conditions must be like there this week, a shame nobody has left a hi/low thermometer to record the lowest temperature.

If its -6C here on the coast, 3400ft above sea level, does not bare thinking about-- BRASS MONKEY"S.

Nothing has so far been reported on the news regarding this Beast from the East climatic conditions, but it may set a few early March records for unseasonably low temperatures, and its not done with us as yet.
« Last Edit: 17:15:15, 01/03/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 19:06:00, 01/03/18 »
Still here.  ;)   Enjoyed a good walk today.   Not much snow, but what there was was travelling rather quickly. O0   The route planning paid dividends.   I doubt I could have taken that wind chill for a straight walk up, my upper lip was numb with cold until I got past the saddle of Doe Tor and dropped in, tucked under, the right hand bank of the brook.  The top of Great Links Tor was a no stopping zone too.  I'm not sure what the wind speed was, but I could not stand up.  So carried on to little Links for my lunch stop. Last tea stop was down at the bridge not far from the car.  Thoroughly enjoyed the day, so what did I learn?

Micro spikes work really well on properly frozen bogs.  Without them I would have struggled and had to walk a different, far more exposed, route up

My £2 mitts and £2.49, gardening glove still do a fine job in pretty extreme wind chill.

I need a balaclava next time it's that cold.

Planning the right route for the forecast conditions and sticking to it, pays dividends.

Another great day in the hills ticked off today and as an added bonus I didn't need my shovel to dig the car out.  ;)

Took loads of photos, but can never seem to uploads them to this sight.

« Last Edit: 19:13:59, 01/03/18 by BuzyG »

Tin

« Reply #39 on: 19:17:59, 01/03/18 »
Still here.  ;)   Enjoyed a good walk today.   Not much snow, but what there was was travelling rather quickly. O0   The route planning paid dividends.   I doubt I could have taken that wind chill for a straight walk up, my upper lip was numb with cold until I got past the saddle of Doe Tor and dropped in, tucked under, the right hand bank of the brook.  The top of Great Links Tor was a no stopping zone too.  I'm not sure what the wind speed was, but I could not stand up.  So carried on to little Links for my lunch stop. Last tea stop was down at the bridge not far from the car.  Thoroughly enjoyed the day, so what did I learn?

Micro spikes work really well on properly frozen bogs.  Without them I would have struggled and had to walk a different, far more exposed, route up

My £2 mitts and £2.49, gardening glove still do a fine job in pretty extreme wind chill.

Planning the right route for the forecast conditions and sticking to it, pays dividends.

Another great day in the hills ticked off today and as an added bonus I didn't need my shovel to dig the car out.  ;)

Took loads of photos, but can never seem to uploads them to this sight.

Glad to hear you made it back okay and also that you enjoyed it O0

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:19:08, 01/03/18 »
Pleased to hear you are safely home.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:03:21, 01/03/18 »

Plenty of Highlander Thinsulate-lined ones available cheaply on Amazon and eBay.
I bought one in November and I'm quite pleased with it. I've found I can alternatively wear it as a thick beanie hat if I push the neck part up inside the head part.

Maggot

« Reply #42 on: 20:30:09, 01/03/18 »
I would not bother with a balaclava, Buffs are the answer!  I always have about 8 in my bag, one as a snood, one as a face mask, one as a hat.....the possibilities are truly endless  O0

6 for £8.99 here

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:38:16, 01/03/18 »
Only piece of army kit I have left is my 'hoodover', not sure what it's really called but basically it's a tube of material.  You shove your head through it and it sits around your neck.  You can then pull it up from the back so it covers back and top of your head, and your ears, and also pull it up at the front if needed to cover as much of your face as you want.  Brilliant piece of kit, better than a balaclava and I guess similar to a buff  :-\
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:45:44, 01/03/18 »
Mrs jimbob knit me a very very fine merino wool buff but with a good few extra inches. She said that the wool was very cheap off the interweb and it only took her about 15 minutes to knit the tube.  It is truly great in this type of weather. A bit too warm for spring simmer or autumn. I use it just like Sussamb  describes his army thingy.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy