Author Topic: Is this possible with 3 months training?  (Read 5067 times)

Rambling Dunne

Re: Is this possible with 3 months training?
« Reply #15 on: 15:18:55, 12/03/18 »
Plenty of time to train for the 20 just take it slow and dont over do yourself

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:13:53, 12/03/18 »
....yes it did feel like a blister was close to forming.

Out of curiosity, do you have any hard/dead/calloused skin in that area?  That can sometimes cause a hotspot and be a precursor to a blister forming.  If you have, see a chiropodist to have the hard skin removed.

Ray-S

« Reply #17 on: 21:13:44, 17/03/18 »
Think I might have sorted the foot problem.  Previously I was using merino wool socks from Mountain Warehouse but this morning I bought some anti blister socks from Trespass and used them this afternoon on Askham Fell doing the same walk as last weekend and there was no pain. Granted it was unbelievably cold today so probably less sweaty feet but they felt good. Need to try them again when it is not below freezing and see how they perform.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:49:32, 18/03/18 »
Ray are you just wearing one thick pair of socks?  If so try a pair of cotton sports socks under your wool socks, if there's room.  Keep the increases in distance gradual.  Your feet will toughen up, with regular walking, but it takes time. The last thing you want is blisters.

Ray-S

« Reply #19 on: 19:08:26, 18/03/18 »
Hi BuzyG.   The merino wool socks were just the one thick pair but the anti blister socks I wore on Saturday were much the same thickness overall but had a thin liner inside the main sock. Reasoning being the foot remains steady in the liner and the liner moves within the main sock so no rubbing on your foot. Seems to work but it was so cold on Saturday I don't think there was any chance of sweat build up.  Will let you know how I get on in the coming weeks.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:46:42, 20/03/18 »
Hi Ray a good 11 - 12 miler to try out first is the Kentmere Horseshoe, similar ups and downs as the Catbells etc route.
Don't rely too much on treadmill training, good for keeping your leg muscles fluid, but the machine is driving you, out on the hills it's your legs that are doing the driving.

Ray-S

« Reply #21 on: 18:53:23, 20/03/18 »
Will have a look for the Kentmere Horseshoe but not sure if I am ready for 12 miles yet. Thanks for that idea though. Getting fed up with the treadmill now and the lighter nights are almost here anyway.  Bought a 30 Litre back pack at the weekend and filled it with bricks. Did 1 hr 40 mins on the road last night with that on my back and was glad to get home. Probably do Askham Fell again at the weekend but with less bricks lol. 

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:45:11, 21/03/18 »
Filling your sack with bricks? I once filled mine with sand but got quickly fed up about it. Filling it with water (bottles or bladders) is better you can easily offload some if it gets too much. It is also easier to work out the weight, 1 litre = 1 Kilogramme.

Ray-S

« Reply #23 on: 20:20:18, 31/03/18 »
Managed 4 hours today without sore feet so either my feet are toughening up or the anti blister socks are working well. Was thankful for the advice (above from Slogger) re using water as ballast as I had to offload 12 pints on the way back. Probably due to not having any food or drinking water with me and I was starting to wilt. Idiot but know better now. Six hours this weekend so far so getting there slowly.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 06:49:07, 01/04/18 »
Offload as in get rid of or Offload as in drink! Hopefully you weren't that dehydrated but it is important to manage your hydration when out walking, more so even than food.
Where there's a will ...

Ray-S

« Reply #25 on: 21:34:10, 01/04/18 »
Offload as in tip the water out of the containers. It wasn't drinkable anyway. Did 4 hours today but made sure I had food and drink with me and managed better than yesterday. Problem I have is that I can't eat enough. A very modest meal has me feeling stuffed for hours because (they tell me) the radiotherapy to my stomach has made the stomach tissue stiffer so it doesn't expand like it should. Need to try and eat little and often. I was 10st 7lb at Xmas and down to 9st 4lb now despite eating as best I can and taking protein shakes every day. Getting fitter though so hopeful of doing the 20 mile 10 fell challenge on June 2nd.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:33:44, 05/04/18 »
Well done Ray, keep the training going  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ray-S

« Reply #27 on: 16:58:02, 15/04/18 »
Well things were going well until yesterday.  Went to Keswick and walked up Lattrigg, over the top and down the other side then went up Skiddaw. Thought I had got to the top only to find it went down and then up again to the proper top so carried on. Was cold on the top, still some snow lying and windy but was good. Headed back down the same way and made it about halfway before I got a severe pain in my right knee. Sort of front right /outer.  Struggled to the bottom, back up Lattrigg was manageable but going down the other side to the car was agony.  Got home and could walk on the flat but going up or down stairs was impossible. Today it is much better provided I keep moving. If I sit down for more than 5 minutes the first 10 steps are murder then it eases and I can walk almost normally.  Can go up and down stairs now so hopefully no lasting damage.  Skiddaw is by far the steepest hill I have gone down, the longest downhill, the roughest downhill and I wasn't hanging about so maybe too much too soon.  Should have tried to blag a lift back to Keswick from the Skiddaw car park which might have saved some damage but I am too stupid to give in.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:29:20, 15/04/18 »
Could be slight lateral ligament strain, or pinching of cartilage. Cartilage tears of the meniscus are more painful on descent than ascent. lots of people have slight tears but are not aware of them until they do something that agravates the area more than usual. I did the training and ran three marathons whilst awaiting an operation for a torn meniscus, very painful going downhill.

Ray-S

« Reply #29 on: 18:19:07, 17/04/18 »
Not all doom and gloom fortunately.  Much to my surprise after the severe pain of Saturday and uncomfortable Sunday and Monday I am back to normal. Admittedly I haven't tried walking downhill but walking to work and back and on my feet all day is causing no pain so hopefully got away with it. Got to work on Saturday so will try Askham Fell and Arthurs Pike on Sunday morning as they are not so steep and are smoother than Skiddaw.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy