Author Topic: Could these work as hiking/walking boots?  (Read 1194 times)

Beccaleccaspecca

Could these work as hiking/walking boots?
« on: 03:09:41, 21/03/18 »
So I’m looking for a pair of boots that will work as “adventure boots”. Bear with me here... I am basically a complete newbie to hiking so I may say some very naive things here but I need boots that will work for hiking but also work for wearing while motorcycling and somewhat offer protection.

I’ve found some called the “Belleville F650 Woman’s USAF Waterproof Combat Boot” (the ones without the steel toe haha!)
and wondered if I’m being stupid in thinking they would be a good choice? Do you have any similar suggestions otherwise?

Preferably... Calf high, waterproof, grippy, Brown boots... I like leather and goretech but open to suggestions! 😂 I’m unbelievably picky and I’m just wondering if I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist? The closest I’ve got is military combat boots but I’m concerned about the weight!
« Last Edit: 03:12:47, 21/03/18 by Beccaleccaspecca »

motorlaunch

Re: Could these work as hiking/walking boots?
« Reply #1 on: 07:44:48, 21/03/18 »
The simple answer is yes. Any footwear can be walked in, it depends on the level of comfort/discomfort they provide for the terrain you walk in. Your post suggests that they will be primarily for your motorcycling. Buy them first for your motorcycling and also use them for walking.  ::)

Maggot

« Reply #2 on: 08:00:57, 21/03/18 »
They are 'combat boots', so have a think what the Army may use them for.  I used mine for travelling across rough terrain of all sorts, marching, running, motorcycling, parachuting, going on parade, fighting, driving, assault courses, smartening up and getting shiney.......

Your boots will be absolutely fine, just stick on 'em on your feet and go for a walk, you'll be great.  Enjoy  O0

RogerA

« Reply #3 on: 09:24:42, 21/03/18 »
The thing I'm finding is that for walking there is a lot of very expensive very technical equipment out there ... you could spend a fortune and I'm sure some do ... however none of it is absolutely needed.

I think for most people you can start with what you've got without spending a penny. Then as you walk and you find somethings not comfortable or awkward (maybe your trousers soak up water or your coat is too hot or you'd like a dedicated pair of boots) you can look for an alternative ... my approach has been that if I'm not sure I'll buy something reasonably cheap so if its a mistake its a cheap one. Over the short time I've been walking replaced very little.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:10:51, 21/03/18 »
Reminds me of the time when I commuted to London by motor bike. I tried and tried to find a pair of motorcycle boots that looked like ordinary shoes/boots and could be used at my workplace as well. No luck, they all looked butch or had studs and logos on them. I now know what women have go through to keep their jobs because they are made to buy high heels, but would perhaps prefer to wear flat shoes. I'm reasonably sure your idea would work. For me it would be about, are they waterproof, can you be blister free and are they comfortable over long distances?

janner

« Reply #5 on: 13:46:48, 21/03/18 »
Take a look at hunting boots, like hiking boots but longer.

Beccaleccaspecca

« Reply #6 on: 14:58:03, 21/03/18 »
They are 'combat boots', so have a think what the Army may use them for.  I used mine for travelling across rough terrain of all sorts, marching, running, motorcycling, parachuting, going on parade, fighting, driving, assault courses, smartening up and getting shiney.......

Your boots will be absolutely fine, just stick on 'em on your feet and go for a walk, you'll be great.  Enjoy  O0

Love this, thanks! I thought they would be perfect because if people in the Army can use them and be comfortable and protected then they seem almost too perfect, haha! Thanks again  :)

Beccaleccaspecca

« Reply #7 on: 14:59:18, 21/03/18 »
The thing I'm finding is that for walking there is a lot of very expensive very technical equipment out there ... you could spend a fortune and I'm sure some do ... however none of it is absolutely needed.

I think for most people you can start with what you've got without spending a penny. Then as you walk and you find somethings not comfortable or awkward (maybe your trousers soak up water or your coat is too hot or you'd like a dedicated pair of boots) you can look for an alternative ... my approach has been that if I'm not sure I'll buy something reasonably cheap so if its a mistake its a cheap one. Over the short time I've been walking replaced very little.

Definitely, I agree! I am happy to do this with other gear but I think shoes are a biggie for me because I have issues with my ankles so I need as much support as I can get for riding and walking. As for the rest - I'm happy to go with trial and error!  O0

Beccaleccaspecca

« Reply #8 on: 15:01:01, 21/03/18 »
Reminds me of the time when I commuted to London by motor bike. I tried and tried to find a pair of motorcycle boots that looked like ordinary shoes/boots and could be used at my workplace as well. No luck, they all looked butch or had studs and logos on them. I now know what women have go through to keep their jobs because they are made to buy high heels, but would perhaps prefer to wear flat shoes. I'm reasonably sure your idea would work. For me it would be about, are they waterproof, can you be blister free and are they comfortable over long distances?

This is the thing! I was to go adventure riding but still have something that if I hop off my bike and go climbing up a mountain on the way round, that I am still comfortable! I need to take a leaf out of Lara Croft's book!  ;D  Waterproof is definitely a must have, and comfort... I wouldn't be caught in heels for longer than 10 minutes so it's their loss if a company wants me to wear heels for a job - hahaha!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:02:11, 21/03/18 »
Had a quick look at the Belleville F650 Women’s USAF Waterproof Combat Boot and from what I can see they offer little or no ankle support so not much good for hiking.

You may find something more suitable here http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/military-boots/ or from the Hogg Dual Use range here http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/

Apart from the cost the only other problem is you can have the Hoggs in any colour you want as long as it's black.  ;D
« Last Edit: 16:12:16, 21/03/18 by kinkyboots »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:50:03, 21/03/18 »
I now know what women have go through to keep their jobs because they are made to buy high heels, ....

I should be so lucky.  I have to wear Doc Marten shoes for work  :(   The only plus point to that is I don't have to pay for them.   O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy