Author Topic: Hey up. Another C2C plan.  (Read 3363 times)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Hey up. Another C2C plan.
« on: 21:13:32, 15/06/18 »
OK, so I haven't looked in for a while, but I've finally got round to pinning down some dates for the C2C.  And while I was researching accommodation n stuff, I remembered this forum is full of info.
It won't be until May next year.   All advice appreciated, and probably walking partners on occasions, since I am doing it on me own.

I'm already trying to improve my fitness, but I have a problem with my left foot (probably plantar fasciitis, correct diagnosis would require an expert rather than Google) which means I end up limping after about 7 miles.  My boots are good, but I need new trail shoes. 

At the moment I'm trying to work out accommodation and where to start and end each day.  I've already booked the Honister Hause, but I am hoping to camp in St Bees and Ennerdale. 
Grasmere and Patterdale are sorted, (I know a man with a campervan  ;) ;) ), and I live in Richmond, so thats Reeth, Richmond and perhaps the next stop sorted.

As I said, all advice gratefully recieved.

Twiggy2

Re: Hey up. Another C2C plan.
« Reply #1 on: 21:42:56, 15/06/18 »
It's a lovely walk and I was in Reeth-ingleby cross just a weeks ago, we wild camped for 2 nights and had no problems.
You live in one of my favourite areas and we will be back that way for more walking in the future.
I am moving to the Highlands in a few weeks and will be exploring round there unless the midges drive me out.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:12:50, 16/06/18 »
I've started booking for my C2C next year too,  but for end June/early July, and unusually for me a friend is going to tag along, always walked LDWs solo in the past so hoping that doesn't screw it up  O0

While looking at the route it seems the official route from the Lion Inn is to follow the road north but just opposite the inn there's a footpath down onto another footpath that appears to follow the disused Rosedale railway line contouring around the valley and linking up with a path that goes roughly northeast from Dale Head farm.  As someone averse to road walking does anyone know if this is a viable alternative?
Where there's a will ...

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:52:14, 16/06/18 »
Hi Sussamb
I have walked around that way.  The walk around the valley following the railway line is wonderful, but them there sides are steep and hard work if I remember rightly, although we didn't leave the railway line at the point  you've suggested. 

Checkout https://becausetheyrethere.com/2013/03/11/only-a-rosedale-i-give-you/or my blog http://dittzzy.blogspot.com/2013/10/what-difference-rail-makes.html

« Last Edit: 09:05:27, 16/06/18 by dittzzy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:05:14, 16/06/18 »
Thanks.  Yes, there is a bit of down and up but as it avoids the road I'm happy with that  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:27:08, 16/06/18 »
Thanks.  Yes, there is a bit of down and up but as it avoids the road I'm happy with that  O0

Probably depends on the weather conditions at the time. Following the road isn't that bad as it has grass verges until it turns off and then I'm sure it's also grass verges after you turn off.

I'd also think the detour would mean you miss out Fat Betty.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:45:27, 16/06/18 »
I'd also think the detour would mean you miss out Fat Betty.

I could live with that  ;D
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:48:04, 16/06/18 »
I would go the road way too Jon; particularly if you are planning to get to RHB that day. As Bricam says, there are broad verges of springy turf and there is a path that cuts off the corner of the road bringing back onto the c2c at Fat Betty. The Dale Head route is as I recall a bit more fiddly and harder work

John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:28:24, 17/06/18 »
Cheers, useful info  O0
Where there's a will ...

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:10:48, 17/06/18 »
I have a different issue about that stretch of the walk.  I'm managed to reduce just about all of the long days to less than 20 miles, by increasing mileage on other days.
Any ideas on how to even out the walk from Richmond to the Lion Inn?

I have already worked out that I can walk from Reeth straight through Richmond to Catterick Bridge or further, and my other half will pick me up and take me home for the night from wherever.  That reduces the Richmond - Osmotherly stretch.  But what about Osmotherly to Blakey Ridge?  I cannot work out where to stay to make that  stretch of the walk at around 15-18 miles.

I'm happy to consider any idea, as long as it's cheap.  :D :D   We have a tiny lightweight Vango so I can wild camp if that is feasible.  (Info I found on Cleveland Way quite clearly sez no).
Any suggestions?

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:34:19, 17/06/18 »
From Osmotherley YHA it is only about 19 miles to the Lion if you cut up the lane past the reservoir and the start of the LWW to join the C2C route as it drops to the road. The last 9 miles are pretty flat too. (Takes me about 9 hrs and I am not a fast walker). Richmond to Osmotherley is about the same in time if you cut across from Deepdale to E Harsley and thence by the side of Mount Grace Priory and up through the woods (it is pretty easy to follow on the ground). Ingleby X is an easier walk. If you can do these distances; why just do Reeth to Richmond? It is a 4 hr walk

John O0

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:34:57, 17/06/18 »
You can camp at the Bluebell at Ingleby

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:52:49, 17/06/18 »
Yes, we're planning to stay at the Blue Bell inn, from there to Lion Inn while it's 20 miles it looks fairly easy ... might regret saying that later  ;D
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:57:58, 17/06/18 »
Yes, we're planning to stay at the Blue Bell inn, from there to Lion Inn while it's 20 miles it looks fairly easy ... might regret saying that later  ;D

Depends lol.

It's a bit of a slog up from Ingleby through the woods and then some more up's and down's before you reach Carlton Bank, then you have a choice. Either take the roller coaster walk passing the Wainstones or take the bridleway and stay low down, the paths meet just before Clay Bank. The weather might decide this for you  O0

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:14:30, 18/06/18 »
Cheers  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy